License Plate Recognition Technology to be used in Disneyland Resort Parking Areas

AJFireman

Original Poster
Just looked at the Parking information for the Disneyland Resort Complex and this was at the top saying Automatic License Plate Readers will be used at select parking locations. I have not seen this anywhere else.

1592882699640.png

Here are there primary reasons for security to use this technology. Also talks about termination employees guess they will be checking if they are parking where they are supposed to be parking.
1592882941699.png

Here is the ALPR Usage and Privacy Policy https://disneyland.disney.go.com/alpr/

Ismael Flores

that makes sense, i have heard of teenagers trying to avoid paying the fee for the parking by passing around the paper ticket stub from one car to another. with the plate scanner the ticket can be linked to the car.

It might also be a way of contact tracing for the virus eventhough they do not say it. If they need to see who visited the parks during certain times they might be able to use the plate info to contact people.

Darkbeer1

Your license plate as probably been read multiple times on Anaheim City Streets. The city gets Federal Funding for anti-terrorism, and includes ALPR's on fixed sights, and on law enforcement vehicles.

https://www.expertlawfirm.com/orange-county-automatic-license-plate-reader-systems/

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
It might also be a way of contact tracing for the virus eventhough they do not say it. If they need to see who visited the parks during certain times they might be able to use the plate info to contact people.
This would only be if Disney is actively having you register your vehicle that connects to your park ticket or AP. As far as I know, they aren't doing that, right? I don't have an AP with parking connected to it. Do they have you register your license plate numbers, or simply scan your AP when you are ready to park?

Otherwise, (and correct me if I'm wrong) you can't just look up someone's personal information based on their plate number. You can get VIN, make, model, and vehicle history, but not the owner's personal information.....unless you go through law enforcement and have good reason.

I just read the ALPR Usage and Privacy Policy. Basically they would use the info for assisting in locating a lost vehicle, prevent unauthorized use of facilities, and investigate a violation of policies or illegal activity.

So basically they will read and store your plate numbers (for a limited period of time they didn't disclose), and use them for either helping find your car or turn them over to law enforcement upon request if something illegal was happening. Due to privacy laws, they cannot store connect your personal information with your license number without your consent.

cmwade77

This would only be if Disney is actively having you register your vehicle that connects to your park ticket or AP. As far as I know, they aren't doing that, right? I don't have an AP with parking connected to it. Do they have you register your license plate numbers, or simply scan your AP when you are ready to park?

Otherwise, (and correct me if I'm wrong) you can't just look up someone's personal information based on their plate number. You can get VIN, make, model, and vehicle history, but not the owner's personal information.....unless you go through law enforcement and have good reason.

I just read the ALPR Usage and Privacy Policy. Basically they would use the info for assisting in locating a lost vehicle, prevent unauthorized use of facilities, and investigate a violation of policies or illegal activity.

So basically they will read and store your plate numbers (for a limited period of time they didn't disclose), and use them for either helping find your car or turn them over to law enforcement upon request if something illegal was happening. Due to privacy laws, they cannot store connect your personal information with your license number without your consent.
Actually, you can do a full background check on the vehicle owner with nothing more than the license plate number. There are plenty of websites that offer such services.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Actually, you can do a full background check on the vehicle owner with nothing more than the license plate number. There are plenty of websites that offer such services.
Well, yes and no. By yes, I mean there are sites that offer it for a price. By no, I mean that if you've ever followed through on trying to purchasing it, you'll always get to a point where it asks you why you are doing it. Doing so requires legitimate reasons, and for California they are:
  • Motor vehicle safety or theft
  • Legitimate business
  • Civil, criminal, administrative or arbitral purposes
  • Insurance purposes
  • Employer of commercial drivers
  • Any other use specifically authorized under California law
Obviously anyone can just lie about their intent and do it. It's basically an honor system and if you're on a VPN you can mask your IP or whatnot.

So after more research, I do amend what I said previously about only law enforcement agencies being able to do it.

Going back to Disney's use or their license plate readers, after reading their privacy policy on it, it doesn't seem like they will use your plate info except for the reasons they listed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
First let me just say I don't believe this is new. I remember as far back as 2016, maybe before, parking at M&F and them scanning my license plate while they looked up my AP.

Second I believe this site is just a declaration of data collection in relation to privacy that is required in CA by the new CCPA that went into effect January 1st.

So basically nothing to see here. Disney as far as I can tell has been scanning and collecting license plate information for at least 4-5 years now.

Darkbeer1

>> Stanton recently joined the groundswell of cities using automatic license-plate readers by leasing eight, at $2,000 apiece, for a year, according to city documents. They are affixed to light poles on Beach Boulevard and Katella Avenue. When they spot plates on reported stolen cars, vehicles with Amber Alerts on them or any other vehicle being sought by officers, real-time alerts are sent to the police.<<

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom