Liberty Square Market Seating Area Demolished

LuvWDW2

Wow, so much defensiveness by everyone here. Disney has a history of taking away seating and shade. But sometimes a refresh really is just a refresh (especially since this one went undiscussed until it started). I think the summer heat is making a ton of people extra testy.

Brenthodge

Meanwhile at Dollywood they add tons of seating and open areas. This area and others have grown in nicely in the past year and have increased shade. There’s no way Disney would allow this
Much real estate with no retail or food sales component attached anymore. It’s nice to see a regional park really stepping up the focus on guest experience.
462AF1A0-61E0-4709-B652-A8C7811C52F0.jpeg

solidyne

Meanwhile at Dollywood they add tons of seating and open areas. This area and others have grown in nicely in the past year and have increased shade. There’s no way Disney would allow this
Much real estate with no retail or food sales component attached anymore. It’s nice to see a regional park really stepping up the focus on guest experience. View attachment 395533
Where are the strollers?
(Some negative humor there.)

eddie104

Much real estate with no retail or food sales component attached anymore. It’s nice to see a regional park really stepping up the focus on guest experience. View attachment 395533
Does it even get a quarter of the visitors that Disney gets though ??

The Empress Lilly

This has always been a difficult area. I don't recall an era where it really worked, for whatever function it fullfilled.

The central square (of Liberty 'Square') is too wide and unusable because they decided to run the parade route through it. The resting area is on the side, straddling along the side of the HoP showbuilding, a bit of a lost space used as a lawn, or queue overflow, or seating area. Neither one ever truly looking great.

Let's see if they get it right this time. Or at least find a workable balance between attractiveness, theme and practicality.

celluloid

I am guessing it is part of a streamlined process to wait and get your food, or add more merch/vending opportunities.

Fun Fact that may have already have been mentioned: The Market area and structure was originally the Hall of President's Extended queue.

Brenthodge

Does it even get a quarter of the visitors that Disney gets though ??
Probably not. But their attendance is rapidly increasing. That’s exactly why they are creating areas like this to improve guest experience and increase the surface area for people do it doesnt feel cramped. Their new area is literally lined in wide planters that offer seating and shaded areas with ....wait for it...benches. All mixed through with the rides to create a relaxing atmosphere.

TrainsOfDisney

To be fair..... that area used to be a family attraction that was taken out (they just opened up a new family area so it was made up for... but still).

That area was designed with holiday events in mind, allowing large crowds to gather around the Christmas tree to watch the light show. So there is for sure a revenue idea there.... but yes in general I agree. Dollywood gets it. Water features all over the place, shade, seating. Great park.

peter11435

Also they probably get MUCH LESS a than a quarter of the revenue Disney gets, yet they seem to understand the need for spending on areas for guest relaxation that are open to all guests at all times.
Remember that area a hundred yards from the market that Disney built just a few years ago that is nothing but tree shaded tables and chairs with charging stations, fans, and drinking fountains?

Brenthodge

To be fair..... that area used to be a family attraction that was taken out (they just opened up a new family area so it was made up for... but still).

That area was designed with holiday events in mind, allowing large crowds to gather around the Christmas tree to watch the light show. So there is for sure a revenue idea there.... but yes in general I agree. Dollywood gets it. Water features all over the place, shade, seating. Great park.
There is revenue (light up toys) for a few nights (during Halloween Illuninights and Christmas) during the year, but for the bulk of the season it is not a revenue generating area. My point is when they took out River Battle it would have been easy to have filled the area with a food service and retail location or some other type of ROI project, they choose not to in an attempt to enhance flow and overall guest experience. That just illustrates a difference in thinking where not every inch of the park has to meet income expectations.

Sorry - not being difficult, just clarifying a bit as I am very familiar with that area and the park in general.

TrainsOfDisney

There is revenue (light up toys) for a few nights (during Halloween Illuninights and Christmas) during the year, but for the bulk of the season it is not a revenue generating area. My point is when they took out River Battle it would have been easy to have filled the area with a food service and retail location or some other type of ROI project, they choose not to in an attempt to enhance flow and overall guest experience. That just illustrates a difference in thinking where not every inch of the park has to meet income expectations.

Sorry - not being difficult, just clarifying a bit as I am very familiar with that area and the park in general.

Oh I don’t think we are disagreeing. It was designed with guest flow in mind for sure. Every season it has a feature. Christmas the tree, pumpkin tree for Halloween, and the water feature for the rest of the year.

What it does for revenue is increase the capacity and lower the crowding for the Christmas event. The Christmas event as a whole is a huge money maker for Dollywood, so focusing on it, even if it means taking out a family attraction, makes sense for them. That’s what I was getting at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom