Let's go to Disney World in 1973

mergatroid

Original Poster
A wonderful piece of footage of the Magic Kingdom from way back in 1973. Funny looking at the differences then and it's amazing to see how fashion has changed! I first went in about 1977 but genuinely can't remember people dressing like that (I'm sure we'll look back in 20 years and say the same). It's also interesting how colours seem to have changed in the park as well, looks almost like a different park in various ways.

Just a fun blast from the past really, enjoy

Wont link direct so link here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=15W1Q-1hnDk&list=WL&index=106

John park hopper

Went in May 72 fresh out of the service it was an amazing time to go, society was so different than today. I know I will get some flack for saying this (don't care) people were more civil, CM's had a dress and appearance code, parks were spotless, everything worked and prices were reasonable--like 50 cents to park, dog kennel was a buck. No FP, lightning lane, everyone was treated equally to attractions --lines moved quickly. No rose colored glasses that's how it was.

Chi84

Premium Member
Went in May 72 fresh out of the service it was an amazing time to go, society was so different than today. I know I will get some flack for saying this (don't care) people were more civil, CM's had a dress and appearance code, parks were spotless, everything worked and prices were reasonable--like 50 cents to park, dog kennel was a buck. No FP, lightning lane, everyone was treated equally to attractions --lines moved quickly. No rose colored glasses that's how it was.
Things moved faster back when the elderly and disabled were not accommodated in many public places. I agree that many things are worse now, but some are definitely better.

Minnesota disney fan

A wonderful piece of footage of the Magic Kingdom from way back in 1973. Funny looking at the differences then and it's amazing to see how fashion has changed! I first went in about 1977 but genuinely can't remember people dressing like that (I'm sure we'll look back in 20 years and say the same). It's also interesting how colours seem to have changed in the park as well, looks almost like a different park in various ways.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=15W1Q-1hnDk&list=WL&index=106Thanks for that, Mergatroid:)
We first went to WDW in l977, and a lot of ladies wore dresses and the men dressed up a bit too. It was lovely and not very crowded at all. It was clean and the CM's all seemed happy to be there. What I remember the most was that there was no stress involved with our visit. We just wandered around and rode what we wanted when we wanted. I really miss those times, and have moved on to Universal. But I still get nostalgic for WDW at times, especially remembering all those past times at WDW.

some other guy

I was sorta expecting this to be funposting of "if we were there then" like "oh wow completely ruined the theming by dropping the 'Tempo' and name they had to be SO on the nose with 'Contemporary', AND they still didn't update the logo? This place is gonna be folding in a month, good luck getting that Venetian Resort they were blue skying lolololol"

John park hopper

Things moved faster back when the elderly and disabled were not accommodated in many public places. I agree that many things are worse now, but some are definitely better.
WDW in 1972 did accomadate

While visitors today are familiar with the myriad accommodations for individuals with disabilities available at Disney parks and resorts you may wonder what the experience was like in the Magic Kingdom’s opening year.

To mark the occasion we are adding to our archive the very first accessibility guide produced for Magic Kingdom in 1971 along with a Wheelchair Identification Tag receipt that accompanied it. A whimsical cartoon featuring Doc and Happy from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Doc is pushing Happy in the chair.

Opening the guide you find a listing of attractions that can accommodate a wheelchair and guidance that most restaurants and shops can welcome them as well as the location of accessible bathrooms in the park.

There is an auxiliary listing of attractions where small children could be lifted from their chair and onto the attraction.

We’re pleased to add this interesting piece of early park ephemera to our archive and mark National Disability Independence Day.
Disney-Handicap-Pass-Guide-1972-Inside.jpg

Disney-Handicap-Wheelchair-or-Stroller-Ticket-1972.jpg

Chi84

Premium Member

While visitors today are familiar with the myriad accommodations for individuals with disabilities available at Disney parks and resorts you may wonder what the experience was like in the Magic Kingdom’s opening year.

To mark the occasion we are adding to our archive the very first accessibility guide produced for Magic Kingdom in 1971 along with a Wheelchair Identification Tag receipt that accompanied it. A whimsical cartoon featuring Doc and Happy from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Doc is pushing Happy in the chair.

Opening the guide you find a listing of attractions that can accommodate a wheelchair and guidance that most restaurants and shops can welcome them as well as the location of accessible bathrooms in the park.

There is an auxiliary listing of attractions where small children could be lifted from their chair and onto the attraction.

We’re pleased to add this interesting piece of early park ephemera to our archive and mark National Disability Independence Day.
View attachment 771570

View attachment 771571
Disney was definitely at the forefront when it came to disability accommodations. I would argue, though, that the existence of FP lanes made the parks much more accessible to people with non-mobility disabilities.

Also, necessary accommodations aside, the ability to avoid standing in long lines has made the parks much more attractive to multi-generational parties. I think FP resulted in a better experience for them.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

View attachment 771570

View attachment 771571

Still love that logo as the primary. It's been relegated now to secondary position but to me that was "The Bubble"

MickeyLuv'r

www.youtube.com/watch?v=15W1Q-1hnDk&list=WL&index=106
I'm of somewhat the opposite opinion. I am amazed by how much today's MK resembles 1970's MK. Most of the amusement parks and tourist sites I visited in the 1970's are long gone.

Those that remain, like Cape Canaveral, look nothing like they did in the 1970's. Most 1970's restaurants I knew in FL and elsewhere are long gone (though most of today's dining is much better).

Most of the hotels I visited in the 1970's are also long gone. (Alas, South of the Border is still around!) It is fun that the Contemporary and Poly are still around, if both have now changed quite a bit.

Last year I was sad to see a large tree get chopped down at the Poly. It was next to the outdoor Dole Whip window.

Lilofan

I'm of somewhat the opposite opinion. I am amazed by how much today's MK resembles 1970's MK. Most of the amusement parks and tourist sites I visited in the 1970's are long gone.

Those that remain, like Cape Canaveral, look nothing like they did in the 1970's. Most 1970's restaurants I knew in FL and elsewhere are long gone (though most of today's dining is much better).

Most of the hotels I visited in the 1970's are also long gone. (Alas, South of the Border is still around!) It is fun that the Contemporary and Poly are still around, if both have now changed quite a bit.

Last year I was sad to see a large tree get chopped down at the Poly. It was next to the outdoor Dole Whip window.
South of the Border looks like its hasn't been cleaned since the 1970s.

jloucks

This bought back memories of how quiet it could be walking around areas of WDW and you could just hear the music and no queues. We went back after a 15 year break last year and obviously saw quite a few differences.
Good point. Mobs of people making people noises drown out whatever ambiance sounds there might be.

WDW could do what Six Flags used to do and just CRANK up all the speakers. ...you think MK is obnoxiously loud,, here hold my beer.

15 years is about right. 12 years ago we went in early may and it was wonderful. ...it got worse every year after that.

jloucks

View attachment 771570

View attachment 771571
Ok gatta say this was pretty impressive. You win the internets today. 🏆

JIMINYCR

Thanks for the view of WDW back then. Back in the 70s I was still dreaming of one day having the chance to visit WDW. When I finally did go years later (and with a family) it was very similar then to the look and feel of the park as shown in the video. Slowly conditions changed and has made it more challenging to go. But its always nice to look back and remember the good times.

John park hopper

I’m not sure how accurate it is to say that all had equal access given that you to had to buy ticket books to get on the attractions.
How does purchasing a ticket book limit access to anyone. The cost of book was nominal, you also could purchase a ticket for a specific attraction and not buy a ticket book
"The first-ever Disney World park ticket, back in 1971, cost $3.50."

LittleBuford

How does purchasing a ticket book limit access to anyone. The cost of book was nominal, you also could purchase a ticket for a specific attraction and not buy a ticket book
"The first-ever Disney World park ticket, back in 1971, cost $3.50."
My point was that one had to pay to experience attractions, with the more popular attractions being more expensive. I realise the overall costs were much lower than they are now, but it was still a pay-to-play system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom