Lets Discuss.. How the Enchanted Mirror achieves it's Transformation

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
So obviously everyone has seen the mirror by now.. as it transforms from a solid picture sized object, to a full double width door that you can pass through.

So there is the transformation of the 'solid' surface of the 'mirror' and seperately the transformation of the mirror up on the wall.. to a space that meets the floor.

There is also where the projections are done from, etc.

So here is Disney's initial video..

Looking at it now.. there is some specific efforts going on here to not reveal all the magic.. It's darker.. and it keeps the bottom of the mirror out of the field of view

The most impressive part to me initially was the mirror frame going to the floor.. and the way the frame somehow overtakes what before was wall.

Realize.. you can't just expand the mirror.. because you have to make room behind what the 'new' mirror area exposes... and remember it's not floor to ceiling.. only part of the wall space.

The projected green light effects are used to help mask what the eye make pickout as things moving away from each other which helps mask the frame 'expanding'. The projection on the mirror itself works as the classic magician's distraction. Keep your eyes busy over here.. while I do something 'over there'

So I have my speculation diagrammed out.. and described.. but I'm curious what other people think. So I won't post my theory initially giving others a chance to post their own. Mine's already published, so don't worry about me 'cheating' off yours.

I'll post mine later tonight.

What do you think? Tell us how you think the mirror magically expands!

Animaniac93-98

I've seen many of Disney's recent offerings like LM, TSMM, ST:2, WoC, but this is the first time in a long time I honestly don't know how they did something. Not that other tech hasn't been impressive, but it's largely been obvious AA or screen based tech.

This? I can tell it's supplemented by projections, but I can't figure out the whole wall to door thing from the videos. I'd love to see a diagram of how it works.

Cosmic Commando

Well... I thought surely if I just watched the video very closely, I would be able to pick something out. Nope. I'm completely stumped. Kudos to Disney on this one. I'm amazed at the way the frame grows without any seams in it moving or without losing its shape. It looks so good that I thought maybe the mirror frame was a projection all along, but it's actually there... I think.

I'm very interested in your theory, @flynnibus!

FettFan

I think I know how they did it....

Think of a cross between the HM stretching portrait gallery and the new CGI hitchhiking ghosts riding along with you.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think I know how they did it....

Think of a cross between the HM stretching portrait gallery and the new CGI hitchhiking ghosts riding along with you.
I'm thinking the bottom part of the wall from the wainscoting down slides down into the ground, revealing the mirror behind it. The sides of the mirror expand outward sliding behind the upright columns of the walls.

I can't tell if it's rear projection, front projection or LED but the "mirror" is split down the center, then hinges inwards to allow passage.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
U
I'm thinking the bottom part of the wall from the wainscoting down slides down into the ground, revealing the mirror behind it. The sides of the mirror expand outward sliding behind the upright columns of the walls.

I can't tell if it's rear projection, front projection or LED but the "mirror" is split down the center, then hinges inwards to allow passage.
You are close along my lines.. But when you start working through the mechanics it gets a lot harder. Take a look at the mirror, see which parts move, which don't, and think about where the mirror is fixed to the wall or not...

I'll copy my post here shortly once I get back to my computer...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Also the projection mirror itself I can't tell where the projector is from the videos confidently...

I first thought it was panels that opened like a French door (which is the animation).. But I'm pretty sure it's two panels that slide apart. This part is a lot harder to tell in the videos and is not as constrained as the front

unkadug

Also the projection mirror itself I can't tell where the projector is from the videos confidently...

I first thought it was panels that opened like a French door (which is the animation).. But I'm pretty sure it's two panels that slide apart. This part is a lot harder to tell in the videos and is not as constrained as the front
I think you are right...the picture shows the doors opening inward as the panels slide apart.

I'm think that there is the mirror as seen. And place in front of the mirror is the wall facade that slide away. (Remember the crease). As the project continues the mirror begins to shift, moving a crease between two parts to the center. As the image on the mirror hinges the mirror slides apart (similar to tower of terror).

I think at the time you enter you will not see a seam because the seam doesn't move into place until later on.

unkadug

I'm think that there is the mirror as seen. And place in front of the mirror is the wall facade that slide away. (Remember the crease). As the project continues the mirror begins to shift, moving a crease between two parts to the center. As the image on the mirror hinges the mirror slides apart (similar to tower of terror).

I think at the time you enter you will not see a seam because the seam doesn't move into place until later on.
I didn't think about the seam not moving into place until needed. Good call on that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok, here's my blog post.. will edit for formatting here best I can...

---
Well Disney is known for it's 'magic' in its attractions, and in one of the newest opening in the fall of 2012, is Enchanted Tales with Belle. Part of this attraction is a magic mirror that transforms from a mirror to a door guests walk through.

Here is a video provided by Disney Previewing the attraction

It's a very cool effect and I was curious how it worked. So I've studied the videos a bit, and here's my theory.. Here is the starting point.. a diagram mocked up to help reference elements of the show
i-HbxZL62.jpg

http://flynnibus.smugmug.com/photos/i-HbxZL62/0/O/i-HbxZL62.jpg

A, B, and C are wall panels. The horizontal timber element (brown) is attached to the A and B panels. C is a panel that sits 'behind' A and B The mirror is actually multiple segments. The blue segments in the dragram represent the ornate portions you see when the mirror is in the start position. The bright colored pieces are L shaped and include the corners of the mirror.

The theory is, as the effect starts, the A and B panels move outward, and slide behind the stationary walls surrounding the area just like a pocket door. The edge where the door slides behind is obscured by the vertical timber elements in the room. Simultaneously, the C panel slides down eventually be flush with the floor. This design allows the mirror's edges to grow in three directions while leaving the space revealed 'open' to see the projection surface behind.

The mirror expansion could be done several ways.. but here is my speculation... The top part of the mirror is fixed stationary on the front surface of the the wall above the mirror. The mirror top edge expands horizontally by allowing the yellow and green segments to telescope out. In the start position, they are hidden 'inside' the blue portion.

The bottom part of the mirror is similar, the central blue section fixed stationary on the front surface of the C panel. The blue section moves down, allowing the cyan and gold segments to telescope out. In the start position, they are hidden 'inside' the blue portion. The blue side sections of the mirror could have been attached to the A and B panels like the others, allowing the corner pieces to telescope and 'float'. But this is not done because you can see in the videos, that the blue sections on the side actually move down as well as having telescoping action. I will speculate the mirror sides (or possibly all of them) are motorized to control the telescoping and are float over the side panels. Being attached at the top or bottom segment of the mirror. Powered telescoping may reduce binding if the speeds are off slightly in the wall panels.

The sum of these movements are illustrated in this crude gif
i-Rddwfp8.gif

http://flynnibus.smugmug.com/photos/i-Rddwfp8/0/O/i-Rddwfp8.gif

This would leave a wall intersection visible where the C panel meets A and B. I originally thought the horizontal timbers was where things would be hidden, the the entire bottom that was visible would be the C panel that moved down, but this causes problems where the mirror moves out horizontally as the timber is along the side of the mirror, not fully below it. The videos are not bright enough to see if this speculated wall intersection for C is there in the video. If you see in person, let me know!

The telescoping of the mirror segments is clearly visibily (including the edges of the outer telescoping piece) in this guest's video shot with different exposure and position.

Now what about the projections?

The green magic effects are clearly projected onto the mirror frame from the area where guests are. Not looking around the room, I don't know if this is hidden in the ceiling using a short-throw lens or what.

But what about the mirror surface itself?
I believe this to be a surface behind the 'pocket door' panels that splits in the middle and splits left and right. I thought it may be doors that swing open, similar to the animation being projected, but the way the video terminates on the edge and doesn't skew.. it seems like the projection surface simply moves out of frame, rather than out and back.. like a door. I still can not make out any seem in the projection surface from the videos shared.. so I'm not real sure. But where is the projector? Possibly in the ceiling in the second room so you don't see the bulb's light looking into the door? Can't tell...

---

unkadug

^very good. Perhaps LED screens behind the mirror? No projector needed! I'm pretty sure that the split is slid into view as the picture pans over to show the door. The split would slid in from the right.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
As the project continues the mirror begins to shift, moving a crease between two parts to the center. As the image on the mirror hinges the mirror slides apart (similar to tower of terror).

I can't see it in these videos tho.. I watched the second video frame by frame.. during the mirror sequence.. and there is no discernible vertical seam I can see. I thought maybe it moved in during the final anmiation where the view transisitions to the doors. An interesting thing about that sequence from the marble columns to the wooden doors is the ENTIRE image scrolls side to side and covers the whole image with strict vertical lines. That would be a great way to hide the main projection surface moving off to the side and seemlessly moving another panel butted against it with it.. till the gap between those two becomes the seam where the mirror splits. But I've watched frame by frame and the 'neat' thing about the second video is you have a bit of a reflection in the mirror.. so you have something constant NOT in the projection. But I could not see a seem moving across the reflection.

so this is either solid.. and changed in that final segment.. or its the freakin most invisible seam :) They look like two big thick (about .5 or more!) two way mirrors for the projection surface.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom