Trip Report "Lets Begin By Taking a Smallish Nap or Two" - A May 2024 Trip Report *COMPLETED*

We got back from our vacation May 18th and I'm still trying to mentally process this trip :rolleyes: I debated whether to even do a trip report but decided to do a quick one since it's not like I'll ever be able to forget it LOL. For those of you who don't know, this trip had been postponed many times because of my elderly dog Pippy. We weren't sure whether we would be able to take the May trip but I had to make the difficult decision to euthanize a couple weeks before we were scheduled to leave. He was my soul mate dog and I still feel his absence every day. His loss is incredibly painful and something that I still can't talk about without ugly crying. The change of scenery at Disney helped a little but it didn't last long. If any of you have followed my previous trip reports, you wouldn't be surprised to know that drama usually follows us to WDW and this trip was no exception - but not how I could've predicted. It wasn't family this time!!!!!

When: May 10-18, 2024
Why: originally longest anniversary, then changed to my bday, then our wedding anniversary, then my husband's bday, then a just because
Where: Coronado Springs Resort
Who: Me (L) and the husband (R)

Despite all my careful planning, we couldn't have predicted the unusually hot May weather (one local news station called it "historic") and what was to follow. We hated the effects of Genie+ on the parks. This trip, even my normally oblivious husband noticed the negative changes and commented on it. We still love WDW but it's not the same as it used to be and that breaks my Disney loving heart. This trip was full of firsts, full of surprises, full of tears, and definitely full of memories :) We didn't have a theme song this trip but a quote I saw on a pin when trading summed up this trip pretty dang well LOL - "Let's begin by taking a smallish nap or two" ~ Winnie the Pooh

LeighM

Original Poster
Loved your trip report. We found last September that we need more breaks from the sun now we are older. Hope you are doing ok health wise now. It was good to know about the hospital there just in case we have a medical problem next year, with us both having heart conditions. Just have to mention that you take brilliant photos. Hope you both a fantastic trip in December.

We're under a heatwave here at home and it feels like 100 degrees outside in the shade. But when I'm outside I feel exactly like I did that first Saturday at Disney. Fine - until I'm not fine LOL. One of the things I did learn from this trip is that it would be a good idea to take some light weight compression socks next time. And now I'm left wondering how I got to the age of compression socks already 😂 I blinked and I missed my youth, apparently.....

LeighM

Original Poster
The thing people on this forum tried to explain to me - that my Disney brain couldn’t comprehend until we had our Universal trip- is that City walk is less than 15 minutes from the deluxe hotels.
We stayed at Royal Pacific and we could leave our hotel room and be seated at any of the City Walk Restaurants in 15 minutes. It was mind blowing. 🤯

So while Royal Pacific does have a couple restaurants (we only ate at one and it was great) - you aren’t limited to the options at the hotel! Just hop on a boat (which are always running ) and head to City walk. (And you don’t always have to have a reservation- even for a party of 6! 😱)

Yeah I brought up all of the dining options for the resorts and CityWalk to see if the husband would be interested. So far I can't get him to agree but I'm working on it :) I told him that it's much easier to plan a last minute trip to Universal than it is to Disney. But we're Disney Bubble people when in Orlando. We have been thinking about taking a Florida road trip (like we used to do when I was younger) because I really want to go back to St. Augustine and see some of the beaches. It's been decades since I've seen pretty blue water. So long ago, in fact, that I don't even have memories of it.

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
We're under a heatwave here at home and it feels like 100 degrees outside in the shade. But when I'm outside I feel exactly like I did that first Saturday at Disney. Fine - until I'm not fine LOL. One of the things I did learn from this trip is that it would be a good idea to take some light weight compression socks next time. And now I'm left wondering how I got to the age of compression socks already 😂 I blinked and I missed my youth, apparently.....
Yes we always use compression socks on the 9-10 hour flights there and back. They definitely help but cannot wait to take them off when we arrive at our destinations.

LeighM

Original Poster
Yes we always use compression socks on the 9-10 hour flights there and back. They definitely help but cannot wait to take them off when we arrive at our destinations.

There's been some nights since I've been home that I've had to sleep with them and they definitely don't contribute to a relaxing nights sleep that's for sure! 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom