Let's be honest...is Carousel of Progress going to last the next five years?

What will happen with Carousel of Progress in the next five years?

• Nothing will happen for the foreseeable future, except for the occasional hand falling off

Votes: 195 75.6%
  • It will remain Carousel of Progress, but it will be heavily modified to reflect DEI

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • It will become "Carousel of Some IP" i.e: a look at the Incredibles home life or some other property

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • It will close and the real estate will be used for something else that is announced at that time

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • It will close and sit shuttered for at least three more years before something is decided

Votes: 31 12.0%

• Total voters

FettFan

If that were to happen, that just speaks to the poor management.

Josh-DAmaro_Headshot_Leadership.jpg

Welcome to D'amaroland.

Goofyernmost

I don't think they'll close it.
They almost did, in fact they did for a short time and it looked like it was going to be junked and then they found one that really was more controversial by the name of Alien Encounter. They closed that and reopened CoP to have a fill in while they created Stitch's Great Escape. There was a huge organized movement to keep CoP during that time and it never closed again. That was in the early 2000's or around that time.

My point is that it has been about 20 years now since that time and it could and will happen again. This time we might not be lucky enough to save it.

dovetail65

Looking at the direction of the parks, Carousel of Progress seems like it's going to be on the chopping block sooner rather than later. What do you think is the most likely outcome in the next five years?
I wish they would keep it as the oringal idea Walt wanted but do what he would of done in 1964 had they had todays tech and 100 million bucks. That thing could be a people eater. Make the theaters much larger but make it so guests want to go. Give the younger people what they want, 3D, action suspense, in 4 or 5 shows that spin around eating up the guests.

The Shamans at navi cost 10 million, so they need up the ante if they want it to be around another 50 years, not just add a few characters. WDW need revamp and update all the tech ground up and just go for it. The animatronics need to be today's versions or better, cutting edge.

If not put the space to some kind of use, the place was gross when I was there 2 days ago. I felt like the theater was about qualtiy of the the dirtier bathrooms. I had nostalgia but my 20 year old kids just wanted out.

Last edited:

dovetail65

I think after the live action CoP movie comes out the attraction may be updated. 😉
The only thing I heard is that Tom Hanks may take over as a new narrator in 2023(the original narrator we hear now died in 1999), but it's nothing firm.

The only other thing I see about a movie is the Jeff Kinney said he imagined to include Diary of a Wimpy Kid characters and story lines into a revamped Cop, but again nothing firm I can find.

Can you link me to a movie that is actually happening.

Minthorne

The only thing I heard is that Tom Hanks may take over as a new narrator in 2023(the original narrator we hear now died in 1999), but it's nothing firm.

The only other thing I see about a movie is the Jeff Kinney said he imagined to include Diary of a Wimpy Kid characters and story lines into a revamped Cop, but again nothing firm I can find.

Can you link me to a movie that is actually happening.
I'm pretty sure a bus driver told me... ;)

dovetail65

Here is that article about Tom Hanks taking over after the 50th anniversary is done (End March 2023) or later as narrator of COP.

I can't see Hanks' Hanks getting changed in without some type of other upgrades:

|

Also as a side note I never knew about Tom Hanks is a distant cousin of Walt Disney and also Related to Fred or Mr Rodgers.

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
They need all the attraction capacity they can muster with Splash closing and Tron opening, both pushing guests to the east side of the park and Tomorrowland. So CoP seems pretty safe for a while. But the bigger crowds over there may be a litmus test for CoP. If it fails to absorb crowds management may look to more drastic moves?

Kirby86

They need all the attraction capacity they can muster with Splash closing and Tron opening, both pushing guests to the east side of the park and Tomorrowland. So CoP seems pretty safe for a while. But the bigger crowds over there may be a litmus test for CoP. If it fails to absorb crowds management may look to more drastic moves?
I think it lives in the same zone as Muppet Vision. It won't ever be a main draw but once people go into the park it's one of those why not rides so they go on it. It'll keep those people off the walkways for 15 to 20 minutes.

celluloid

Attention spans, too long without update, high capacity but low ridership, physical cost of maintenance is high and no marketable tie in film.

With current leadership, the attraction will not make it the five years questioned or much longer.

There is the negative, here is a thought.

With a shift in thinking you can't just chase the next big movie synergy all of the time, we could get an update and rennovation that utilizes and entertains from what it is.

I love the Carousel of Progress, and it is long past due for its update. By principal it should have some amazing updated effects that entertain and inspire people of progress. Over 30 years since a new one went into the works. It is time. Now is the time, now is the best time.

ppete1975

I wish they would keep it as the oringal idea Walt wanted but do what he would of done in 1964 had they had todays tech and 100 million bucks. That thing could be a people eater. Make the theaters much larger but make it so guests want to go. Give the younger people what they want, 3D, action suspense, in 4 or 5 shows that spin around eating up the guests.

The Shamans at navi cost 10 million, so they need up the ante if they want it to be around another 50 years, not just add a few characters. WDW need revamp and update all the tech ground up and just go for it. The animatronics need to be today's versions or better, cutting edge.

If not put the space to some kind of use, the place was gross when I was there 2 days ago. I felt like the theater was about qualtiy of the the dirtier bathrooms. I had nostalgia but my 20 year old kids just wanted out.
If you do all of that, you might as well replace it. The charm and nostalgia is that Walt was behind it and it is classic disney. The history of the ride is more riveting than the attraction. Outside of updating the end scene and a few other tweaks, once its updated too much its not what it was. And at that point they need to just move on sadly.

celluloid

If you do all of that, you might as well replace it. The charm and nostalgia is that Walt was behind it and it is classic disney. The history of the ride is more riveting than the attraction. Outside of updating the end scene and a few other tweaks, once its updated too much its not what it was. And at that point they need to just move on sadly.

Well it might shock you to know just how much of the attraction has changed at CoP. Most of what you see now is from 1994, not 1964.

They can keep just as much while giving a huge update.

ppete1975

Well it might shock you to know just how much of the attraction has changed at CoP. Most of what you see now is from 1994, not 1964.

They can keep just as much while giving a huge update.
not if you gut it and replace the characters with super modern aas and make it a 3d attraction, like the post i was responding to. You can update it, certainly clean it, replace the seats and the audio equipment but once the overall story is changed and you go modern with everything else all thats left is the theater. And at that point just start over and make something better, the only think saving COP is nostalgia and history.

ppete1975

Here is that article about Tom Hanks taking over after the 50th anniversary is done (End March 2023) or later as narrator of COP.

I can't see Hanks' Hanks getting changed in without some type of other upgrades:

|

Also as a side note I never knew about Tom Hanks is a distant cousin of Walt Disney and also Related to Fred or Mr Rodgers.
With it just being an audio track once they fit it into his schedule, in theory couldnt the change be made over night? They wouldnt have to physically do anything. Could they do this as part of the 100? If they did decide to do this would they announce it ahead of time so people could ride it one last time with the latest narrator? OR would they do it as a surprise. Certainly, interesting if it ever happens

celluloid

not if you gut it and replace the characters with super modern aas and make it a 3d attraction, like the post i was responding to. You can update it, certainly clean it, replace the seats and the audio equipment but once the overall story is changed and you go modern with everything else all thats left is the theater. And at that point just start over and make something better, the only think saving COP is nostalgia and history.

I think most fans, even die hards of the attraction would be fine with all new Animatronic Hardware, lighting, backdrops, writing and other effects as long as it improved the experience. That is separate from making it 3D or a thrill ride, which I get would certainly change the audience it is intended for and its inspiration. I am a purist and it is sadder seeing it like it is now, not entertaining as many vs what if they did the revamp right and to the nines. I feel the same way about TIki Room. We should have the same story in spirit but how the affect on guests is done should be much better than what we have. There is a balance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom