"Let the wind carry you home" September pre-trip report

Bonus points if you can tell me what song that line is from

Note: There's an update to this a few posts down...
So, with only like 4 1/2 months to go until our next trip to the World, the mind goes to the thoughts of a pre-trip report. Of course it makes perfect sense...Only Disney people would understand the need to tell people what we'll be doing and where we'll be eating almost a half year in advance.

So, this is trip #5 for us as a family. I know you're all dying to see what we look like;) , so here you go

2012-04-0701-57-15-IMG_6003.jpg

There's my wife Tammy, a stay-at-home Mom who runs a daycare from our house. 5 years ago she had to talk me into going to Disney for our 10th anniversary (I'm glad she did)

Then there's Stephanie and Liam (don't ask me what he's doing in this picture. I just tell my wife he gets it from her side of the family). It's crazy to look at pictures from 5 years ago when they looked like this:

Disneypictures-Day1038.jpg

Time flies far too fast (and I just noticed Liam has a similar face. Someone needs to teach the boy how to smile for pictures).

Then there's me. I'm Graham, a chartered accountant who works for Tim Hortons when I'm not at Disney. I'm the big Disney fan in the house (we all are to some extent, and I'm fortunate that the rest of the family loves it almost as much as I do).

So, now you're all going "now that we know you, please tell us all about your up coming trip". OK...

Trip #5 sees us making a return to our favourite (see the "u" in there?...crazy Canadians, throwing in extra letters (although, I've never understood why we have words like colour, favourite, etc. but we don't spell major with a u (as in majour). You would think that logically that would make sense?)) resort...The Animal Kingdom Lodge. We've booked 9 days from September 13th to the 22nd (so anyone interested in breaking into our place now knows the dates we won't be around...just make sure you feed the cats before you leave) in a one bedroom villa (we're DVC members).

For ADRs, here's what we have (we let the kids each pick one restaurant they "had" to go to):

Sept 13 - Ohana (dinner)
Sept 14 - Chef Mickeys (dinner)
Sept 15 - Liberty Tree
Sept 16 - 50's Prime Time (Stephanie's pick)
Sept 17 - Teppan Edo
Sept 18 - Biergarten
Sept 19 - Sci-Fi (Liam's pick)
Sept 20 - Ohana (breakfast)
Sept 21 - Crystal Palace
Sept 22 - Kona Cafe (final breakfast before we come home):cry:

We also decided to try some newer things this year, so we're doing the waterparks, and we also booked a family portrait session at Epcot on the 15th.

So there you have it. I really don't have anything else to add right now. If anything changes I'll let you all know (How else can I do my part to keep the internet as accurate as possible if I'm leaving incorrect information in a pre-trip report).

:wave:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Quick question to anyone who has done the photoshoot thing... what time do you think would be better? There are two time slots (either 7:45am or 9:00am). We were originally thinking 9:00 from a getting ready and out the door without doing the mad rushing around, but it would be cool to be in world showcase at 7:45 when the place is empty.

lbrad

Quick question to anyone who has done the photoshoot thing... what time do you think would be better? There are two time slots (either 7:45am or 9:00am). We were originally thinking 9:00 from a getting ready and out the door without doing the mad rushing around, but it would be cool to be in world showcase at 7:45 when the place is empty.

I would go with 9:00 ... it will still be empty at this hour unless it's EMH.

Have a Magical trip ... can't wait to read all about it :wave:

gwhb75

Original Poster
I would go with 9:00 ... it will still be empty at this hour unless it's EMH.

Have a Magical trip ... can't wait to read all about it :wave:

Yeah, we weren't sure. We decided to go with the 7:45 time. So...next question...what's the best way to get to the World Showcase entrance for 7:45. I know we need to go through the Beach Club, so what's the best way to get there from the Animal Kingdom? We're thinking a taxi might be the best...

gwhb75

Original Poster
August 4th update
Wow, time really flies. It seems like just a few weeks ago I was posting the 4.5 months-to-go pre trip report, and now we're at 38 days to go. Since the first round of the PTR we've made a few dining changes (I don't know why we enjoy it so much, but planning and changing ADR's keeps us in that "Disney Mood" between trips). Anyways, here's what we have now:

Sept 13: 'Ohana (can't change this one. A tradition to eat here on our first day)
Sept 14: Boma (we're staying at AKL and wanted to try something from there; plus I heard about Zebra Domes)
Sept 15: Liberty Tree (We loved it the first time we ate there when they had characters. I know there aren't characters now, but the food was still good)
Sept 16: 50's Prime Time (Steph's pick)
Sept 17: Biergarten (wanted to try something new at EPCOT)
Sept 18: Tusker House (we booked for 10:35, so technically bruch. We're hoping they start putting out some of the lunch offerings while we're there) - we also booked it earlier in the day in case we decide to do the MNSSHP again this year.
Sept 19: Whispering Canyon (We've eaten here before, but took a year off last year - We're still thinking about changing this to Trails End - any thoughts?)
Sept 20: Sci-Fi (Liam's pick - Food is so-so, but Liam loves eating in the cars)
Sept 21: Crystal Palace (Our last dinner at Disney (booooo). We'll get to take in some of the MNSSHP ambience on our way out of the park after dinner)
Sept 22: Our flight is at 2:30pm, so we booked Kona for breakfast

We also changed where we are staying (sort of). We're still at AKL, but we've moved from Jambo to Kidani Village (we're staying in a 1 bedroom villa this year, partially because we wanted two bathrooms. I didn't know when I booked that Jambo 1 bedroom villas only have one, so we switched). We're excited about the change because we haven't stayed at Kidani before (we stayed at Jambo a few years ago).

So, I think that's all the updates for now. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for a trip report...

real mad hatter

August 4th update
Wow, time really flies. It seems like just a few weeks ago I was posting the 4.5 months-to-go pre trip report, and now we're at 38 days to go. Since the first round of the PTR we've made a few dining changes (I don't know why we enjoy it so much, but planning and changing ADR's keeps us in that "Disney Mood" between trips). Anyways, here's what we have now:

Sept 13: 'Ohana (can't change this one. A tradition to eat here on our first day)
Sept 14: Boma (we're staying at AKL and wanted to try something from there; plus I heard about Zebra Domes)
Sept 15: Liberty Tree (We loved it the first time we ate there when they had characters. I know there aren't characters now, but the food was still good)
Sept 16: 50's Prime Time (Steph's pick)
Sept 17: Biergarten (wanted to try something new at EPCOT)
Sept 18: Tusker House (we booked for 10:35, so technically bruch. We're hoping they start putting out some of the lunch offerings while we're there) - we also booked it earlier in the day in case we decide to do the MNSSHP again this year.
Sept 19: Whispering Canyon (We've eaten here before, but took a year off last year - We're still thinking about changing this to Trails End - any thoughts?)
Sept 20: Sci-Fi (Liam's pick - Food is so-so, but Liam loves eating in the cars)
Sept 21: Crystal Palace (Our last dinner at Disney (booooo). We'll get to take in some of the MNSSHP ambience on our way out of the park after dinner)
Sept 22: Our flight is at 2:30pm, so we booked Kona for breakfast

We also changed where we are staying (sort of). We're still at AKL, but we've moved from Jambo to Kidani Village (we're staying in a 1 bedroom villa this year, partially because we wanted two bathrooms. I didn't know when I booked that Jambo 1 bedroom villas only have one, so we switched). We're excited about the change because we haven't stayed at Kidani before (we stayed at Jambo a few years ago.

So, I think that's all the updates for now. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for a trip report...
So that's where things stand as of today
Great choices but wait!your staying at AKL and no JIKO or Sanaa? Think about it seriously,these are two of the best restaurants on WDW property and their right on your doorstep.

flipadeeflop

cant wait to read the trip report! I definitely want to hear how the portrait session goes, that sounds like such a good souvenir! I want to do caricatures of my boyfriend and I next trip we do (not the one this year, but next year's). I'm envious that you are staying at AKL! It's my dreeeaaam! Have fun! It's so close! I definitely agree with real mad hatter, Jiko is a MUST and I've heard great things about Sanaa!

gwhb75

Original Poster
Great choices but wait!your staying at AKL and no JIKO or Sanaa? Think about it seriously,these are two of the best restaurants on WDW property and their right on your doorstep.

Tough call. We added Boma to try something at the AKL, and figured a buffet would work in case the kids don't like the more exotic things. That's my concern with Jiko or Sanaa since they have menus. However, I'm open to trying at least one of them so I'll see if I can convince the rest of the family to give it a shot.

How did you enjoy your trip? I've been reading your trip report (gotta keep up with fellow Scots (well, I'm actually Canadian, but I'm the only one in my family born in Canada, everyone else was born in Scotland)).

gwhb75

Original Poster
cant wait to read the trip report! I definitely want to hear how the portrait session goes, that sounds like such a good souvenir! I want to do caricatures of my boyfriend and I next trip we do (not the one this year, but next year's). I'm envious that you are staying at AKL! It's my dreeeaaam! Have fun! It's so close! I definitely agree with real mad hatter, Jiko is a MUST and I've heard great things about Sanaa!

Thanks. I'll be sure to include some details on the photoshoot in the trip report. Yeah, we all love AKL. We were lucky the first time we stayed there in that we got 4 days at the concierge level which was just crazy good. In looking at your signature, I see we were at WDW at the same time last year. How did you enjoy the trip?

flipadeeflop

Thanks. I'll be sure to include some details on the photoshoot in the trip report. Yeah, we all love AKL. We were lucky the first time we stayed there in that we got 4 days at the concierge level which was just crazy good. In looking at your signature, I see we were at WDW at the same time last year. How did you enjoy the trip?
I loved it! I would do that time of year always, if other factors weren't deciding our trip! I was really nervous about how much rain I was expecting, but we only got one day of rain. Was it the same for you or did you go slightly different days? Do you have a trip report posted for your trip last year?

ppodangel

Good point about majour! Lol It's nice to know Canadians use "u" as much as us Brits! Your trip sounds great! We swithered between Boma and Sanaa but like you thought it safer to go with the buffet at Boma so the kids would eat! :)

gwhb75

Original Poster
I loved it! I would do that time of year always, if other factors weren't deciding our trip! I was really nervous about how much rain I was expecting, but we only got one day of rain. Was it the same for you or did you go slightly different days? Do you have a trip report posted for your trip last year?

We love going in September (other than the whole kids out of school thing, but we clear things with the teachers prior to going and make sure the kids have some work to do so the aren't behind when they get back). We really only had one day where it rained, and that was only for about an hour. Here's the link to our last trip report:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...e-a-surprise-for-you-sept-trip-report.805813/

gwhb75

Original Poster
Good point about majour! Lol It's nice to know Canadians use "u" as much as us Brits! Your trip sounds great! We swithered between Boma and Sanaa but like you thought it safer to go with the buffet at Boma so the kids would eat! :)

Yeah, we talked about it today and looked at the menu at Sanaa again, and decided to pass this year. My wife and I would love it, but I'm afraid the kids would turn their noses up at everything (I know that the chefs could do something more "bland" for them, but I think the kids would go in with a negative attitude so everything would taste weird to them, even if it was plain).

gwhb75

Original Poster
So our Magical Express package arrived about two weeks ago, so the excitement has now been amped up quite a bit. We're now 10 days away...can't wait.

We did decide to do the MNSSHP again. We loved it the last two times we went, and find it hard imagining being down there while the party's on and not going at least once. We think we'll spend more time just soaking in the atmosphere and enjoying more of the entertainment/dance parties/meet and greets/candy than the attractions this year.

One other thing I thought of maybe doing for the trip report is have a "CM of the day" thing, where we take a picture of a CM that really help spread the magic that day. Don't know how it will work out, but it will at least make us more aware of the great CMs and what they do day in and day out.

Also, since there is free wi-fi in the parks now, I'll probably be tweeting pictures and updates now and then, so if anybody wants to follow me, I'm @gwhb75 on twitter.

gwhb75

Original Poster
So today, Liam starts asking questions about Sci-Fi and if there is somewhere we think he may enjoy more. We told him it is 100% his choice and then showed him a few other places he may like. After giving it some thought, he decided that he'd rather go to Kona for the Steak and Kona Kone (wow, how does a 9 year old change from Sci-Fi to Kona? Proud moment right there ;)). Now that Liam has changed, Steph is thinking about changing 50's Prime Time to one of the Maya Grill, Rose & Crown or the San Angel Inn (I showed her the menus from them, and I'm pretty sure San Angel is off the table now (she likes Mexican/American (burritos, tacos, etc)). She hasn't 100% commited to any changes, so we'll see what happens.

real mad hatter

Tough call. We added Boma to try something at the AKL, and figured a buffet would work in case the kids don't like the more exotic things. That's my concern with Jiko or Sanaa since they have menus. However, I'm open to trying at least one of them so I'll see if I can convince the rest of the family to give it a shot.

How did you enjoy your trip? I've been reading your trip report (gotta keep up with fellow Scots (well, I'm actually Canadian, but I'm the only one in my family born in Canada, everyone else was born in Scotland)).
Sorry for the late reply.Vacation was awesome.I emigrated to Montreal in 1975 and came back to Scotland in 1976.(homesick)my Scots buddy is still there.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply.Vacation was awesome.I emigrated to Montreal in 1975 and came back to Scotland in 1976.(homesick)my Scots buddy is still there.
My parents emigrated from Scotland to Burlington, Ontario in '72 with my two brothers. They were only supposed to be in Canada for two years (my Dad was sent out with BP for a refinery project), but decided to stay since my two brothers had settled into school. I was born a few years later ('75).

Billy6

Have a great trip, me and my wife(getting married on the 14th) will be down at WDW on the 21st and crusing on the Fantasy on the 22nd for our Disneymoon. Maybe we will run into you on the 21st. Will you be at MK that whole day? You said you have an ADR at Crystal Palace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom