Left Or Right?

ohioguy

I think Birnbaum's made note that most people go right upon entering the Magic Kingdom; it's simply the way most people are programmed mentally. For me, circling the park clockwise makes the most sense, moving from the primitive world of Adventureland to the futuristic world of Tomorrowland is a natural progression. One can't really do that anymore with virtual queues and lightning lanes, but it's how I experienced the parks pre-Covid.

Goofyernmost

Never really thought about it, but looking back think I always entered through the right side and exited on the other side leaving. Probably came from my years of driving and being on the right side even when walking. It always aggravated me when groups of people would not stay in their lane, so to speak, and I had to work my way through oncoming human traffic. It would make entering and leaving a much simpler way to always walk on the right side. I guess it would be just the opposite for someone from a place like GB where they travel on the left side.

spock8113

The major "department" stores in malls did a study on this years back and found most people went to the right.
It may have to do with driving habits or something else like right vs. left handed.
You'll find in surviving department stores and supermarkets that the marketing is more designed to a right turn just like the colors red and yellow attract the most customer attention.
I go straight.....down Main Street and coincidentally to the left Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room and Pirates working through the lands chronologically, like Sheldon does. You can't go backwards in time. It makes no sense.....or does it?

Goofyernmost

The major "department" stores in malls did a study on this years back and found most people went to the right.
It may have to do with driving habits or something else like right vs. left handed.
You'll find in surviving department stores and supermarkets that the marketing is more designed to a right turn just like the colors red and yellow attract the most customer attention.
I go straight.....down Main Street and coincidentally to the left Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room and Pirates working through the lands chronologically, like Sheldon does. You can't go backwards in time. It makes no sense.....or does it?
I confess that in the early years (80's & 90's) the main rush at rope drop was to the right and Space Mountain therein. I always went to the left and could do many attractions with no long lines. It would get more crowded when we met the SMer's as they continued around from the right. That was usually in that very narrow place around Small World and then the right side was more manageable. I was our way of inventing our own Fastpass.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I've always heard that when Walt designed Main Street, he designed it so that guests would walk up towards the castle on the right side. That is why the candy shop, bakery, ice cream shop is on that side.

When guests leave they would walk on the left side towards the exit. That is why he put the souvenir store where it is.
I’m sure if WDW were in the UK, where everyone drives in the opposite side, it would’ve been reversed…

The Empress Lilly

I’m sure if WDW were in the UK, where everyone drives in the opposite side, it would’ve been reversed…
Japan drives on the left, as does Hong Kong. 40% of castle parks are in left-driving countries!

Tokyo's MS shops are very dissimilar to US ones. Endles candy. But yes, sure enough the first shop on your left on entering Tokyo MS is the biggest candy shop in the park. Meanwhile the Empirium equivalent is the last shop on the right.

HK follows DL's MS layout.

DW Aficionado

Japan drives on the left, as does Hong Kong. 40% of castle parks are in left-driving countries!

Tokyo's MS shops are very dissimilar to US ones. Endles candy. But yes, sure enough the first shop on your left on entering Tokyo MS is the biggest candy shop in the park. Meanwhile the Empirium equivalent is the last shop on the right.

HK follows DL's MS layout.
Probably more tradition nowadays when they make a new MK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom