LeFou's Brew....the verdict?

Bolna

When do you drink apple juice that has sugar added?

There really is no need to add sugar to pure apple juice, it contains about as much sugar as coke (according to their own websites, coke in the US has 65g of sugar in a 20 oz bottle, Minute Maid apple juice has 32g of sugar in a 10 oz bottle, so 64 g of sugar in 20oz). So making this sound as the healthy option because it does not have any added sugar is pretty much nonsense.

DisneyJunkie

Here we have a classic case of the overwhelming vs underwhelming aspects of Gaston's Tavern. Clearly, it was a good idea for another quick-eatery in MK and fit well with the Beauty & The Beast-guided majority influence over New Fantasyland. The place looks beautiful and is well-themed. But then there's the highly under-whelming food offerings that are in place at Gaston's Tavern (sliced apples with caramel dip? veggies with dip? cinnamon buns?). There aren't any rave reviews I've seen of the only original drink concoction offered there, LeFou's Brew, and in looking over the entire menu as a whole.....it smacks of being lazy, uninspired, and highly disappointing. I see that my view on that tends to agree with that expressed in WDWMagic's review of it, too. Why would so much thought and creativity have gone into the concept and building of Gaston's Tavern.....and then none at all into what would actually be served there?

maxairmike

I paid something like $12 for my frozen butterbeer with the mug last month; so it looks like this is actually cheaper!

I don't remember what I paid for my Butterbeer plus mug back in 2010, but I do know that LB in a "standard" (and even the regular cups at Universal have a Wizarding World logo on them, the LB cups are just plain Dixie cups) plastic cup is about $1 more expensive, especially after my AP discount I get on Butterbeer. I'm debating if its worth getting another Brew for the Gaston mug...probably not.

ishmael0316

I don't remember what I paid for my Butterbeer plus mug back in 2010, but I do know that LB in a "standard" (and even the regular cups at Universal have a Wizarding World logo on them, the LB cups are just plain Dixie cups) plastic cup is about $1 more expensive, especially after my AP discount I get on Butterbeer. I'm debating if its worth getting another Brew for the Gaston mug...probably not.
Regular Butterbeer (fizzy or frozen, not a souvenir cup) is $3.75. Thats even before our AP discounts. :)

Ktcupcake11

I was there Sunday and really enjoyed it. I thought it was very refreshing, not too sweet like Butterbeer. I do like butterbeer but it is not as refreshing on a hot day. I did not have any problems as I got to the bottom o the cup... Except I wanted more :) I think this is a great option for the Magic Kingdom. Hope they add more items to Gastons menu!

freediverdude

Its a pumpkin spice flavored drink in the Wizarding World. Mine wasn't frozen, I don't remember if you had the option to have it frozen or not like with the butterbeer. You can buy it either in a cup in the counter service restaurant or in a bottle in the gift shops. It doesn't taste like pumpkin really but more like the spices in a pumpkin pie.

Yes the pumpkin juice is very good, I think better than the butterbeer. And you can buy bottles to take home. Although it's sweet enough that one drink is enough, two is a little too much, whereas you can have two butterbeers just fine.

luv

First, I swear that when I brought it up to my lips, it smelled like alcohol. I wondered if I was having some kind of olafactory hallucination, but the staff said lots of people say that.

I'm not a fan of mango, so didn't really love the foam part, but it had a tangy kick to it that I kind of liked.

The slushy apple stuff was okay.

I didn't finish it, so I didn't taste whatever that stuff in the bottom was.

I won't get it again.

I am not the giant fan of Butterbeer that everyone else seems to be, but I did like it better than this stuff.

darksora

I liked it. My first few sips I got a strong taste of the marshmallow but only at first. After that, it was a apple taste with a tangy/sweet of the foam. At first, I was like...this is weird, but good. Then I just kinda settled in and decided I like it. It's a lot though. Even though it's in a normal "Dixie" plastic type cup (I didn't spent the extra $5 for the plastic "souvenir" cup though I saw EVERYONE carrying them around MK today), it's actually quite dense and rich. Love and I split one and it was plenty.

For those curious, I asked a CM at the Tavern about my concerns on the artificial sweetener possibility. On the Disney Parks blog, it was specifically listed as "no sugar added" which usually means artificially sweetened. (Though I will note on the menu board it said NOTHING about "no sugar added" at all. Other quick service locations that have "no sugar added" desserts so specifically label them that way so maybe they've changed the designation of this drink...?) The CM was nice enough to bring me all the packaging for all three components - apple juice mix, marshmallow syrup and passion fruit/mango foam (which comes in a whipped cream type can!) - so I could scan the ingredients. I did NOT see any artificial sweeteners listed. Some preservatives and the marshmallow and the foam both had cane sugar but no artificial sweeteners! (No HFCS either that I saw!) The CM told me they don't have their official "ingredients" book made up yet which is why he brought out the actual components but he said they'd have that soon. He was VERY helpful and gracious about it so for anyone concerned about the new menu items, just ask!

You're welcome! :)

HM Spectre

I actually liked LeFou's Brew quite a bit but it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

I tried to drink it like a normal drink and nothing came out haha, definitely more frozen than I thought it would be. Best to stir it a bit and enjoy it with a straw until it thaws out. The frozen apple juice is about what you'd expect... the passion fruit-mango foam head was definitely different and took a few tastes to get used to but was a nice tangy fruit flavor... in the end, I think it all plays really well together once your taste buds adjust to it all at once (including the marshmallow so long as it's mixed in). I'd definitely get it again though I'm curious how it was sweetened as well.

Not quite sure that it can be directly compared to butterbeer though aside from the fact that they're both drinks... it's apples and oranges. Fruit vs. butterscotch, two very different flavors.

JungleTrekFan

For those curious, I asked a CM at the Tavern about my concerns on the artificial sweetener possibility. On the Disney Parks blog, it was specifically listed as "no sugar added" which usually means artificially sweetened. (Though I will note on the menu board it said NOTHING about "no sugar added" at all. Other quick service locations that have "no sugar added" desserts so specifically label them that way so maybe they've changed the designation of this drink...?) The CM was nice enough to bring me all the packaging for all three components - apple juice mix, marshmallow syrup and passion fruit/mango foam (which comes in a whipped cream type can!) - so I could scan the ingredients. I did NOT see any artificial sweeteners listed. Some preservatives and the marshmallow and the foam both had cane sugar but no artificial sweeteners! (No HFCS either that I saw!) The CM told me they don't have their official "ingredients" book made up yet which is why he brought out the actual components but he said they'd have that soon. He was VERY helpful and gracious about it so for anyone concerned about the new menu items, just ask!

Im not sure exactly about the Brew, but i know for everything else disney sells “No sugar added” it is a quite literal meaning. Their is no sweetening sugar or artificial sweetening either. At Cosmic Rays and i think Pecos they sell No Sugar Added mango gelato, which isn’t sweetened because its made with real mangos and thus naturally sweet. i would assume this is similar where they use real fruits and thus is naturally sweetened and no need for any types of added sugars or sweeteners.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Trust me, I was on the lookout for aspartame and sucralose! Splenda makes me physically ill so I read ingredients on EVERYTHING these days. (Because they put it in things that aren't specifically "Light" or "Diet" like bread, chips and cereals.)

It's why I can't drink any of the "lemonade" in the parks either. Every single place that sells it uses the "Minute Maid Light" which is artificially sweetened.

Both my DD and I are so allergic to the artificial sweeteners. Thank you so much for posting this!

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Too bad you didn't read further in the thread...
I did continue to read ....
Still think frozen apple JUICE is better for you than butterscotch flavoured soda.
I, however, will only be in a position to try LB next month, so it's going to win - hands down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom