LED Christmas lights

Bocabear

The manufacturers can produce a warmer white with a colored cap or lens...just like incandescent Christmas bulbs always had and it would look great...but not enough people are asking for them...or that is the excuse I get from the manufacturers. I am a commercial Holiday decorations designer, and the colors of LED lights have been a particular thorn in my side since they first appeared. The amount of lights Disney orders is probably enough to have proprietary sets made to mimic the look of the old fashioned lights pre-LED... At the least, the lights on Main Street decor should all be done to match the old look...I detest that over-saturated color... especially for an area that is all about nostalgia.
And don't get me started on those Wreath Holders on the Main Street facades.... I would love to design something for them that would look more dazzling and period appropriate....but I think they are really ham-stringed by budget...

erasure fan1

The manufacturers can produce a warmer white with a colored cap or lens...just like incandescent Christmas bulbs always had and it would look great...but not enough people are asking for them...or that is the excuse I get from the manufacturers.
I say to my wife every year, they just need to make the LED xmas lights the same way they make the incandescent. So it seems I was right but they just don't want to. It's hard to say there isn't a demand when they've never been available.

Bocabear

That is sort of my point....The directives come from the companies thaty are bringing the products in from China...frequently they are people that just think everyone wants LED color lights... The newness however has worn off... I think people are now ready to embrace the LED Christmas lights made exactly like the old incandescent lights... I just have to continue my one-man mission to convince everyone. lol
I will probably go to Christmas World this January to see what is new...That is the best place to get an idea where the market is heading....

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I say to my wife every year, they just need to make the LED xmas lights the same way they make the incandescent. So it seems I was right but they just don't want to. It's hard to say there isn't a demand when they've never been available.
That is sort of my point....The directives come from the companies thaty are bringing the products in from China...frequently they are people that just think everyone wants LED color lights... The newness however has worn off... I think people are now ready to embrace the LED Christmas lights made exactly like the old incandescent lights... I just have to continue my one-man mission to convince everyone. lol
I will probably go to Christmas World this January to see what is new...That is the best place to get an idea where the market is heading....
As revealed upthread, it seems Noma is selling such lights in the UK, which has to bode well.

Bocabear

As revealed upthread, it seems Noma is selling such lights in the UK, which has to bode well.
I am hopeful! If I see them in Germany at Christmas World I am going to talk to them...There is usually an entire building for China and Asian manufacturers...So I may be able to find their source...

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I like the incandescent too but there’s a big tree out front and I have no choice to use LED otherwise I’d be blowing fuses and breakers all season long. I do on the other hand have LED smart lights I can program and make the colors look incandescent which I think Disney should utilize. Too expensive to fill that whole tree with tho.
IMG_3856.jpeg

Skibum1970

Since this is what you do professionally, can you explain why Disney has embraced only white lights? They don't seem to use multi-color very much but maybe that is just my impression.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I like the incandescent too but there’s a big tree out front and I have no choice to use LED otherwise I’d be blowing fuses and breakers all season long. I do on the other hand have LED smart lights I can program and make the colors look incandescent which I think Disney should utilize. Too expensive to fill that whole tree with tho.
View attachment 759422
What are the lights you have on the house itself? Those look gorgeous!

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Since this is what you do professionally, can you explain why Disney has embraced only white lights? They don't seem to use multi-color very much but maybe that is just my impression.
Most of the lights I saw during my recent trip were multicoloured, including all along Main Street.

JoeCamel

View attachment 759422
Do you own a cherry picker?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

What are the lights you have on the house itself? Those look gorgeous!
Classic C9 those are my babies I’ll never give them up. I recommend these lights I used on my arches they are all programmed on an app, they don’t look so warm in picture but in person they do, I’m surprised Disney hasn’t taken to this tech yet. That solid white mode you see is actually really warm colored. There also very inexpensive on Amazon.
IMG_2987.jpeg
IMG_2994.jpeg
IMG_2996.jpeg
IMG_3005.jpeg
IMG_3909.jpeg
IMG_3942.jpeg
IMG_3674.jpeg

Last edited:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
A few years ago I thought my incandescent icicles looked dim and “old” compared to led lights, now I‘ve switched to leds and one of my neighbor still has incandescent lights and I find myself loving how ”classic” their lights look.

There’s definitely pros to LEDs but I do miss the warmth of the older lights.
I had to replace some of my outdoor lights this year and the stark contrast between my older bulbs and newer ones is quite jarring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom