lebeau's Pre-Trip Report

Hello all,

I'm knee-deep in planning for our family's upcoming March trip. I'm writing this pre-trip report partially to pass the time without going crazy from waiting and parially because the experience of planning this particular trip has been an interesting one.

First, let me introduce the players.

Obviously, there's me. I'm the Disney fan in the family. More specifically, I'm the Disney parks nut. I had been to MK as a kid and Epcot as a teen. But I didn't get crazy about Disney until I went as an adult. My wife was a big fan of Mickey Mouse. But she'd never been to WDW. So when I planned our honeymoon, I figured we had to go to WDW. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it. A few years later, I am here on the forums and my wife tolerates my Disney "obessession".

Then there's my wife. I've pretty much told her story as relates to WDW. Honestly, she would prefer a more relaxing vacation than Disney World. Her idea of a vacation would be somewhere she can watch TV and swim. Yes, she can do both of those things at WDW. But I'm constantly dragging her out to the theme parks.

Our oldest daughter is 4. She'll be almost 5 at the time of the trip. This will be her thrid trip to WDW (a fact which surprises me). She has some memories of the first two trips, but I think it's mostly from hearing stories about them more so than actually remembering.

And our youngest daughter is still an infant. She'll be nearly a year old at the time of the trip and is toddling around pretty well. She's not yet walking, but she's really close. This is her first official trip, although my wife was pregnant with her on the last trip. (And yes, my wife was pretty miserable that trip).

In a supporting role, we have my younger brother. He was a cheerleader in college and taught cheerleading for many years after that. Now, he has moved into a more professional career. But he still judges cheerleading competitions from time to time. One of the reasons he does this is that he gets free trips to WDW.

We have been with my brother on one of his free trips in the past. A few years ago, he had a room to himself and a couple of tickets. So we flew down and crashed in his room and used his extra tickets. It was a bit of a stressful trip. Since we weren't making reservations ourselves, it was practically impossible to plan in advance. We didn't even know for sure if we were going until the week before the trip.

Although we couldn't beat the price, I decided not to do this kind of trip again. It was too hard to plan. And the room was somewhat cramped with three adults and a child. Our daughter didn't sleep through the night at the time and I felt bad about waking my brother up during his busy judging schedule.

This year, my brother had an interesting proposition. He wasn't sure, but he thought he might be able to swing a free room and tickets for us. Naturally, I was interested. Also, this would be the last year we could go on one of these March trips without having to pull my oldest daughter out of school. So, I figured we'd give it one last hurrah if he could work out the details.

Unfortunately, we couldn't get much of a commitment out of the company holding the tournament. When my brother asked for details about what would be available, they were non-responsive. Eventually, we decided to start looking at other vacation options since our free Disney vacation seemed unlikely.

With two young children, vacation options were limited. Our oldest daughter doesn't travel very well, so long drives were out. And with two kids in daycare, we couldn't afford to spend a lot of money on a vacation. But we definitely wanted to go somewhere. My wife remembered that a relative of hers had a time share in FL. She inquired about renting it.

As it turned out, that time share was 4 miles from Walt Disney World. While it wouldn't be free, it would be affordable. And it was far more swank than a room at WDW. My wife was thrilled at the prospect of staying at such a luxurious vacation destination even if it most likely meant visiting some of the local theme parks.

Our good luck continued. The cheerleading competition finally got back to my brother about what they could offer him. The free room was out, but they could provide some free Park Hopper tickets. The discounted time share combined with the free park tickets added up to a pretty affordable vacation.

The big expenses would be air fare for three and food. Staying offsite meant that we could prepare much of our own food, but we would need to rent a car and pay for parking. Still, it all seemed doable. I was a little nervous about the lodging being out of my hands. But my wife trusted that it would all be taken care of.

Once we got word that the time share was available during the week of the competition, I started pricing plane tickets. (I should note that the free tickets are special tickets for the competition. They are only valid that week.)

Due to spring break, air fare in March was unusually expensive. However, I did find two days that were pretty reasonable. If we left on a Wed and returned on a Wed, we could save a few hundred bucks off any other dates during the time frame our tickets were available. I don't remember exactly how much, but I believe it was around $600.00.

After quickly confirming that the time share would be available Wed-Wed, I went ahead and bought the tickets which were around $200 a piece. While this was hardly a bargain, it was the best price I think I've ever gotten for plane tickets to Orlando so I wanted to lock it in place before the prices went up.

(Looking at ticket prices today, I needn't have bothered. Prices are about the same and have gone down for some of the surrounding dates. Although the dates I've picked are still the cheapest and are still the same price.)

You can probably see where all of this is going. After locking in the plane tickets, we got word from my wife's relative that the time share was not available for those dates. Quickly, I called the airline. The price of changing the travel dates was ridiculous. It ate up all of the savings on the time share.

Thankfully, Disney is discounting like crazy on rooms these days. So I immediately went to Mousesavers.com for discount codes. Turns out, they had the same deals on the WDW website. Of offers available, I selected 35% off a moderate resort. The price was right along the lines of our discounted time share. It was actually cheaper when you factor in the rental car and parking.

The only moderate resort available at the discount was POR. That suited me just fine as I have always wanted to stay there. Still, I decided to play around and see what else I could get. I had a scary moment when the website no longer showed POR as available either. For a few minutes there, it looked like I'd have to shell out for a deluxe or stay at a value resort. My wife would freak out either way.

Fortunately, I was able to get the offer again on POR. Not sure if that was user error or if POR temporarily became unavailable. But either way it scared me into wanting to commit right away.

My wife confirmed that the time share just wasn't going to work out. I ran the numbers with her. Our primary concern about staying on property was the cost of the food. We had planned to trim our budget by preparing our own food. That would not be an option at POR.

I decided to price the dining plan. Of course, this meant buying park tickets as well. Even though we had free tickets provided, they were only 3-day tickets. They could be upgraded, but since they were not regular tickets they did not have the built-in savings per day. Each additional day would cost $50. So we decided not to upgrade the free tickets.

When we had planned to stay off site and rent a car, we had also planned an excursion to Sea World (which my wife loves). Since Sea World was no longer an option without the rental car, we decided to use the money we would have used for SW tickets to buy 1-day Disney tickets so that we could qualify for the DDP.

We don't actually figure to save any money with the DDP. But there is a certain peace of mind knowing what we will spend on food. The discounted room, the extra tickets and the DDP all fit within what we had allocated for the trip - just barely.

Our new plan presented a few challenges. For one thing, it was a bit of a scramble securing ressies 6 weeks out. As you can imagine, most of the popular places (Chef Mickey, O'hana, etc) were unavailable. However, I had set up a few ressies when we had originally planned the trip. We even had breakfast scheduled at Cinderella's castle.

(I'm glad I can now pay for that with table service credits instead of out-of pocket!)

After a few sessions of ressie hunting, I was satisfied that our table service credits wouldn't go to waste. We definitely aren't maximizing our bang for our buck though. With an impatient and somewhat picky 4-year-old, we opted for lots of buffets and character meals rather than sit-down meals where we'd have to order off menus and wait for our food to come.

We now had 4 days worth of tickets and a total of 6 full days of vacation not counting travel days. However, we may yet be able to stretch those 4 days into 6 days worth of tickets. Frequently on these trips, my brother is able to scrounge up partially used tickets for additional days.

Even if he is unable to do so, I came up with a reasonably affordable way to turn our 4 days into 6. The three 3-day PH passes we are getting from the competition are all usable by adults. So, if it looks unlikely that additional tickets will be available, I will upgrade my daughter's ticket to a 6-day PH and my wife and I will split the 9 days of park admission between ourselves.

I'm still working out what our exact itinerary will be. But the plan is to keep things very loose. With a pre-schooler and an infant, we aren't going to be going commando this time (although my wife has her doubts about my ability to do so). With 6 days to tour the parks, we should be able to take our time and still see everything we are interested in seeing.

I'm also interested in taking our first trip to the Boardwalk. We've never been on any of our previous visits. My wife just loves DTD, so I think the Boardwalk will apeal to her a lot - maybe even moreso. The plan is to visit the Boardwalk on our arrival day rather than touring any of the parks.

So, that's where we stand now. I'm still hammering out some minor details. And I'm actively preparing our oldest daughter for seeing the characters and riding rides. We've got to find a home for the family dog while we're away (I'm hoping not to have to shell out for a kennel.) But most of the big puzzle pieces are in place.

After the time share, I'm still a little worried about our the park tickets. My brother assures me we'll have three 3-day park hoppers at a minimum. But I won't feel 100% confident until I have the tickets in my hand. If we get there and the tickets don't materialize, I will have scheduled a vacation during spring break for no good reason.

But I'm confident that I'm worrying for nothing in that respect. My brother has been on this trip many times and he's never had a problem scoring tickets. Still, you can't help but be a little nervous, you know?

More developments as they come up until we leave in March. I'm sure when we get back I'll post a detailed trip report as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading!

lebeau

Original Poster
In 2007 we were on the DDP which at the time included gratuities and appetizers. In 2009 we also went on the DDP. This year it's going to be the DxDP. DW just loves the signature restauraunts. In '07 we ate at Narcoosees, Jiko, and the Spirit of Aloha. In '09 we went back to Narcoosee's, and Artist's Point. This year it's the Narcoosees hat trick, Artists Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse, and the Flying Fish Cafe.

I have a non logical perspective on the value of the DDP. In 2008 when we stayed at the Vistana (yuck). the only meal we ate onsite was the Fantasmic package at Hollywood and Vine. The buffet was about $75. I couldn't help but take the price into account when I finished the meal. Not having to concern myself with the cost of something keeps the magic alive, at least in me.

Perhaps this comes from pre-disney vacations. Before the kids came along, DW and I would spend our Easter Holidays in the Islands. We always stayed at All Inclusive resorts. Once at Sandals for our Honeymoon in 1997, once in the Bahamas, and three times in Varadero, Cuba. I suppose I am conditioned towards not paying for the food at the table?

One last observation. I'd skip Boatwrights. It was the only meal I ate on property that I did nat care for was the prime rib I had last April. It was very plain. DW found her meal plain as well. The corn bread was good, we had never had it before.

HB

I'm typically a dollars-and-cents guy. I've always looked at the DDP as a bit of a rip-off. But this time I made an emotional decision and didn't look before I lept. It's very uncharacteristic of me.

I almost opted for the counter-service dining plan over table service. It's hard to have sit down meals with two little kids. My 4-year-old gets bored after a while. So, my original plan was to book character meals. I knew we probably wouldn't save any money on the plan this way, but I figured my daughter would be entertained and we wouldn't have to wait on our food.

However, at a recent visit to a local amusement spot, my daughter was pretty terrified of the mascot. In fairness, she's always been scared of him. She may feel differently about Mickey and Pluto. We'll have to see. Regardless, I've kept most of the character meals to "face" characters like the princesses. I figure she may be shy around them, but she won't feel the need to hide.

(I'm also planning to buy her an autograph book which we have never done before. I've talked it up and she's looking forward to getting characters' autographs. However, she has it in her head that she has to write her own name on every page. I think that may be the part she's looking forward to the most.)

Back to dining, I had some problems getting a lot of the popular reservations since I didn't start trying until 6 weeks before we left. (The original plan was to eat most of our meals off property.) MK resort restaraunts were booked solid except at really off times. The Fantasmic dinner package is also sold out. Most of the DTD restaraunts were booked solid too. However, through perseverence I was able to book enough reservations that our table service credits won't go to waste.

I have heard mostly negative things about Boatwrights and it i my plan to avoid it. I'm pretty happy with my reservations so far although there's virtually no chance of us breaking even on the DDP unless I can shuffle a few reservations or we really maximize the use of out snack and counter service credits. You can bet I'll be doing that, but my wife and daughter likely won't.

The one bright spot is that the almost-one-year-old is a bottomless pit. There's a good chance she'll eat Mickey out of house and home and it won't cost me a dime.

Be warned. You may want to sell your Disney stock before mid-March. Their bottom line is going to take a hit once my baby hits the buffets!

WDW_Emily

WOW lots of planning but your sure to have a great trip:)
I can relate to the whole unsure about tickets/adding DDP/ not really booking your own vacation.
I have two relatives that work for the parks so they get a discount on the rooms and free tickets to the parks. Right now, we are booked for April at Pop but it is unclear as to what we are paying for the resort. We also don't know how many tickets we are going to get into the parks because we are a group of 6(we think were getting 4 free tickets to each park but were not sure) We want to know all the details but we can't and you can't beat the savings! so we just have to go with the flow. But I agree with you it drives me crazy not being able to control all the planning.

heartodisney

Hope the 4 y.o. does much better when you do the autograph book! We look forward to that when we go! We saw and talked to one 4 y.o. in Epcot in "07 waiting to have Belle and the Beast sign, she had purple EVERYTHING! Dress, fingernail polish, book, pen, you name it...her parents just took it with a grain of salt and they were very funny too. She just talked and talked while we had fun listening to her...oh, by the way..I will just stick it out with my stock I have...ya neva know!

lebeau

Original Poster
WOW lots of planning but your sure to have a great trip:)
I can relate to the whole unsure about tickets/adding DDP/ not really booking your own vacation.
I have two relatives that work for the parks so they get a discount on the rooms and free tickets to the parks. Right now, we are booked for April at Pop but it is unclear as to what we are paying for the resort. We also don't know how many tickets we are going to get into the parks because we are a group of 6(we think were getting 4 free tickets to each park but were not sure) We want to know all the details but we can't and you can't beat the savings! so we just have to go with the flow. But I agree with you it drives me crazy not being able to control all the planning.

It's a good problem to have. It's hard to turn down free Disney or even partially free. But there's also something to be said for having complete control of your destiny even if it costs a little extra. I tend to take this approach with air fare. I'll jump on it when it's affordable rather than wait to see if it gets cheap.

Enjoy your trip!

LeafsFanNL

Back to dining, I had some problems getting a lot of the popular reservations since I didn't start trying until 6 weeks before we left. (The original plan was to eat most of our meals off property.) MK resort restaraunts were booked solid except at really off times. The Fantasmic dinner package is also sold out. Most of the DTD restaraunts were booked solid too. However, through perseverence I was able to book enough reservations that our table service credits won't go to waste.

What ADR's do you have? As long as you are doing your reservations online, I'd suggest that you try every day for ADR's you'd really like, sometimes openings pop up.

HB

lebeau

Original Poster
Hope the 4 y.o. does much better when you do the autograph book! We look forward to that when we go! We saw and talked to one 4 y.o. in Epcot in "07 waiting to have Belle and the Beast sign, she had purple EVERYTHING! Dress, fingernail polish, book, pen, you name it...her parents just took it with a grain of salt and they were very funny too. She just talked and talked while we had fun listening to her...oh, by the way..I will just stick it out with my stock I have...ya neva know!

I think she will. If not, it's not the end of the world. I'm just hoping she's okay with the princesses. If not, we'll have wasted some money on our castle meal!

It's funny. On her first trip, she was nearly two. I knew she wouldn't ride a lot of rides, so I planned to introduce her to the characters. At the gates of MK, she greeted Daisy like they were old friends (in spite of the fact she couldn't name any of the characters.) She laughed as Chip and Dale fought over her blown kisses. She walked in a parade at O'Hana holding Pluto's hand. She even blew kisses to all the villains in Spectromagic.

The next trip, she discovered she liked most rides. We had to tell her the ghosts in the HM were silly. But then she laughed her head off the whole time. But on this trip, she wanted no part of the characters whatsoever.

Since that time, she's been unpredictible. Santa Clause is okay. Easter Bunny no way. Spongebob (who she loves) was okay some days and terrifying on others.

She assures me all the time she won't "be shy" around Mickey Mouse because he's nice. But that can't be trusted. She's really looking forward to buying an autograph book. It's the first thing she wants to do. So I'm hoping that will embolden her. I know I can count on the friends of the characters to make it as good of an experience as it can be.

lebeau

Original Poster
What ADR's do you have? As long as you are doing your reservations online, I'd suggest that you try every day for ADR's you'd really like, sometimes openings pop up.

HB

I hear ya! I've had good luck with cancellations in the past.

As it stands right now, we have ressies as follows:

Thurs (dinner) - Garden Grill
Fri (dinner) - 50's PTC
Sat (breakfast) - CRT
Sun (dinner) - Akerhaus
Mon (dinner) - Liberty Tree Tavern
Tues (dinner) - Hollywood & Vine

I'm actually pretty pleased with these ressies. 50s is a must-do for our family every trip. We love Chip and Dale, so as long as our daughter isn't afraid of characters this trip I expect that will be a good time. We were able to score both of the princess meals which was a minor coup at this late date. LTT is basically there as a filler. And H&V was originally intended to be the Fantasmic dinner package. But when that didn't pan out, I thought maybe we should skip Fantasmic! anyway. Loud noises, villains and young children don't necessarily mix.

There are a few places I was interested in getting but so far have been unsuccessful. Chef Mickey's has been booked. But I'm not sure that will be the best fit anyway. O'hana is booked, but I'm not sure how kid-friendly it is for dinner. I tried for 199 Park Fare and could only get really off times. But I'm thinking we'll have the princesses covered at CRT and Akerhus. So there aren't any reservations that I'm really broken up about not getting.

lebeau

Original Poster
Today's my last day at work before we leave on our trip! I keep thinking about those commercials where the dad said he was "too excited to sleep". I'm in the frame of mind, but also slightly nervous. I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something.

Unfortunately, since we are leaving on a work day, no one was available to drive us to the airport. We looked at driving ourselves and leaving the car in long term parking. But that sounded like a pain. Instead, we're going to take a cab. That way, we can be dropped off at the curb and not have to cart kids and bags from the lot to check-in.

I haven't booked a cab for myself in a long time. Maybe never. Let me say, the local cab services don't inspire a lot of confidence. For one thing, very few of them provide car seats for children. One giggly dispatcher explained to me that they weren't legally required to use them because a cab is considered to be public transportation. But hey, it's still a car, right?

I finally found a cab that would provide a car seat. (We're not going to need one on the trip, so I don't want to carry one with us just for the cab ride!) He seemed slightly confused that there was a difference between an infant and a toddler car seat. So, we'll have to see what he shows up with. My wife assures me that our almost 1-year-old can sit in either.

So, hopefully the cab shows up. If not, we'll just have to drive ourselves. Although like I said I dread the idea of dragging bags from long term parking to check-in.

My wife has the girls packed. The suit case looks like it weighs a ton. When my wife packs for anything (trip or move) she never considers weight. She once packed everything she owned in garbage bags that weighed about 100 lbs each. Thus, the dread over carting around luggage while juggling a near 1-year-old and a near 5-year-old.

We should finish up packing ourselves tonight. We've got a little straightening up to do around the house before we leave for the airport. My parents are going to be checking in on the house and the dog. And my wife wants to make sure the house is clean enough for my mom to see it.

Other than that, we are all ready. Our oldest daughter is super excited about the cab. She's been asking to ride in a taxi for a long time. Weird, the things that excite kids. She's done planes, boats and monorails. So a taxi is exciting to her. I've prepared her for what she will experience in WDW as well as I can.

We've been checking the weather forecasts and the crowd calendar. Every day the weather forecast looks better and the crowd calendar looks worse. Disney recently extended park hours and entertainment offerings during our stay. I told my wife that this was good news in the obvious sense that the park's will be open longer. But it's bad news in the sense that Disney only does that when they expect big crowds.

I think this is a good trade-off for us. We're early risers even on vacation. We'll be at the parks at rope drop. (Sometimes before with breakfast reservations.) We'll head back to POR in the afternoon when the crowds are at their worst. Then we'll head back for dinner and stay in the evening when the crowds will hopefully thin out. In theory, the longer hours make it easier for us to spend our time in the parks when the crowds won't be as bad.

That's all I can think of. I'll post a trip report when we get back!

LeafsFanNL

I think this is a good trade-off for us. We're early risers even on vacation. We'll be at the parks at rope drop. (Sometimes before with breakfast reservations.) We'll head back to POR in the afternoon when the crowds are at their worst. Then we'll head back for dinner and stay in the evening when the crowds will hopefully thin out. In theory, the longer hours make it easier for us to spend our time in the parks when the crowds won't be as bad.

For the first timers out there, this is the best way to tour that there is.

HB

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom