lebeau's Pre-Trip Report

Hello all,

I'm knee-deep in planning for our family's upcoming March trip. I'm writing this pre-trip report partially to pass the time without going crazy from waiting and parially because the experience of planning this particular trip has been an interesting one.

First, let me introduce the players.

Obviously, there's me. I'm the Disney fan in the family. More specifically, I'm the Disney parks nut. I had been to MK as a kid and Epcot as a teen. But I didn't get crazy about Disney until I went as an adult. My wife was a big fan of Mickey Mouse. But she'd never been to WDW. So when I planned our honeymoon, I figured we had to go to WDW. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it. A few years later, I am here on the forums and my wife tolerates my Disney "obessession".

Then there's my wife. I've pretty much told her story as relates to WDW. Honestly, she would prefer a more relaxing vacation than Disney World. Her idea of a vacation would be somewhere she can watch TV and swim. Yes, she can do both of those things at WDW. But I'm constantly dragging her out to the theme parks.

Our oldest daughter is 4. She'll be almost 5 at the time of the trip. This will be her thrid trip to WDW (a fact which surprises me). She has some memories of the first two trips, but I think it's mostly from hearing stories about them more so than actually remembering.

And our youngest daughter is still an infant. She'll be nearly a year old at the time of the trip and is toddling around pretty well. She's not yet walking, but she's really close. This is her first official trip, although my wife was pregnant with her on the last trip. (And yes, my wife was pretty miserable that trip).

In a supporting role, we have my younger brother. He was a cheerleader in college and taught cheerleading for many years after that. Now, he has moved into a more professional career. But he still judges cheerleading competitions from time to time. One of the reasons he does this is that he gets free trips to WDW.

We have been with my brother on one of his free trips in the past. A few years ago, he had a room to himself and a couple of tickets. So we flew down and crashed in his room and used his extra tickets. It was a bit of a stressful trip. Since we weren't making reservations ourselves, it was practically impossible to plan in advance. We didn't even know for sure if we were going until the week before the trip.

Although we couldn't beat the price, I decided not to do this kind of trip again. It was too hard to plan. And the room was somewhat cramped with three adults and a child. Our daughter didn't sleep through the night at the time and I felt bad about waking my brother up during his busy judging schedule.

This year, my brother had an interesting proposition. He wasn't sure, but he thought he might be able to swing a free room and tickets for us. Naturally, I was interested. Also, this would be the last year we could go on one of these March trips without having to pull my oldest daughter out of school. So, I figured we'd give it one last hurrah if he could work out the details.

Unfortunately, we couldn't get much of a commitment out of the company holding the tournament. When my brother asked for details about what would be available, they were non-responsive. Eventually, we decided to start looking at other vacation options since our free Disney vacation seemed unlikely.

With two young children, vacation options were limited. Our oldest daughter doesn't travel very well, so long drives were out. And with two kids in daycare, we couldn't afford to spend a lot of money on a vacation. But we definitely wanted to go somewhere. My wife remembered that a relative of hers had a time share in FL. She inquired about renting it.

As it turned out, that time share was 4 miles from Walt Disney World. While it wouldn't be free, it would be affordable. And it was far more swank than a room at WDW. My wife was thrilled at the prospect of staying at such a luxurious vacation destination even if it most likely meant visiting some of the local theme parks.

Our good luck continued. The cheerleading competition finally got back to my brother about what they could offer him. The free room was out, but they could provide some free Park Hopper tickets. The discounted time share combined with the free park tickets added up to a pretty affordable vacation.

The big expenses would be air fare for three and food. Staying offsite meant that we could prepare much of our own food, but we would need to rent a car and pay for parking. Still, it all seemed doable. I was a little nervous about the lodging being out of my hands. But my wife trusted that it would all be taken care of.

Once we got word that the time share was available during the week of the competition, I started pricing plane tickets. (I should note that the free tickets are special tickets for the competition. They are only valid that week.)

Due to spring break, air fare in March was unusually expensive. However, I did find two days that were pretty reasonable. If we left on a Wed and returned on a Wed, we could save a few hundred bucks off any other dates during the time frame our tickets were available. I don't remember exactly how much, but I believe it was around $600.00.

After quickly confirming that the time share would be available Wed-Wed, I went ahead and bought the tickets which were around $200 a piece. While this was hardly a bargain, it was the best price I think I've ever gotten for plane tickets to Orlando so I wanted to lock it in place before the prices went up.

(Looking at ticket prices today, I needn't have bothered. Prices are about the same and have gone down for some of the surrounding dates. Although the dates I've picked are still the cheapest and are still the same price.)

You can probably see where all of this is going. After locking in the plane tickets, we got word from my wife's relative that the time share was not available for those dates. Quickly, I called the airline. The price of changing the travel dates was ridiculous. It ate up all of the savings on the time share.

Thankfully, Disney is discounting like crazy on rooms these days. So I immediately went to Mousesavers.com for discount codes. Turns out, they had the same deals on the WDW website. Of offers available, I selected 35% off a moderate resort. The price was right along the lines of our discounted time share. It was actually cheaper when you factor in the rental car and parking.

The only moderate resort available at the discount was POR. That suited me just fine as I have always wanted to stay there. Still, I decided to play around and see what else I could get. I had a scary moment when the website no longer showed POR as available either. For a few minutes there, it looked like I'd have to shell out for a deluxe or stay at a value resort. My wife would freak out either way.

Fortunately, I was able to get the offer again on POR. Not sure if that was user error or if POR temporarily became unavailable. But either way it scared me into wanting to commit right away.

My wife confirmed that the time share just wasn't going to work out. I ran the numbers with her. Our primary concern about staying on property was the cost of the food. We had planned to trim our budget by preparing our own food. That would not be an option at POR.

I decided to price the dining plan. Of course, this meant buying park tickets as well. Even though we had free tickets provided, they were only 3-day tickets. They could be upgraded, but since they were not regular tickets they did not have the built-in savings per day. Each additional day would cost $50. So we decided not to upgrade the free tickets.

When we had planned to stay off site and rent a car, we had also planned an excursion to Sea World (which my wife loves). Since Sea World was no longer an option without the rental car, we decided to use the money we would have used for SW tickets to buy 1-day Disney tickets so that we could qualify for the DDP.

We don't actually figure to save any money with the DDP. But there is a certain peace of mind knowing what we will spend on food. The discounted room, the extra tickets and the DDP all fit within what we had allocated for the trip - just barely.

Our new plan presented a few challenges. For one thing, it was a bit of a scramble securing ressies 6 weeks out. As you can imagine, most of the popular places (Chef Mickey, O'hana, etc) were unavailable. However, I had set up a few ressies when we had originally planned the trip. We even had breakfast scheduled at Cinderella's castle.

(I'm glad I can now pay for that with table service credits instead of out-of pocket!)

After a few sessions of ressie hunting, I was satisfied that our table service credits wouldn't go to waste. We definitely aren't maximizing our bang for our buck though. With an impatient and somewhat picky 4-year-old, we opted for lots of buffets and character meals rather than sit-down meals where we'd have to order off menus and wait for our food to come.

We now had 4 days worth of tickets and a total of 6 full days of vacation not counting travel days. However, we may yet be able to stretch those 4 days into 6 days worth of tickets. Frequently on these trips, my brother is able to scrounge up partially used tickets for additional days.

Even if he is unable to do so, I came up with a reasonably affordable way to turn our 4 days into 6. The three 3-day PH passes we are getting from the competition are all usable by adults. So, if it looks unlikely that additional tickets will be available, I will upgrade my daughter's ticket to a 6-day PH and my wife and I will split the 9 days of park admission between ourselves.

I'm still working out what our exact itinerary will be. But the plan is to keep things very loose. With a pre-schooler and an infant, we aren't going to be going commando this time (although my wife has her doubts about my ability to do so). With 6 days to tour the parks, we should be able to take our time and still see everything we are interested in seeing.

I'm also interested in taking our first trip to the Boardwalk. We've never been on any of our previous visits. My wife just loves DTD, so I think the Boardwalk will apeal to her a lot - maybe even moreso. The plan is to visit the Boardwalk on our arrival day rather than touring any of the parks.

So, that's where we stand now. I'm still hammering out some minor details. And I'm actively preparing our oldest daughter for seeing the characters and riding rides. We've got to find a home for the family dog while we're away (I'm hoping not to have to shell out for a kennel.) But most of the big puzzle pieces are in place.

After the time share, I'm still a little worried about our the park tickets. My brother assures me we'll have three 3-day park hoppers at a minimum. But I won't feel 100% confident until I have the tickets in my hand. If we get there and the tickets don't materialize, I will have scheduled a vacation during spring break for no good reason.

But I'm confident that I'm worrying for nothing in that respect. My brother has been on this trip many times and he's never had a problem scoring tickets. Still, you can't help but be a little nervous, you know?

More developments as they come up until we leave in March. I'm sure when we get back I'll post a detailed trip report as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading!

heartodisney

picture.php

With all that you have already gone through BEFORE your trip, I still think it will be a very good one. There are many things to do on the Boardwalk. Visit the Wylands art gallery, amny places to eat..even for breakfst..you also can enter Epcot there too. Just have a safe and wonderful trip!

lebeau

Original Poster
lol - planning the trip has been a lot or work. But I won't lie, I love every minute of planning. It's almost as much fun as going. And I actually think the time share thing may have been a blessing in disguise. I think the whole trip will be easier and more relaxing with two young children now that we are staying on property.

I do feel bad for my wife though. The two things she was really looking forward to were the time share and Sea World. And now both will have to wait. I have promised her complete control over the next vacation though.

She is doing a really good job of looking at the bright side of things. I'm sure the trip will be a great one.

I'm really looking forward to the Boardwalk. I think my wife will really enjoy herself there. We've got dinner reservations at the Cape May Cafe that night. Then it's off to hang around the Boardwalk for a while.

heartodisney

I understand about the planning phase of your upcoming trip...my wife and I talk constantly about our next WDW trip, and one thing does not change, staying onsite! We are very sure about what resort we will try next, but of course where we eat and what parks we do in certain days will change on a daily basis. This is due to what info I gather from this site, tv shows, or books I read! My daughter will be 4 on the next trip and it will be her first visit. I am gathering info on not just parks, but little things, like a scavenger hunt through one park while my wife and I film all this...her mom will be with us and it will be her first visit also. I know I will live that trip through both their eyes! Good luck with your plans and trip!

lebeau

Original Poster
I understand about the planning phase of your upcoming trip...my wife and I talk constantly about our next WDW trip, and one thing does not change, staying onsite! We are very sure about what resort we will try next, but of course where we eat and what parks we do in certain days will change on a daily basis. This is due to what info I gather from this site, tv shows, or books I read! My daughter will be 4 on the next trip and it will be her first visit. I am gathering info on not just parks, but little things, like a scavenger hunt through one park while my wife and I film all this...her mom will be with us and it will be her first visit also. I know I will live that trip through both their eyes! Good luck with your plans and trip!

That is great. I wish my wife was more interested in discussing plans for our trip. I could talk about it all day. But she is not a detail-oriented person and she loathes planning. She just wants to show up and enjoy herself. So she mostly tolerates my planning.

We've stayed both on-site and off. There's definitely advantages and disadvantages to both. I do think that with a 4-year-old and an infant, staying on property will have some big plusses.

You're in for a treat. Your child's first trip will just be wonderful. You can't beat seeing WDW through your kid's eyes.

Good luck and have a great trip yourself!

lebeau

Original Poster
A couple of "cute kid" stories from my planning experience so far.

As I mentioned above, I've been preparing our 4-year-old for the trip in any way I can. On her first trip, she was nearly 2 and she loved the characters but had no use for rides. On her second trip, she loved dark rides or anything with a boat, but was stand-offish with the characters. She had no patience for shows and got antsy in meals. So I'm trying to prepare her for possilby riding some bigger rides and to see the characters again.

One of the things I've been doing is to show her ride videos and character interactions at YouTube and the WDW website. She is very excited about seeing the princesses. Especially Ariel. And we have ressies at the castle and at Akerhaus in Epcot. So we should get our princess fix.

But her favorite video to watch is the minute-long promo video for the Haunted Mansion at the WDW website. She rode HM last trip after I convinced her the ghosts were "silly" not scary. At first, when she saw the HM video on the website, she was afraid to click it. But I reminded her about the "silly ghosts". Now she watches it over and over again.

She can sort of sing the clip of "Grim Ginning Ghosts" that plays in the videos, but there's some big words that trip her up. Her favorite part of the video is the end when the ghost says "Hurry back." Every single time, she says "Daddy, I couldn't hear her cause you were talking." Of course, I'm never talking. This is just a game she likes to play and it cracks her up.

Another way in which I am trying to prepare her for the trip is to set expectations regarding souveniers. She's absolutely toy-crazy and expects to get a toy whenever she goes into a store. (I have her mom to thank for that.) It doesn't have to be expensive. She's satisfied with any purchase. But she expects something. On our last trip, we carted back a luggage full of relatively inexpensive souveniers (and a few just plain expensive ones).

The other day, I decided it would be a good idea to show her a vacation planning video. (Especially since every time we go online, she just wants to watch the HM video again and again.) I put it on and asked her to let me know when she saw something that looked appealing to her. Every time she saw a princess, she said she wanted to meet her. Dumbo and of course the Haunted Mansion both got positive reactions.

Then she jumped up off the couch, ran to the TV and started pointing madly. "Daddy!" she proclaimed. "They have a gift shop!" Heavy sigh.

We had prepared my daughter for staying at a time share. She had seen pictures and was very excieted about the Jacuzzi bath (or the 'cuzzi bath as she refers to it). So when the plan changed to stay at POR, I tried to explain it to her.

I told her we would now be staying "on property". "What's that mean?" "Well, before we were going to stay at a hotel and drive to Disney World. Now, we're going to sleep at Disney World."

Her eyes opened wide. I could see the wheels turning.

"Are we going to live at Disney World?" she asked.

"Well, sort of," I chuckled. "Just while we're on vacation."

"How long is that?" she asked.

"For about a week," I answered.

"I got an idea," she said. "How about we live at Disney World for 100 days."

"We'll see," I said.

A couple of days later, she was at her dance class. One of the kids there is a bit, shall we say, competitive. She always has the latest toys, clothes and whatnot. (It's truly amazing to me how early this stuff starts.) So this girl announces that she is going to Disney World tomorrow and she will be staying for 10 days.

My daughter very proudly announced that her daddy said she was goin in March and she would be living there for 100 days. All the moms at dance got a big kick out of that one.

heartodisney

That is great. I wish my wife was more interested in discussing plans for our trip. I could talk about it all day. But she is not a detail-oriented person and she loathes planning. She just wants to show up and enjoy herself. So she mostly tolerates my planning.

We've stayed both on-site and off. There's definitely advantages and disadvantages to both. I do think that with a 4-year-old and an infant, staying on property will have some big plusses.

You're in for a treat. Your child's first trip will just be wonderful. You can't beat seeing WDW through your kid's eyes.

Good luck and have a great trip yourself!
picture.php
Sorry that your wife does not "get into the spirit" of the planning phase...it can really help and bring all closer together! I just had to laugh when you put that down, also when you said you could talk about it all day...same here..kinda scary...:lookaroun..and I know there others that will say that there is more to life than Disney...true..but then..why are they on these threads! :D :lol:

harveyt0206

Sounds great Lebeau. Have a wonderful trip. I too have always wanted to try POR, so be sure to let us know how you and your family like it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
All I can say is that as in war, flexibility is the genus of any good plan. Have yourselves a wonderful time! :)

lebeau

Original Poster
Sounds great Lebeau. Have a wonderful trip. I too have always wanted to try POR, so be sure to let us know how you and your family like it.

Will do.

You can expect a full trip report with pictures in late March/early April. I figure anyone who's read my ramblings about planning the trip is entitled to know how it all turned out!

lebeau

Original Poster
picture.php
Sorry that your wife does not "get into the spirit" of the planning phase...it can really help and bring all closer together! I just had to laugh when you put that down, also when you said you could talk about it all day...same here..kinda scary...:lookaroun..and I know there others that will say that there is more to life than Disney...true..but then..why are they on these threads! :D :lol:

Hey, that's why I come here! The chance to discuss planning with like-minded Disney enthusiasts. (Plus you guys are the undisputed experts. Whatever my question, I always get high quality answers in minutes!)

Thank goodness for WDWMagic!

(Plus it gives my poor wife a break from my non-stop planning.)

lebeau

Original Poster
All I can say is that as in war, flexibility is the genus of any good plan. Have yourselves a wonderful time! :)

Thanks!

Flexibilty was the name of the game in putting this trip together. And it will be on the trip itself too. It's really challenging to plan a trip around a 4-year-old who may decide on arrival that she is terrified of rides and/or characters. We'll be "winging it" through most of the trip.

lebeau

Original Poster
Here's what I have sketched out so far.

Arrival Day - We should be arriving at MCO around 5:00. We'll be hopping on board the ME shuttle to POR.

Tangent: I'm really looking forward to not having to struggle with luggage and two little kids. Last time we stayed on property, it was a last minute thing. I was able to arrange to use the ME shuttle to and from the resort. But we had to wrangle the luggage ourselves. Let me tell you, pulling all that luggage plus an almost two year old (who would not walk or sit in a stroller) from the airport to Coranado Springs was not especially magical. And then our room was as far from check-in as possible. If my brother hadn't met us there to help us pull the luggage, I'd probably still be there right now.

After we get checked in, the plan is to head over to the Beach Club. We've got late dinner reservations at the Cape May Cafe. The idea is to grab dinner and then explore the Boardwalk. We've never seen this part of Disney before. Personally, I like to visit other resorts on property whenever possible. And there's no better time to do this than on arrival day.

If we are running late for our reservations or we're just too pooped to travel to the Beach Club, we may just grab something at the counter service restaraunt at POR and then make our way over to the Boardwalk. Or, if we're extremely tired/lazy, we may hop one of the boats over to DTD. I understand Wolfgang Puck's Cafe is an excellent use of a counter service credit.

Day 1 - Epcot

As I detailed above, we should have some PH tickets waiting for us thanks to the fine folks who run the cheerleading tournament which is the whole reason for this trip. However, we don't know for sure when we can pick those tickets up. I've been told it should not be a problem to pick them up Thursday night (which is when my brother should be arriving). That leaves us more or less on our own Thurday.

Fortunately, we had to be at least a one-day ticket each in order to qualify for the DDP. These tickets won't be PHs, so whatever park we visit will be the only park we can visit that day.

When deciding what park to visit on our non-PH day, there were really only two candidates, Epcot and Magic Kingdom. I just couldn't be sure about getting a full day out of the other two parks. Especially since thrill rides will mostly be off limits and my daughter has very little patience for shows. My reasoning for choosing Epcot over MK is that Epcot may seem like a let-down to a 4-year-old after MK.

Travelling with an infant and a pre-schooler, I'm not setting out a rigid agenda for the day. But I do have a loose plan. Like everyone else, we're going to head straight for Soarin'. Hopefully, we'll get there before stand-by is outrageous. (The plan is definitely to be there at park open.) If we fall short, we'll grab a FP.

If the stand-by wait is short enough, we'll ride it first before grabbing a FP to ride again. Soarin' is one of those rides I've been preparing my daughter for. We think she'll be ready to experience it. But if not, I don't want to force her. We'll have to do the baby swap since we'll also have an infant. So, if my 4-year-old likes Soarin', she'll get to ride twice. If she does and she really likes it, we'll grab FPs to come back later in the day.

We may stick around the Land Pavillion long enough to check out Living With the Land. In general, my daughter likes boat rides. So even if this one doesn't include any animatronics, I think she may enjoy it. I can't remember if I've ever been on LWtL. If I have, it's been a long time. Like much of Epcot, it would be new to my wife.

After the Land, we'll most likely head over to the Seas with Nemo and friends. My wife hasn't been here since the Nemo overlay and she really wants to see Turtle Talk. I have no doubt my daughter will love both the ride and Crush. Then we explore until my daughter is ready to move on.

The next stop is likely Journey Into Imagination. I've introduced my daughetr to Figment. I think she'll enjoy the ride more if she knows who he is. We'll most likely take a pass on Honey I Shrunk the Audience. My wife and I saw it some time ago and it's probably too scary for my daughter. I think she'll have some fun in the What If Labs. She tends to like these kinds of exhibits.

By this point in the day, we really start to play things by ear. I'll be watching to see if it's time to head back to the room for a nap or a dip in the pool. Basically, the plan is to check out the remaining dark rides in Future World either before or after a nap. They will all be new to my wife and daughter, and it's been over a decade since I've ridden any of them other than Nemo.

(My wife's a huge Ellen fan, so I look forward to her reaction to the Universe of Energy.)

On the way out of the park, I'll likely grab FPs for Test Track. This is another "thrill" ride I think my daughter can handle.

After nap, we'll come back and use up whatever FPs we have left from the morning. We'll also explore whatever bits of Future World beckon us before moving on to World Showcase.

We have dinner reservations at the Garden Grill. During my daughter's first visit, she had a blast with Chip and Dale. While we were waiting in line to see them, she started blowing them kisses and they pretended to fight over them. Chip and Dale have been family favorites ever since.

However, I'll probably make a point of stopping into the Character Connection at some point prior to dinner to see how she feels about the characters on this trip. Sometimes, they freak her out. If that's the case, we may cancel dinner at the Garden Grill.

After dinner, we'll most likely head over to the World Showcase. I'm not sure if we'll just walk around taking in the sites or if we'll try out the Kim Possible game. At some point during the trip, I'm sure we'll play it. I expect my daughter we'll love it. But we may save it for another day depending how things are going.

Whether or not we stick around for Illuminations is another judgement call that won't be made until I see how things are going. Much like the characters, my daughter is sometimes scared of loud fireworks. We'll have to see if she is feeling up to it.

Also, at some point during the night I'll need to meet up with my brother to get the PH tickets we'll use for the rest of the trip. So I don't want to be too exhausted to run that errand. Especially since he'll be staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort instead of Port Orleans like us.

More to come as I figure it out.

LeafsFanNL

Hi,

What time share were you looking at? Having stayed at POR, in 2009 and POFQ in 2007, I love both of them, and you should enjoy them as well. In 2008 we stayed at the Sheraton Vistana. We made the mistake of relying on their "frequent prompt" shuttle service. never again.

HB

lebeau

Original Poster
Hi,

What time share were you looking at? Having stayed at POR, in 2009 and POFQ in 2007, I love both of them, and you should enjoy them as well. In 2008 we stayed at the Sheraton Vistana. We made the mistake of relying on their "frequent prompt" shuttle service. never again.

HB

How funny!

That's where we were going to stay. We were definitely renting a car though. I've heard horror stories about the shuttles!

lebeau

Original Poster
A few updates as we get ready for our trip.

There haven't been any major upheavals since the last time I checked in (thank goodness!). But there have been a few minor tweaks and some stories I thought I would share.

My brother was finally able to get in touch with the cheerleading competition. They confirmed that our free park hoppers should be waiting for us on arrival. I'm not sure exactly where I'll need to go to pick them up, but it should be at CBR.

Seeing as how the tickets should be at CBR when we arrive, I've pretty much scratched my arrival day plan of visiting the Boardwalk. Instead, we'll get situated at POR and then hop a boat over to DTD. I'm thinking we'll use a QS credit at the Wolfgang Puck Express as that seems to be a pretty good bang for your counter service buck. After that, I'll truck on over to CBR to get the tickets. I'm assuming the wife and kids will probably just head on back to POR for a rest, but that will be up to them.

Speaking of the dining plan, I did something I probably shouldn't have done. Or, if I was going to do it I should have done it before I purchased the plan! I finally took the time to do the math on the DDP and what I thought we would likely eat. Suffice it to say, we're going to have to work to get our money's worth out of the plan. We're really going to have to maximize the value we get out of each snack and counter service meal if we're going to have a chance at breaking even.

The big surprises for me was the low ROI on two of our choices. Our average meal at the 50s Prime Time Cafe was around $18-19 including drink and dessert. (The kids meal brings it down, obviously.) And since it eats up 2 table service credits each, breakfast at the castle doesn't fare much better. If we are thinking we will eat a lot of table service meals, I may pay for one of these out of pocket and save the table service credits for something with a higher ROI.

This got me second-guessing my decision to purchase the dining plan. I went so far to consider switching my reservations, but it didn't make sense given the fees Disney would charge me. I was slightly bummed until I started paying some bills.

With two kids in daycare, March wasn't exactly the perfect time for us to plan a big vacation. I would have much preferred waiting until summer when one of our kids would be out of daycare. That alone pretty much pays for the vacation. However, then we would be out the free tickets my brother got for us.

Suffice it to say, money's a little tight right now. The light's at the end of the tunnel, but paying for a big trip on top of day care for both kids and the usual bills had me a little nervous.

Thankfully, since I paid for the vacation with my Disney Visa, I don't have to pay it off until August. Ordinarily, I always pay my balance as soon as the statement comes in. But with the promotional zero APR, I can wait until after our tax refund comes in to pay this time.

Suddenly, having our meals pre-paid seems like a pretty good thing since I don't have to actually pay for them for six months. I won't pretend that was a factor in choosing the dining plan. But it turns out to have been an unexpected perk.

One final (sort of) funny story before I end this installment. I was at my daughter's gymnastic class and some of the parents were talking. I was telling them about the ordeal with the time share and everything that went on with that. I mentioned that my wife was disappointed because she is not a big fan of staying on property.

One of the mom's responded very strongly to that. She agreed that she didn't like staying on property either. But then she said that it was probably because of where she stayed. I asked where she stayed when she had such a bad experience. Of course it was Port Orleans. She was so embarassed when I told her that's where we were staying.

I've mostly heard good to excellent things about PO, so her negative review hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for staying there. It sounds like she was upset because her husband insisted she stay on property when she wanted to stay at the Marriot.

More to come as we hammer out the smaller details.

LeafsFanNL

One final (sort of) funny story before I end this installment. I was at my daughter's gymnastic class and some of the parents were talking. I was telling them about the ordeal with the time share and everything that went on with that. I mentioned that my wife was disappointed because she is not a big fan of staying on property.

One of the mom's responded very strongly to that. She agreed that she didn't like staying on property either. But then she said that it was probably because of where she stayed. I asked where she stayed when she had such a bad experience. Of course it was Port Orleans. She was so embarassed when I told her that's where we were staying.

I've mostly heard good to excellent things about PO, so her negative review hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for staying there. It sounds like she was upset because her husband insisted she stay on property when she wanted to stay at the Marriot.

More to come as we hammer out the smaller details.

I think that when you evaluate something you need to be somewhat objective. Clearly this lady was not.

In 2007 we stayed in building 2 at the POFQ. I loved the theming, loved the small size of the resort. We were able to be at the bus stop, CS restaurant or the boat launch in about 1 minute. The kids loved the pool with the dragon slide. As for the Disney Transport we found that when we were there that POFQ did not share busses with POR, and that access was great to everywhere but AK. The trip to AK was ok but long.

In 2009 we stayed at the Magnolia Terrace building in Magnolia Bend. The building and grounds were grand. Access to the main pool took about 2 minutes. Access to the food court and the busses was 3-4 minutes tops. We didn't find it to be too bad, but it was a little inconvenient to get a coffee at the food court. Now the following observation is made with the understanding that the boys were a couple of years older, but they were not so fond of the main pool on Old Man Island. They found it crowded and loud. Right next to our building was one of the rectangular quiet pools, which we ended up using for the rest of the week. We enjoyed the pool, but we did find the lack of shade tough for our cold Canadian blood. One day late in our stay, we decided to check out the quiet pools in the Alligator Bayou part of the resort. They were much smaller, and shaded so we preferred them. Back in January when were beginning to think about going back this Easter, the quiet pools were a big factor in our initial choice of the Alligator Bayou part of the Riverside resort. As for the transportation, we found that it was worth it to us to grab the bus at the main building, (South Depot??) We would then sometimes pick up people at the other depots, sometimes not.

One thing we found on both visits is that we would book dining almost exclusively at parks or at MK area resorts. I could be wrong, but I find one of the perks of the Port Orleans resorts is ease of access to the MK. On Google Earth Port Orleans seems close to the MK. From memory, the only times we ate at non MK area resorts was a last night dinner at Jiko in 2007. We took the bus to the AK, then took an AK lodge bus to Jiko. We took a taxi home as the then 5 year olds were tired. In 2009 we had a Character Breakfast reservation at the Cape May Cafe. We took the bus to the Studios, then the boat to the Beach Club.

LeafsFanNL

A few updates as we get ready for our trip.

Speaking of the dining plan, I did something I probably shouldn't have done. Or, if I was going to do it I should have done it before I purchased the plan! I finally took the time to do the math on the DDP and what I thought we would likely eat. Suffice it to say, we're going to have to work to get our money's worth out of the plan. We're really going to have to maximize the value we get out of each snack and counter service meal if we're going to have a chance at breaking even.

The big surprises for me was the low ROI on two of our choices. Our average meal at the 50s Prime Time Cafe was around $18-19 including drink and dessert. (The kids meal brings it down, obviously.) And since it eats up 2 table service credits each, breakfast at the castle doesn't fare much better. If we are thinking we will eat a lot of table service meals, I may pay for one of these out of pocket and save the table service credits for something with a higher ROI.

This got me second-guessing my decision to purchase the dining plan. I went so far to consider switching my reservations, but it didn't make sense given the fees Disney would charge me. I was slightly bummed until I started paying some bills.

In 2007 we were on the DDP which at the time included gratuities and appetizers. In 2009 we also went on the DDP. This year it's going to be the DxDP. DW just loves the signature restauraunts. In '07 we ate at Narcoosees, Jiko, and the Spirit of Aloha. In '09 we went back to Narcoosee's, and Artist's Point. This year it's the Narcoosees hat trick, Artists Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse, and the Flying Fish Cafe.

I have a non logical perspective on the value of the DDP. In 2008 when we stayed at the Vistana (yuck). the only meal we ate onsite was the Fantasmic package at Hollywood and Vine. The buffet was about $75. I couldn't help but take the price into account when I finished the meal. Not having to concern myself with the cost of something keeps the magic alive, at least in me.

Perhaps this comes from pre-disney vacations. Before the kids came along, DW and I would spend our Easter Holidays in the Islands. We always stayed at All Inclusive resorts. Once at Sandals for our Honeymoon in 1997, once in the Bahamas, and three times in Varadero, Cuba. I suppose I am conditioned towards not paying for the food at the table?

One last observation. I'd skip Boatwrights. It was the only meal I ate on property that I did nat care for was the prime rib I had last April. It was very plain. DW found her meal plain as well. The corn bread was good, we had never had it before.

HB

lebeau

Original Poster
I think that when you evaluate something you need to be somewhat objective. Clearly this lady was not.

In 2007 we stayed in building 2 at the POFQ. I loved the theming, loved the small size of the resort. We were able to be at the bus stop, CS restaurant or the boat launch in about 1 minute. The kids loved the pool with the dragon slide. As for the Disney Transport we found that when we were there that POFQ did not share busses with POR, and that access was great to everywhere but AK. The trip to AK was ok but long.

In 2009 we stayed at the Magnolia Terrace building in Magnolia Bend. The building and grounds were grand. Access to the main pool took about 2 minutes. Access to the food court and the busses was 3-4 minutes tops. We didn't find it to be too bad, but it was a little inconvenient to get a coffee at the food court. Now the following observation is made with the understanding that the boys were a couple of years older, but they were not so fond of the main pool on Old Man Island. They found it crowded and loud. Right next to our building was one of the rectangular quiet pools, which we ended up using for the rest of the week. We enjoyed the pool, but we did find the lack of shade tough for our cold Canadian blood. One day late in our stay, we decided to check out the quiet pools in the Alligator Bayou part of the resort. They were much smaller, and shaded so we preferred them. Back in January when were beginning to think about going back this Easter, the quiet pools were a big factor in our initial choice of the Alligator Bayou part of the Riverside resort. As for the transportation, we found that it was worth it to us to grab the bus at the main building, (South Depot??) We would then sometimes pick up people at the other depots, sometimes not.

One thing we found on both visits is that we would book dining almost exclusively at parks or at MK area resorts. I could be wrong, but I find one of the perks of the Port Orleans resorts is ease of access to the MK. On Google Earth Port Orleans seems close to the MK. From memory, the only times we ate at non MK area resorts was a last night dinner at Jiko in 2007. We took the bus to the AK, then took an AK lodge bus to Jiko. We took a taxi home as the then 5 year olds were tired. In 2009 we had a Character Breakfast reservation at the Cape May Cafe. We took the bus to the Studios, then the boat to the Beach Club.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've heard almost universally positive opinions on Port Orleans and I've always wanted to stay there. So, I'm not letting one negative review get to me.

The mom from gymnastics was upfront with her bias. She went in with a negative mindset because she had her heart set on staying somewhere else. I believe she is in the hotel business and said she has very high standards for hotels. The one vague criticism she gave was that she thought the rooms were rundown. I haven't heard this sentiment from anyone else, so I am going to take it as a case of personal bias and/or a bad experience.

I was looking at resort maps the other day. I was impressed just how close POR seemed to be to just about everything with the exception of Animal Kingdom. That's fine by me. We haven't even decided for sure if we'll be spending any time at AK on this visit. There's just not much for our kids to do there that we can't do at our local zoo. At most, we'll go soak in some of the atmosphere if we get bored at the other parks. The main focus on this trip will be MK and Epcot.

(I was really surprised how many things there would be for an almost-five-year-old to do at Epcot.)

Where we had a change of plans at the 11th hour I have been virtually unable to book any meals at the MK-area resorts. I had booked a character breakfast at O'hana before the plans changed. But I'll likely cancel that in favor of a sit-down dinner somewhere else. Breakfast just isn't cost effective on DDP. More on that next post :)

As for pools, I think we'll probably opt for the quiet pools. The baby is just going to wade into the pool with us. And our older daughter doesn't deal well with overly crowded pools. I don't think she'll be all that enamored of Old Man Island either. But I could be wrong. I showed her pictures of the aligator themed pool at POFQ and she was deathly afraid of them. But maybe she'll change her mind when she sees them in person and realizes they don't move.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom