Leaving in 1 day but....sick child!

Happy-go-Lucky

We are leaving for WDW tomorrow morning!!!!!!!:sohappy: BUT, my 4 year old (of course!) woke up yesterday with a runny nose and, now, a little bit of congestion. I'm not worried about him being sick on the trip because once he gets there, he'll be fine. I'm really concerned about his ears hurting when he's flying now. I don't want my child screaming for 2 hours on the plane. Can anyone make me feel better about this? Instead of being totally excited about going, now I'm stressed out! Has anyone ever flown before with a child that had a head cold and they did fine???

Thanks!
Tammy

ToTBellHop

I would definitely agree with using a little medication--the few times I have flown with a cold have been more than enough for me. Disney World does have a way of clearing out the sinuses, though.

Upvote 0

shybre

GO GET SOME CHILDRENS DIMETAPP OR CHILDRENS ROBITUSSIN AND START GIVING IT TO HIM NOW. iT WILL MAKE HIM SLEEP THROUGH THE PALNE RIDE PLUS HE SHOULD START FEELING BETTER IN ABOUT 3 DAYS

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I agree with the Benadryl suggestion or Dimetapp but as always check with your pediatrician as well, just to be on the safe side!!! Have a wonderful trip!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Add some children's Airborne and he will get over the cold much quicker. Benadryl will put him to sleep but it will do little for the runny nose unless it is allergy related. If it is a cold you will need something with psudophedrine HCL (Sudafed) to clear the congestion. If he/she gets wound up on straight Sudafed you might try one of the nighttime cold medicines to let the little guy sleep through the flight.

Upvote 0

Boray

Any decongestant should do and make his ears feel fine. Just do your best to get a good nap in today (if he still naps) and early to bed tonight. Medication will make him feel better and sleep better, therefore his body will be able to fight the cold better and he'll get better sooner to enjoy the mouse!!!

Upvote 0

SusanAnne

You may want to try earplanes for kids. They fit in your child's ears and help take any pressure off of their ears. We buy them every year before we go to Disney, and you can get them at Walmart or at a drug store, good luck!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Go to the doctor's first. Just in case he is working on a sinus or ear infection.
I can tell you from experience that you don't want to get there and then find out its not a cold or allergies.

I usually gave my little ones Dimetapp before we flew. It made them sleepy and also un clogged their ears. A piece of chewing gum (if he can handle that) is great for takeoff and landings.

Don't forget to pack your kid's tylenol or motrin and any cold remedy you use because they are very expensive at WDW. Good luck! :wave:

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
tigsmom said:
Go to the doctor's first. Just in case he is working on a sinus or ear infection.
I can tell you from experience that you don't want to get there and then find out its not a cold or allergies.

I usually gave my little ones Dimetapp before we flew. It made them sleepy and also un clogged their ears. A piece of chewing gum (if he can handle that) is great for takeoff and landings.

Don't forget to pack your kid's tylenol or motrin and any cold remedy you use because they are very expensive at WDW. Good luck! :wave:
Dont forget bourban or vodka for yourself in the event the child cries the whole flight. Also, in the event the flight does not go well, offer to buy drinks for everyone around you...it helps to stop the stares....if that doesnt work, just tell the people around you to *%$# off, its only two hours.

No charge for this info.....:D

Upvote 0

barnum42

Pack in the hold where he won't disturb anyone? ;)

But seriously (just trying to bring you a little levity in amongst the stress), I think the good folks of the boards have given you some great suggestions.

Hope the flight goes OK, and I know the Disney part will :wave:

Upvote 0

hansel1

I have serious allergy and congestion problems around the winter months. I was worried about our trip as well and I can tell you that as long as you use some type of decongestant and some type of pain releiver he will be fine. If the pressure does build up, the pain reliever will help.

There is something about florida that cures the common cold, congestion, etc. I would bet he would be fine on the plane ride down.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

tigsmom said:

That's if they aren't already sold out of it. We couldn't get the tylenol meltaways last august, it seemed like all the hotels were sold out.

Upvote 0

shopgirl

I had that problem as a child and as an adult a few times-- the best suggestions is to have your doctor prescribe something for the ears-- like ear drops-- that always worked well for me. If you can't get to the doctors office-- give him/her a decongest. and try to make them drink a lot of liquid--

Upvote 0

chris70785

For our kids congestion, our pediatrician recommends Rescon GG (it starts working almost immediately). You have to ask the pharmacist for it because it is behind the counter.

Upvote 0

tillman1

Ok, Myself And Family Just Got Back Thursday And Going Down On The 20th, Of April My Daughter's Allergies Were Bothering Her Bad. So I Gave Her Children's Motrin (which Works Great) And Some Benedryl. Now If You Can Get Your Hands On Some Singular For The Night That Would Be Good Too. Happy Wdw, And Have Fun I Did!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

tillman1 said:
Ok, Myself And Family Just Got Back Thursday And Going Down On The 20th, Of April My Daughter's Allergies Were Bothering Her Bad. So I Gave Her Children's Motrin (which Works Great) And Some Benedryl. Now If You Can Get Your Hands On Some Singular For The Night That Would Be Good Too. Happy Wdw, And Have Fun I Did!

Singulair is a prescription asthma drug and should not be given without a doctor's orders. There are age restrictions for the use of this drug and it is not a "fast acting" drug, it needs time to build up an effective blood level.

Sorry, but that is bad advice.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom