Layoffs underway at Walt Disney World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually it was greed. Pleasure Island was the most popular night life location in Orlando. Management got greedy and wanted to lease out almost every single space to 3rd parties and decided to do this at the worst possible time. So because of their bad timing the island stood nearly empty for over half a decade and now we have stores and restaurants who are allegedly struggling to make a profit.

Exactly...pleasure island would have been fine had they run it intelligently...but they tinkered everything into the ground.

Last edited:

larandtra

The reason there are no details is because its a fluid situation that has been in process for quite a while. Its not just about layoffs, thought hey are a sad side of the equation. Its easy to speculate on things and estimate when some "announcement" will be made. But, that would be all guess work. The only knowns to people who have direct knowledge or can say anything are that these changes are far reaching and part of a much bigger design being spearheaded by someone who was tired of the mess and had enough clout to push the agenda.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Hi, another GEM nervously and anxiously reading this thread for real information pertaining to jobs and layoffs. Can we open a new thread for the ongoing discussion over Disney Springs?

The people on these boards do a good job at posting all sorts of rumors and speculation. Please remember that this is also a place of employment and many people read what you write and there is a lot of anxiety right now because of what’s being posted on here. These are people’s jobs and livelihoods you’re talking about.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a GEM?

Also, I know the park managers wear Street drrsss clothes, but who are the employees that wear the khaki pants with the orange and white striped short sleeve shirts at MK? Are they managers of some sort as well?

While I certainly hope for the best for any employee of WDW who posts here and reads these boards, everything I have heard regarding the current changes going on, is to A. Eliminate Duplication of positions, B. Reorganize mid to upper level management in order to fix many of the "cast" issues and improve the overall park experience not only for guests, but employees as well, and C. To put things under one vision rather than having too many voices in the room and creating situations where there are multiple directions of leadership. Unfortunately,a s part of that, there are layoffs, not only of hourly employees, but, of management as well. I believe the hope is to return to what WDW was not only from fixing and reimagining the parks, but, to the cast and guest experience as well. The group, mainly led by a couple of very outspoken influential leaders who have the respect of others in leadership, are getting their way. All of this talk by some on here who are nothing more than rabble rousers and whiners is just that..Talk. They know nothing and their opinions on this matter are so far wrong it is not even funny. This is a change in direction and it will have an effect on a lot of people. But, in the long run, based on those leading this charge and the person(s) who will be given more control over WDW as a whole, this will be a good change.

Are you expecting that Kalogridis will be out when it’s all said and done or is he on board with this new push? I’m assuming he’s on board since he’s in charge unless this is coming from Burbank. I know you said that the person who is making the push has the clout? I’m assuming someone in the WDW E-Suite? Or am I way off base?

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Now come on, it's not fair at all to peg the rotting parade entirely - or even mostly - on "lower level minions." That sort of thing is a result of a management culture established at the highest levels, of drastic cuts to staffing and maintenance budgets. The buck stops with Iger - he deserves blame for the mismanagement of the parks for the last several decades just as much as he deserves credit for the astute handling of the film division.

And Ford is Ford. Posters here know his point of view and adjust accordingly. Just point out his "lies" - not hyperbole or subjective opinions that differ from your own - when you spot them.

I tend to agree for the most part with both of you, but never Ford. For what it is worth the 2 of you fight over very similar opinions

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
He clearly hasn't a single clue about Star Wars. It's kind of funny. I bet he is one of the types that think Rogue One was a movie full of girls, too, haha.

Rogue One is actually the proof of how strong the Star Wars brand is, especially since the real fan-service connections to the franchise were kept secret because they largely occur in the last ten minutes of the film. As much as I love the classic trilogy, it entirely proved that the Star Wars concepts can be put into what is largely an original film with almost all brand-new characters, they didn't even promote the most promotable features of the film, and it STILL made a billion bucks.

Star Wars is going to continue to make money for decades to come. It's survived 40 years, it's as evergreen as evergreen gets - and you bet your behind that every other studio is crying in their C-3PO's cereal that they didn't get to buy it themselves.

I was so happy when Disney picked up the Star Wars Saga. I yearned for a new film done right. Disney has delivered in my opinion. Pretty sure Rogue One is my new favorite replacing Episode 5.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A "gem" is a "guest experience manager"...the frontline non polyester wearing low level managers in the parks...pin lanyards and the occasionally garbage stabber in hand - to "get their hands dirty".

The equivalent on the resort side are the GSM - guest service managers. The ones that come out from behind the wall when your room is screwed up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was so happy when Disney picked up the Star Wars Saga. I yearned for a new film done right. Disney has delivered in my opinion. Pretty sure Rogue One is my new favorite replacing Episode 5.

Yes...but they have kinda shunned rogue one...
It was far more "Star Wars" than the Reboot Awakens

I'm not sure I like the way it's going...seems to be a bit of a schizophrenia buy the power brokers at the studio/corporate

Last edited:

raymusiccity

Actually it is not 145 at WDW, it is 145 in Parks and Resorts World Wide.

So the Massive layoff is .001 percent. Ford, take note, the these cuts at WDW were NOT to the front line GEMS, so far. A article seem to indicate that they will not be front line. That said have heard from those who would know of two resort GM's, a training manager, and an Assistant Director.... out of respect I will not give their name or locations but So so sad they lost their jobs. It may "only" be .001, but when its someone you know it stings. A lot.

Such a nice thing to say, and true. Well put but I would extend that to even higher levels. They are people, doing what they think is the best options and WAY more then 9 times out of ten, there is not malicious intent. Unlike many of the posts on this forum, they aren't out to get you. Of the one I have heard that lost their jobs, my heart is sadden and heavy for their families, and the impact this will have on their life. I take some comfort in the fact that the are good hard workers, with an excellent resume and I feel they will be able to recover from this. But that does mean it was deserving or will be fun.
Agreed.

It's been said that the definition of 'recession', is when your next door neighbor loses his job; ... 'Depression' is when you lose yours! :(

jpeden

In the Parks
No
A "gem" is a "guest experience manager"...the frontline non polyester wearing low level managers in the parks...pin lanyards and the occasionally garbage stabber in hand - to "get their hands dirty".

The equivalent on the resort side are the GSM - guest service managers. The ones that come out from behind the wall when your room is screwed up.

Thanks. I hate how the managers aren’t visible at the WDW resorts. It sends a message they aren’t interested in customer service. I shouldnt have to demand to see a manager face to face. I have asked over the years and often the frontline CM goes to the back and “talks” to the manager and he/she never comes out unless you basically demand to see them face to face.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thanks. I hate how the managers aren’t visible at the WDW resorts. It sends a message they aren’t interested in customer service. I shouldnt have to demand to see a manager face to face. I have asked over the years and often the frontline CM goes to the back and “talks” to the manager and he/she never comes out unless you basically demand to see them face to face.

THROUGHPUT is the goal not customer service

larandtra

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a GEM?

Also, I know the park managers wear Street drrsss clothes, but who are the employees that wear the khaki pants with the orange and white striped short sleeve shirts at MK? Are they managers of some sort as well?

Are you expecting that Kalogridis will be out when it’s all said and done or is he on board with this new push? I’m assuming he’s on board since he’s in charge unless this is coming from Burbank. I know you said that the person who is making the push has the clout? I’m assuming someone in the WDW E-Suite? Or am I way off base?

This isnt coming from Cali. This is internal to WDW upper management ( E Level as you said). One primary voice with clout and the support of a couple of the most important and influential people on the property in upper positions. This has been brewing for quite a while from what I can tell is now swinging into motion. The tone of the interactions I have had with various people who negotiate deals and sign agreements with vendors has changed drastically in the past 6 months. And in a good way. They all seem to have a bit of a spring in their step, which is far different from the tone the prior 2 years of working with them. The name I keep hearing I am hearing from different people, but, it is the same name. And the names of those in full support of the movement are not people the top level takes lightly. Sorry, thats as much as I can say. I feel very bad for people being laid off who are caught up in the sweeping change but whom do their jobs. It sucks for sure. But, I also understand that this has to be done to fix the inherent issues in management and the way things are set up from an organizational standpoint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom