Lawsuit over Epcot concept allowed to go forward

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Lawsuit over Epcot concept allowed to go forward
By Mike Branom

April 18, 2003

ORLANDO (AP) -- A federal judge allowed a lawsuit to continue against Walt Disney Co. for allegedly stealing the idea for Epcot Center from an artist's painting of a theme park featuring the world's nations.

The lawsuit charged the theme-park giant with multiple counts for violation of federal intellectual property rights and misappropriation of trade secrets.

In an April 10 order, Judge Patricia J. Fawsett rejected Disney's defense that the statute of limitations barred the lawsuit.

The artist, Mark Waters II, died in 1997, and his sole heir is the lawsuit's plaintiff.

Waters' 1961 painting for Miniature World, based on a U.S. Air Force officer's concept, bears a striking resemblance to Disney's Epcot, which opened in 1982. Both parks have hourglass shapes, large spheres at their entrances and a lake surrounded by pavilions evoking different countries.

According to the lawsuit, Lt. Col. Robert M. Jaffray met Waters while stationed in Hawaii. Jaffray took the painting to Disney officials in 1963, but the company turned down his pitch.

In 1979, however, Disney unveiled its plans for Epcot — and they looked much like Waters' painting.

"The judge has simply given them an opportunity to prove they have a case," said Disney spokeswoman Marilyn Waters, who isn't related to the artist. "When the facts come out, it will be clear they do not."

Jaffray, who died in Wooster, Ohio, in 2000, went to his grave claiming credit for Epcot.

Disney has maintained that the World Showcase section of Epcot, which features pavilions displaying cultural exhibits from 11 countries, was inspired by World's Fairs. Also, Epcot has a section devoted to futuristic technology that wasn't part of Miniature World's plans.

wizard12

Interesting. I hope it doesn't take too much money from Disney. I wonder what they are going to do. What time did this come out? I mean Epcot came out a long time ago.

Katherine

I hope Disney wins. THis could really put them into more debt if they don't. And again I have to ask why didn't he come forward 20 years ago?

SirNim

I'm so sick of this story.

The lawsuit is plain old BS.

And there are a load of circumstances surrounding it... e.g. why this wasn't filed when Epcot opened.

ugh.

prberk

I don't understand why there is not a statute of limitations for this.

One good thing is that, since the law suit will be confined to Florida, there is a much greater chance that a jury will "understand" EPCOT. That would work against it in California.

Of course a jury in Florida may also include people who resent the way Disney and his promised EPCOT (that evolved into something completely different from what was proposed in 1966) completely revolutionized their state, bringing both prosperity AND problems (congestion/crime/etc.).

Sigh.

stingrock23

I'm sick of this too. Epcot has been around for 20 years, and this is just coming out??

Just doesn't seem right.

Just another example of someone trying to take advantage of this country's fallable legal sytem. I hope this gets squashed soon.

And I hope Disney doesn't back down and settle. This is just plain ridiculous.

Glasgow

Hey, try to keep an open mind. If this guy really did come up with the concept and Disney stole it, then he should get his due. We all know Disney has "borrowed" ideas from others, and have been caught in the act. It's not totally out of the question that Epcot was "borrowed" as well. I love Disney, but I know that if I spent a lot of hard work on a project, and someone else was profitting from it, then I'd be pretty upset.
At least give the courts a chance to decide and let the evidence be presented. No harm in that

My 2 cents

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Whoa!

I think I want to do my 10 page thesis paper for Media Ethics on this topic. It's due May 2nd, so can you guys tell me as much as possible? I know you're tired of it, but I'd love to make my final paper Disney related. :D

Have a wonderful day!!

MicBat

I'm going to a nursing home and giving an old guy in a bed a painting of an african saharra, taking a picture, and suing disney for stealing my great grandfather's idea for DAK... But that's not it! I'm going to an old woman in a nursing home, giving her a picture of the chinese theater (from CA), taking a picture of her, and suing disney for stealing my great grandmother's idea for MGM. :rolleyes:
In all actuality... I'm not totally ruling Disney out on this one, but why in the hell did these people wait so damn long??? Why did they have to wait until the man died to go through with the suit?? And taking media classes, it's obvious to me why they took a picture of him in the bed with the painting... it's supposed to symbolize that the man is weak and powerless... aahh well... that's enough from me!

maelstrom

Ehh, I think this is kind of silly. EPCOT was like Walt's baby, he was so thrilled with it. I don't think he could have outwardly copied this from someone else. EPCOT has been open for like, 20 years. So why this now? I think some people are just out to get money. >_<

MicBat

Originally posted by maelstrom
Ehh, I think this is kind of silly. EPCOT was like Walt's baby, he was so thrilled with it. I don't think he could have outwardly copied this from someone else. EPCOT has been open for like, 20 years. So why this now? I think some people are just out to get money. >_<
Walt's vision of Epcot was completely different than what was built. Walt's version was to be a utopian community. Epcot Center was supposedly what was stolen.

I think this lawsuit is stupid on so many levels. For one, once again, why wait. It just doesn't make sense. Why didn't the old man soon when he was alive? Thats all I want to know. But I hope people realize that this is a pointless and FRIVALOUS suit.

maelstrom

Originally posted by MicBat
Walt's vision of Epcot was completely different than what was built. Walt's version was to be a utopian community. Epcot Center was supposedly what was stolen.

Ahh, gotcha. :hammer:

CTXRover

I am eager to hear more facts about this case. Right now, the only thing they got was an opportunity to show if they even have a case, there has been no ruling on the actual info present. (From what I understand).

Also, from the info leaked to the media, etc., I think it will be extremely hard for them to show their idea was stolen. Heck, as a kid I drew a tree with animals around it. Dang, they stole my idea for the Tree of Life :lol: Ok, bad analogy, I respect this guy's drawing and vision, but they appear not to have any hard evidence that the alledged meeting that occured in the 60s even happened. Maybe they do and we haven't heard it yet. I will just wait to see this thing unfold, but I think it will go in Disney's favor.

(If anyone has any additional info on this case, please let us know. Thanks. :) )

BigNorm

Even if there were a case for the plaintiff, wouldn't the Statute of Limitations have run out by now for their case, or do civil cases like this have no SOL?

Mary Ellen

I see from the article posted here the the Judge is letting the lawsuit continue, that it does not fall under the Statue of Limitations. When was the lawsuit originally filed? Also, there may have been communications between the parties attorneys prior to the lawsuit going to the Judicial system. Maybe a settlement could not be reached and that is why the case is now in Court. I doubt this case is actually "new".

It has been my experience in such matters, I've worked in law offices for about 20 years, that it only makes it to Court when the parties cannot reach a settlement. It is usually the last resort.

Mary Ellen

Sorry, should have included this in my previous post.

If they did steal his idea, and we do not know the evidence in this case, but if Disney did steal it, that is just wrong.

Please don't think I am say they did, I don't know and neither does anyone here, but IF they did, they should be held accountable.

ACE

Originally posted by Mary Ellen
Sorry, should have included this in my previous post.

If they did steal his idea, and we do not know the evidence in this case, but if Disney did steal it, that is just wrong.

Please don't think I am say they did, I don't know and neither does anyone here, but IF they did, they should be held accountable.

Been there, said that. Here come the fireworks!:lol:

:wave: ACE

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom