Lawsuit over Epcot concept allowed to go forward

Sir Hiss527

Why didn't people sue Disney, when Epcot opened in 1982? Then they would have won for sure. I hope Disney wins!

-Sir Hiss527-

"Stop Hissing in my Ear":king:

no2apprentice

If I remember correctly from previous threads about this topic, Mr. Waters did not have the finances to hire an attorney to pursue any civil action while he was alive. I guess there weren't any attorneys at the time to go up against Disney without some money up front.

But, now there are some attorneys who are willing to take on Disney without money up front, getting a contract with the plaintiff for probably 30% to 40% of whatever settlement or awards the plaintiff receives.

As far as evidence, if the family has some type of documentation that can substantiate that Waters did meet with Disney representatives to show his concept, that can certainly add some weight to the plaintiff's case. Disney will probably deny that Water's ever met with Disney staff and point at the design of several world's fairs layouts to show that Water's design was not unique.

This should be interesting to see how this particular case unfolds.

LivinLarge

Originally posted by no2apprentice
If I remember correctly from previous threads about this topic, Mr. Waters did not have the finances to hire an attorney to pursue any civil action while he was alive. I guess there weren't any attorneys at the time to go up against Disney without some money up front.

And it took 20 years to do so? Uh huh...1st, if I were the family, AND if Disney took the idea, I'd be glad they took it! Wouldn't you'd love if your dream came alive? 2nd, Disney shoud sue the family for wasting their time.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by MicBat
Does anyone have the picture of the guy with the painting??

Here's a look at the painting and the original Epcot concept work.

http://www.post-gazette.com/magazine/20000702EpcotInfo9.asp

The whole "globe" thing is just so wrong. The Waters concept is a globe of the earth, Disney is not the same at all. The two are not even really laid out like each other. Other things like planting indigenous trees, well ok, are they tring to copywrite the idea to theme stuff properly. Why don't the sue all the other theme parks that have themed countries in them. Some of this stuff is pure crap in my opinion. The fact is if the "globe" wasn't there, there would be little to compair to. The layouts are not that similar at all. And if you here how the family an lawer tell it, they make it sound like Water/Jaffray were the best WDI Disney never hired.

I've heard/read about this thing for a few years now The link above is from July 2000. I think the reason it never came to "trial" before cos' their was no case. But now that Disney settle about the Wide World of Sports concept, a president was set that Disney may have taken ideas from others. Now the lawers are think they could win, or at least presure Disney into settling to make it go away. The WWofS guys orriginally sued for $240 million. It's all about the children of the these people looking for the all American dream...sue a big company and get rich! :D

Glasgow

Ha ha .. ahh, how nieve some people can be. If the lawsuit turns out to be frivolous and unjust then the courts will rule in Disney's direction. There's no harm in finding that out within the court of law.
I've been to Disney over 15 times .. I love that place. But don't be too quick to place your trust and support. They are a business that exists to make money (and provide magic, granted).

All I am saying is try to keep an open mind.

MicBat

Originally posted by room1313@TTZTOT
so im taking it know one saw seoul land? Look at some of the name and rides....its ridiculus(?)
No no no... They're not completely alike....they've got Space Ship Earth while WDW has Spaceship Earth... :rolleyes: Some of the other names, on the other hand...

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom