Laundry in Disney??

Disneykidder

Original Poster
I have always been a believer that on vacation no person should have to do chores of home...least of all laundry. Well, given that I will be away on my upcoming trip for 9 days, I will do laundry midweek to avoid packing too much. Plus we will be picking up our own luggage on our way to DME due to a late flight and we will want our essentials.

Well, my question is about the laundry facilities at ASMu. Do they sell detergent and if so how much? I have heard about these drop in pouches that I can bring from home that can be just tossed in but my local Walmart does not carry it. Does anyone know where I can get those if they even exist? Can I make a wash and go swimming or do I need to be in the laundry room waiting? How long does it take? Is it a quicker cycle to wash/dry or just like at home? I have never done this because I didn't want to waste valuable time doing laundry.

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I simply fill two small bottles you would buy to transport shampoo from Target and put my preferred detergent in....marking with a permanent marker...think they are 3 oz bottles. When we have gone for 9 days we too found it easier to do it when necessary one time during the trip.:king:

Burning Metal

We went to Disney and stayed at Caribbean Beach a couple years ago. I know they use to (not sure if they still do) have a laundry room right next to the "quiet pool" (not the main themed pool) We threw our wash in and swam in the pool while it was washing and drying. They were coin operated machines just like the ones at a regular laundromat. They also had a vending machine for laundry soap and such....not sure what it's like at the other resorts though...

Tink313

Last year the price was 2 dollars,and the cycle for a load was about 20 mins. Now if I remember right the dyer is kinda long but Maybe I just wanted to get out of there and head to the parks.:lol:

kjd469

We have stayed at ASMu many times and I always do laundry while there. There is a laundry room right beside the main pool...not sure about any others. I put my laundry in and you can swim, etc. You have about 40 minutes for a wash or dry, even though they post a 30 minute time...some of the machines do vary. I just take individual zip-loc sandwhich bags, which I pre-measure one load of soap into. I then bring my dryer sheets and pack it all into a larger zip-loc bag...very easy, and you don't have to worry about anything leaking. If you buy soap there it is $1.00 per box which does only 1 load...so it's much better to bring from home. There is a change machine for quarters for the machines. Although none of us like doing laundry on vacation...it isn't too bad if you plan ahead. Have fun.

J_Krafty24

I have heard about these drop in pouches that I can bring from home that can be just tossed in but my local Walmart does not carry it. Does anyone know where I can get those if they even exist?

I know they at least used to exist. I had some that were like dry detergent compressed into small bricks. The problem with them was that unless you washed your laundry in warm or hot water they did not dissolve all the way and left gooey detergent chunks on the clothes that were in the bottom of the machine. If you do find them make sure to test them out at home first.

Something you could try is to surf the internet to every laundry detergent website you can think of. You may be able to score some free samples to get you thru your trip.

tigsmom

laundry is expensive so make sure you have enough change. :lol: Soap and dryer sheets are expensive too. We pick up small sample size packages at Walmart/Target/whatever store you like and bring them with us.

DisneyGigi

We washed clothes twice while we were there. Once in the middle of the trip and once again at the end because we were headed to the beach. I also hate to bring home dirty laundry. We parked by the pool late at night or went in the arcade while the kids were playing and came back in to put them in the dryer/check on them.
Like the previous poster said, the detergent is expensive (in the little boxes) I bring my own (small bottle) and also bring my own dryer sheets. I just pop a few in a ziploc bag.

wdwsog

two things...
they sell sheets that contain detergent and fabric softener on the same sheet it goes from the washer to the dryer with the clothes.

at Pop i had to search for a clean dryer. We went in OCT and many people were using them to dry their shoes. Not only did it make it very noisy in there, but you clothes would come out of the dryer dirty.

Disneykidder

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas/help everyone.

I will def. take my own detergent from home...either a refillable travel bottle or from getting free samples.:)

I just think it will save 4 people 4 extra outfits each, thus not packing all that much.

Glad to see the cycles are not that long, either. We usually swim at night for about 45 minutes before bed so that should do it!!

I will also check the driers before I put my clothes in...ewww. Sorry to hear of the dirty ones in Pop. Shoes do dry pretty quickly if you leave them in the tub in your room. (where the air conditioning doesn't hit it)

I love this web site....thanks again!!:wave:

fauna

The single laundry detergent "pouches" are called Laundry Dropps. I got some on clearance at my Target 3-4 months ago. I used them on our beach vacation, worked great. I liked them because they are scent and dye free. I'm sure you can find them online somewhere.

I'll be bringing some with me on our Dec. trip. I know I'll have to do some laundry because whatever my kids eat end up on their clothes. :brick: (Honestly, you're 11 now - can try to eat a little neater?)

coltow

Most stores sell detergent in thier trial size section. I work at CVS and we carry both ALL and TIDE small containers. I think you get 2 loads out of each container. I also found at Target a little thing of TIDE that is in a pouch that says it's for quick washes in the sink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom