Latest resort stay survey questions

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don't have a dog and live alone........
tumblr_opyvrxJ7Hu1uqyagpo4_1280.gif

MuteSuperstar

...in which a large portion of guests are international and/or not native English speakers.

Exactly. I work in healthcare IT and the clinical userbase is probably like 60% non-native English speakers now and we are a long long long way from them not needing help from actual human beings pretty much every step of the way (this is true of a huge number of native English speakers too, make no mistake). Of course, if corporations could actually be bothered to train their employees anymore.....hahaha who am I kidding. I am not exaggerating when I say at least 75% of these folks don't even know what the shift key is for. They all use caps lock just to capitalize one letter.

Not even considering shoplifting concerns, companies are VASTLY overestimating people's ability to use technology without a whole lot of help. A huge percentage of people have absolutely no idea what they are doing for even relatively simple tasks. So self-checkout, at packed stores at WDW? Sure they can reduce their CMs some, but they will still need someone stationed nearby for every single one as some sort of problem or clueless user issue comes up every 5 minutes or less. I just find it comical that the tech evangelists actually believe we will arrive at some point where technology won't be the usual half-baked beta test that needs 24/7 babysitting. Maybe in another 100 years if anything is still here.

Last edited:

winstongator

You have never used self checkout? It has many built in protections against theft. Cameras, scales and some very smart programming. Self checkout is what we will be doing in 5 years. The age of the "cashier" is done.
The other way to do it is to put rf-id tags on/in everything. They don't get de-activated until they're scanned.

TeriofTerror

What are they “locating”??

Merch has sucked for almost 20 years...there are 115 shops with the exact same thing.

Not only that...but they are encouraging people to buy directly from an app anyway...eliminating more logistics and overhead.
I do not agree. Memento Mori was a great addition, and I'd love to see more shopping experiences like it.

Missing20K

Sounds like this reinforces some of the stuff Jim Hill and @lentesta were talking about Disney considering automated personal assistants on the new cruise ships and in hotel rooms.
"Mickey, make me a reservation for dinner tonight at Boma"
"Haha, sorry tonight's all booked, would you like to try another restaurant?"
"Mickey, make me a reservation for dinner tonight at Crystal Palace"
"Mickey, make me a reservation for dinner tonight at Victoria and Albert's"
"Mickey, shut up"

Ninja Mom

Regarding the integration of technology in additional Disney vacation aspects, a large part of the problem is that the guest has to spend so much time learning the the user interface system.

Think about all the different credit card readers that you see at various merchants. Some require you to swipe your card, others require you to insert your card. These access points can be anywhere depending upon the manufacturer of the machine. This slows thing down and leads to frustration.

Disney already has a tradition of requiring the guest to jump through all of their system hoops. Think about all the conniptions that you go through to make fastpass reservations on a system that is frequently malfunctioning.

Even at the existing levels of complexity, Disney is failing to get their system to work properly. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for the guest when Disney adds layer upon layer of complexity in an effort to reduce labor pool?

Management is blind to the fact that they long ago exceeded their capacity to execute their technology on a functional level that doesn't negatively impact the guest experience. I think at this point it's safe to say that Disney truly doesn't care about the guest experience anymore.

If this is the direction that Disney is planning on going, and we know that sometimes these surveys can be harbingers of the future, this will be yet another huge fail on the part of Disney management.

The target demographic of a Disney guest is in no way either prepared to, or interested in, engaging in this level of technology to take their kids on a vacation. Again, this is technology that makes the guests do more of the work and work is not something that someone wants to do when they have their family on vacation, especially at Disney.

Disney is constantly pushing the line to the edge in negatively impacting guest experience in the pursuit of profits above all else. I'm wondering exactly where the breaking point will be for more and more guests who will come to realize that what they were sold did not in any way shape or form meet their expectations.

In this day and age of social media, backlash and negative publicity are easily acquired and difficult to overcome once they have taken root with your customers. It's clear that Disney management is only thinking about profits. It's only a matter of time until strategies like the ones were seeing from management completely derail the Disney train that we've come to know and love.

~NM

tissandtully

That is unlikely due to theft concerns
Apple stores have had self-checkout for a long time, but only on certain items, it's worked fine and they don't even have a dedicated camera system for it. I've seen Apple stores more densely packed than any Disney gift shop. I'm assuming self-checkout would be app-based just like Apple does.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Not to mention the nuances in ticket buying they've implemented. I truly believe they are looking/wanting to get guests locked into picking which park they will visit on each day of their vacation, so they can more "finely-tune" their staffing levels. If you want to park hop, well, that's going to cost you. A lot.

It wouldn't shock me at all if there was some conference room conversations around getting guests to commit to riding each ride/attraction they want on any given day at a specific time. The ultimate in park planning, everything literally planned down to the minute. I hope that never ever comes to fruition, for obvious reasons.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Apple stores have had self-checkout for a long time, but only on certain items, it's worked fine and they don't even have a dedicated camera system for it. I've seen Apple stores more densely packed than any Disney gift shop. I'm assuming self-checkout would be app-based just like Apple does.

That probably depends on where the Apple store is....

I have 3 within 5 Miles and none have self checkouts

Kamikaze

That probably depends on where the Apple store is....

I have 3 within 5 Miles and none have self checkouts

They all do. You check out using the Apple Store app on your phone. No register, no interaction with anything except your phone.

That said, your original sentiment is probably correct. There is lot of stuff a lot easier to steal in a Disney gift shop than at an Apple Store, so self/app checkout is unlikely.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They all do. You check out using the Apple Store app on your phone. No register, no interaction with anything except your phone.

That said, your original sentiment is probably correct. There is lot of stuff a lot easier to steal in a Disney gift shop than at an Apple Store, so self/app checkout is unlikely.

I see...however using Apple pay on an app is a bit different than a gift shop transaction.

Anyone know what happens if you casually walk out with AirPods WITHOUT using the app?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom