Last minute Questions!!!

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Original Poster
Headin off on mediterranean cruise saturday and have a few last minute questions;

1: Is the tipping at the end of the cruise done in cash? And if so is any currency ok??

2: We have used to option to charge to the room upto $700 at which point it must be cleared, is this done with cash or by credit card?

3: Are dollars actually needed in any way on the mediterranean cruise or just euros for each of the ports?

4: How long Does the boarding process usually take if online check in has been completed?

5: As we are using disney transportation, what time do we board? As i did not have to choose a time unlike people making their own way to the port!

6: What is available to purchase in the duty free shop?

7: What and how many courses are included in the Palo charge??

Thanks in Advance :wave::wave::wave:

ChuckElias

Headin off on mediterranean cruise saturday and have a few last minute questions;
I'm sailing on the Wonder to Alaska, and I'm SO FREAKIN' JEALOUS of you guys. You are going to have an AMAZING time.

1: Is the tipping at the end of the cruise done in cash? And if so is any currency ok??
Tips are generally charged to your stateroom account to make it easier, and so that you don't have to carry so much cash with you. You can use cash if you like, but we've never done that. As far as what type of currency, as far as I know, everything on board is charged in US Dollars. I may be wrong, but Guest Services will certainly be able to tell you before the end of the cruise. If you charge it to your room, it will probably be charged in US Dollars and then your credit card company will charge you an exchange fee.

2: We have used to option to charge to the room upto $700 at which point it must be cleared, is this done with cash or by credit card?
Either one, but again, it's usually done by credit card. They just charge your card every time you get to a set "limit" on your stateroom account.

3: Are dollars actually needed in any way on the mediterranean cruise or just euros for each of the ports?
We didn't use dollars at all. We had Euros, but many places said that they would accept dollars as well.

4: How long Does the boarding process usually take if online check in has been completed?
Ours was very quick. I don't know if that's normal, tho. We sat on the bus a long time before leaving the hotel, to make sure we had everybody who was supposed to be there. But once we got to the terminal, we pretty much walked through and boarded in about 20 minutes.

5: As we are using disney transportation, what time do we board? As i did not have to choose a time unlike people making their own way to the port!
Can't help you there, sorry. Are you staying overnight at a hotel before the cruise? If so, we had to sign up for a departure time for a designated bus. If you do it the same way, then your boarding time will just depend on which bus you get on.

If you fly in on the day of the cruise and take a bus from the airport, then again, your boarding time will just depend on when the bus gets you to the ship.

I think. :)

6: What is available to purchase in the duty free shop?
I don't think the shops on board the Magic are duty free, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

7: What and how many courses are included in the Palo charge??
Oh man. Palo is awesome. Soup, salad, appetizer, individual pizzas, main course, dessert (including the amazing chocolate souffle). If they have the monkfish, I highly recommend it. The calamari is also fantastic.

Soft drinks are also included, of course, but not alcohol. Enjoy!!!

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
I'm sailing on the Wonder to Alaska, and I'm SO FREAKIN' JEALOUS of you guys. You are going to have an AMAZING time.

Great To know! Im sure the Alaskan cruise is goin to be out of this world!!!:wave:

Tips are generally charged to your stateroom account to make it easier, and so that you don't have to carry so much cash with you. You can use cash if you like, but we've never done that. As far as what type of currency, as far as I know, everything on board is charged in US Dollars. I may be wrong, but Guest Services will certainly be able to tell you before the end of the cruise. If you charge it to your room, it will probably be charged in US Dollars and then your credit card company will charge you an exchange fee.

How does it work if charged to your room? I thoght you got an envolope to put the tip in??

Either one, but again, it's usually done by credit card. They just charge your card every time you get to a set "limit" on your stateroom account.

We didn't use dollars at all. We had Euros, but many places said that they would accept dollars as well.

Ours was very quick. I don't know if that's normal, tho. We sat on the bus a long time before leaving the hotel, to make sure we had everybody who was supposed to be there. But once we got to the terminal, we pretty much walked through and boarded in about 20 minutes.

Can't help you there, sorry. Are you staying overnight at a hotel before the cruise? If so, we had to sign up for a departure time for a designated bus. If you do it the same way, then your boarding time will just depend on which bus you get on.

We are going straight from the airport so fingers crossed :)

If you fly in on the day of the cruise and take a bus from the airport, then again, your boarding time will just depend on when the bus gets you to the ship.

I think. :)

Hope you are right!!!

I don't think the shops on board the Magic are duty free, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I thought there would be one, oh well!!

Oh man. Palo is awesome. Soup, salad, appetizer, individual pizzas, main course, dessert (including the amazing chocolate souffle). If they have the monkfish, I highly recommend it. The calamari is also fantastic.

All those courses are included??? :eek::sohappy:

Soft drinks are also included, of course, but not alcohol. Enjoy!!!

Oh we will and enjoy yours too!!

ChuckElias

How does it work if charged to your room? I thoght you got an envolope to put the tip in??
Ok, here's the whole she-bang. On the last day of your cruise, your room steward will leave 4 envelopes in your room for tips. There is one envelope each for your Dining Room Head Server, your Server, your Assistant Server and your Room Steward. Additionally, you will get a "worksheet" with recommended tip amounts for each crew member.

If you want to, you can just put cash in each envelope and hand it to the person. If you choose to charge it to your room, you fill out worksheet and take it to the Guest Services desk. They will charge your tips to your stateroom and give you a small ticket to put in the envelope, showing the amount you have tipped that person. You will also get a receipt for each tip.

All those courses are included???
Yes. Just like in the dining rooms, all of your courses are included in the price of your cruise, the entire meal at Palo's is included in the $15 surcharge per person. (Is it $20 now? I can't remember.) PLUS. . . here's a little-known fact. Once you become a Platinum-level Castaway Club member, you get one meal at Palo with no surcharge.

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
Ok, here's the whole she-bang. On the last day of your cruise, your room steward will leave 4 envelopes in your room for tips. There is one envelope each for your Dining Room Head Server, your Server, your Assistant Server and your Room Steward. Additionally, you will get a "worksheet" with recommended tip amounts for each crew member.

If you want to, you can just put cash in each envelope and hand it to the person. If you choose to charge it to your room, you fill out worksheet and take it to the Guest Services desk. They will charge your tips to your stateroom and give you a small ticket to put in the envelope, showing the amount you have tipped that person. You will also get a receipt for each tip.

Yes. Just like in the dining rooms, all of your courses are included in the price of your cruise, the entire meal at Palo's is included in the $15 surcharge per person. (Is it $20 now? I can't remember.) PLUS. . . here's a little-known fact. Once you become a Platinum-level Castaway Club member, you get one meal at Palo with no surcharge.

Great stuff, think i get it now :wave:

Thanks v much for the info :wave::wave:

Phonedave

There is a duty free alcohol (and I think smoke) shop.

They will allow you to buy up to your importable limit, and will hold it for you until the end of your cruise. So no buying and then drinking on the ship. However DCL, unlike most other cruise lines, allows you to bring your own alcohol on board.

-dave

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
There is a duty free alcohol (and I think smoke) shop.

They will allow you to buy up to your importable limit, and will hold it for you until the end of your cruise. So no buying and then drinking on the ship. However DCL, unlike most other cruise lines, allows you to bring your own alcohol on board.

-dave

Great stuff!! Thanx Dave!!

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
Your welcome, just be forewarned, the prices are nothing spectaular. Nothing different than what you would get an the airport.

-dave

Oh no problem there! As theyl still be a damn sight cheaper than here in ireland :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom