Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
So you're saying what, they didn't do preventive maintenance at ESPN? Totally different divisions. ESPN is caught in long term contracts while the media field is rapidly changing. That has nothing to do with maintenance of a monorail car. Bringing it up is just absurd and doesn't excuse the wild and baseless accusations you make.

"He must be a murderer... just look how dirty his kitchen is!"
Seems like a perfect indicator to me. (Hurries off to clean kitchen) :cautious:

Scuttle

First you say out right they never do preventive maintenance.

And now you're proposing they purposely don't do the preventive maintenance since its cheaper to just pay the fines. Throwing the "if" in there doesn't excuse the whispering campaign.

You just don't know what you're talking about. You just want to trash Disney. If there ever was proof of a 'hater', here it is.
t
To cut safety? Yeah. A little far fetched. Increase ticket prices, preferred parking costs, make food sizes smaller and prices higher, increase room rates, etc....? Not as far fetched.
The airlines have been busted an abscene amount of times. United just got busted flying planes that weren't airworthy.

s8film40

I'm just being realistic. ESPN is falling by the wayside and they really don't know what to do about it. The stock has been stagnant ever since that was first learned about a year ago. Is that far fetched to see a huge public company cut certain sectors of safety maintenance at the parks to cover their a**?
I think people are having a hard time understanding this because they're only seeing the big picture. It's not like Bob Iger is sitting somewhere looking at numbers and deciding to slash maintenance budgets. Large companies are divided into different segments with multiple departments in each. These types of decisions don't exactly come from the top. Each manager reports to someone and each one above them reports to someone and so on. There's obviously pressure to do things to keep revenue up that pressure is there in most companies even in the best of times. That's the kind of thing that gets us to cabanas in the MK. Everyone is trying to do their part to make their department look good, either by saving money, being more productive or raising revenue. The guy who goes into a meeting and says everything is still exactly the same for my department doesn't usually last long. So it's not a stretch that somewhere along the way people make some creative changes that affect maintenance. In some cases it may not even be changes but rather inaction to things that should be addressed.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Oh, were we talking about United? Totally missed that random change of topic.
download (1).jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I find this very difficult to believe.

The sheer volume of people and reputation at Disney...and some of you are saying that their maintenance/safety procedures are Less than those procedures at amusement parks.

It doesn't make sense. The major amusement park chains are also publicly traded.. they don't cut corners in safety for profit margins, the very notion of it doesn't make sense. If you have a major incident due to lack of safety precautions- then profit margins won't mean anything..why? Because chances are good that not only will you face a major lawsuit, you will probably lose most of your customers anyway.

Disney is a corporation like any other, Their management is like most management teams where managers are promoted on the basis of connections and social intelligence rather than technical skill.

So if the manufacturer 'recommends' a part be changed every 2000 hours yet there is no LAW saying they must. They will look at the part and it LOOKS perfectly good so management will stretch the interval first to 2500 hours then 3000 then longer still. After all that 2000 hours is just a recommendation right?.

They are not evil just people who are making decisions on a financial basis because its the only thing they understand. And they don't trust the people who are paid to understand these things because they are geeks and nerds. The Animal House social hierarchy is very much alive at most American companies.

The ultimate expression of this kind of uninformed thinking was the Challenger Disaster where the shuttle was launched after a lenghty 'cold soak' so the O-rings were below the temperature they needed to be at to seal the SRB's. The engineers as a body said hell no we are below spec. Managers said get stuffed engineers this looks bad for NASA and we are go for launch. History records the result of that decision.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm just being realistic. ESPN is falling by the wayside and they really don't know what to do about it. The stock has been stagnant ever since that was first learned about a year ago. Is that far fetched to see a huge public company cut certain sectors of safety maintenance at the parks to cover their a**?

I don't hate on Disney. My main complaint is their maintenance, overall not just safety, has been atrocious this decade+.

They dont see the cuts in maintenance as compromising safety. The thought process is there is a overdesign safety factor in most parts which IS true so they can take advantage of that fact. The problem is that modern manufacturing allows you to build parts EXACTLY to specification with no overdesign tolerances and unless you routinely test parts you will not know this.

Wall st incessant drumbeat for GROWTH at all costs leads companies to do stupid and dangerous things.

We need to get back to the model where consistent profitability is rewarded not short term margin growth

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
t

The airlines have been busted an abscene amount of times. United just got busted flying planes that weren't airworthy.

Ah yes what's known in the industry as 'Paper Maintenance' where maintenance items like mandatory oil changes and actuator lubrication are signed off in the logbooks as being done but in reality skipped.

Manager 'nothing bad happens when i skip an oil change'....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think people are having a hard time understanding this because they're only seeing the big picture. It's not like Bob Iger is sitting somewhere looking at numbers and deciding to slash maintenance budgets. Large companies are divided into different segments with multiple departments in each. These types of decisions don't exactly come from the top. Each manager reports to someone and each one above them reports to someone and so on. There's obviously pressure to do things to keep revenue up that pressure is there in most companies even in the best of times. That's the kind of thing that gets us to cabanas in the MK. Everyone is trying to do their part to make their department look good, either by saving money, being more productive or raising revenue. The guy who goes into a meeting and says everything is still exactly the same for my department doesn't usually last long. So it's not a stretch that somewhere along the way people make some creative changes that affect maintenance. In some cases it may not even be changes but rather inaction to things that should be addressed.

^^^. THIS ^^^. Especially the last sentence.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ah yes what's known in the industry as 'Paper Maintenance' where maintenance items like mandatory oil changes and actuator lubrication are signed off in the logbooks as being done but in reality skipped.

Manager 'nothing bad happens when i skip an oil change'....

Still flying is the safest means of travel in the west because some FAA or EU inspector is going to grab an oil sample and look at it or have it analyzed and say oil needs to be changed you can do it now or i can make it 'official' yes there are companies like United who routinely hit the mattresses and lose...

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
So to all y'all saying that this part coming off one of the monorails shows lack of maintenance , Where is your concrete proof ?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So you're saying what, they didn't do preventive maintenance at ESPN? Totally different divisions. ESPN is caught in long term contracts while the media field is rapidly changing. That has nothing to do with maintenance of a monorail car. Bringing it up is just absurd and doesn't excuse the wild and baseless accusations you make.

"He must be a murderer... just look how dirty his kitchen is!"
I see his point -- ESPN is a drain on the company. As we learned from Shanghai, corporate has no qualms about pulling money out of the WDW cash machine to cover losses elsewhere.

21stamps

I see his point -- ESPN is a drain on the company. As we learned from Shanghai, corporate has no qualms about pulling money out of the WDW cash machine to cover losses elsewhere.

Oh no. Not you too.

Meeting-

"We need to increase profit margins."

Guy 1- "let's add a new dining package for x parade"

Guy 2- "let's raise ticket prices by $10"

Woman 1 "Let's have one less employee at each X kiosk"

Guy 3 "Let's cut safety procedures. Stop maintaining our attractions and monorail."

Woman 2 "let's raise the price of Mickey bars by 1 dollar"

Which one appears to be out of place?

Last edited:

21stamps

So to all y'all saying that this part coming off one of the monorails shows lack of maintenance , Where is your concrete proof ?

I think the fact that the same people who are claiming a lack of maintenance still visit Disney World..and put themselves and their families on something that they are saying is not maintained, is proof in itself that they don't actually believe it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom