Lady and the Tramp remake to launch with Disney Streaming Service

CJR

I gave this a shot. Disappointed a bit, but it's still better than most Netflix originals that I've seen. They were wise to keep this one out of the movie theaters.

I will give them a bit of praise in that it wasn't a shot for shot remake and they did make a few changes to the story, some of which were good changes, in my opinion.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Gave it a couple days after watching to see if my opinion changed, but no it did not change at all...literally one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Horrible acting and casting. Really bad cinematography, looks like cheap sets with the worst possible camera angles. Can’t see what’s going on in nighttime scenes. Narrative was slow and boring followed by more slow and boring. Instead of Tramp being a symbol of economic struggle aka part of the working class, he’s now a dude that just wants to be free from commitment.

But really, it is the atrocious acting that does it. The voices simply don’t go with the dogs and their personalities. Every time the human actors spoke, I cringed bc it’s so bad. The songs sucked. I know it went straight to Disney+ so it’s the equivalent of made for TV, but y’all, Disney and the producers should be embarrassed.

Tanna Eros

Welp, as if the excising of the Siamese Cat Song wasn't insipidly woke enough, turns out that Jock, the Scottish Terrier, has been transitioned into a girl!

Yep, seems the fact that the original film had two outstanding female characters (Lady and Peg) wasn't woke enough. A great wrong had to be righted and now Jock is a Jackie. Or something:

View attachment 396879

Gawd. Or maybe he's a cross-dresser?
As a Scottie owner who, incidentally has painted portraits her Scotties many times over, I'm biased towards this character, no matter the gender. Plus, my dog's name is Jackie, to add more to my bias.
My dog loved this movie, btw.

Magenta Panther

As a Scottie owner who, incidentally has painted portraits her Scotties many times over, I'm biased towards this character, no matter the gender. Plus, my dog's name is Jackie, to add more to my bias.
My dog loved this movie, btw.

I've been a fan of the Scottie breed ever since one of President Bush's bit a reporter. :D But seriously, it's a shame that the PC pandering didn't bother you. If enough people just shrug off the agenda-driven excesses of the Robert Iger Company, we'll likely get more of the same. :(

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I gave this a shot. Disappointed a bit, but it's still better than most Netflix originals that I've seen. They were wise to keep this one out of the movie theaters.

I will give them a bit of praise in that it wasn't a shot for shot remake and they did make a few changes to the story, some of which were good changes, in my opinion.

Just curious: do you approve of the removal of the Siamese Cat Song because it was so racist towards, um, the Siamese people, or something? (Really, considering Siamese cats' markings, I'm surprised the epithet "blackface!" wasn't used to justify the change). Well, to each his/her own.

CJR

Just curious: do you approve of the removal of the Siamese Cat Song because it was so racist towards, um, the Siamese people, or something?

I made no mention of the Siamese Cat Song. I was disappointed by its removal. There were other changes too. I liked that it wasn't a shot for shot remake.

Last edited:

carolina_yankee

Just curious: do you approve of the removal of the Siamese Cat Song because it was so racist towards, um, the Siamese people, or something? (Really, considering Siamese cats' markings, I'm surprised the epithet "blackface!" wasn't used to justify the change). Well, to each his/her own.

Well, they were lynx points instead of seal points this go round. :)

I don't care about gender switching or race-blind casting that others have complained about. I'm also an opera fan, where race-blind casting has been around since the 1950s (controversial then but became common) and it's not at all unusual on Broadway. I will admit to have low expectations of the human actors and I suspect other human-centered live remakes have been much better done. Now that I have Disney+, I'll find out.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it for a nice Sunday afternoon movie and I did miss the Siamese cat song as a lifelong servant of the Siamese. Just a couple of tweaks, and they could have erased any objections. Anybody can tell you the song is quite accurate re: Siamese (cats)!

The replacement song didn't seem to fit the tone of the movie. That's the major criticism I'll throw at it.

Dirk

sixbagelboy

After reading all of your comments about the changes in the movie, it got me wondering...I am Italian, should I be offended by the stereo-typing of Tony? Just curious.

Tanna Eros

I've been a fan of the Scottie breed ever since one of President Bush's bit a reporter. :D But seriously, it's a shame that the PC pandering didn't bother you. If enough people just shrug off the agenda-driven excesses of the Robert Iger Company, we'll likely get more of the same. :(
I'm aware of it, I'm not shrugging it off. I'm paying for a streaming service, not going to the local cinema. I don't go to the cinema to watch films in which I object to the story being sabotaged by agenda. I originally signed up to Disney+ to watch the older shows, like "Spin and Marty" and the Dexter movies, and now, The Mandalorian. If I watch anything else, that's up to me and my seven bucks.
I don't even know why I should be accountable to a stranger for what I view on a streaming service I pay for.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

After reading all of your comments about the changes in the movie, it got me wondering...I am Italian, should I be offended by the stereo-typing of Tony? Just curious.

Frankly, I wondered why Tony's and Joe's nationality weren't changed too. Not to mention their sex. They are definitely caricatures in the original film. Not offensive ones, of course, to anybody with sense...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom