Labor cost cutting measures begin at Walt Disney World as the company enters Q1

Lilofan

This is hard to watch. If you're supposed to be the best, then why are you trying to be second-best?

Sadly that's exactly what's going on here. I think he's trying to convince himself.
Chapek and CFO Christine will need to continue to impress the shareholders and Wall Street in the upcoming 11/10 public conference call with the Wall Street folks covering the Disney company stock . In earnings / Aug 2021 Disney reported earnings of $.80 per share for the quarter topping Wall Street analysts estimate of $.57 per share and $17B for the quarter compared to Street estimate of $16.82B.

Lilofan

Not exactly the gold standard for measuring one’s contributions these days. A window used to mean something, now it’s simply a vanity statement for clueless park execs.
So in other words the current cast recognizing their fellow cast are clueless too, got it.. Don't agree.

pdude81

Chapek and CFO Christine will need to continue to impress the shareholders and Wall Street in the upcoming 11/10 public conference call with the Wall Street folks covering the Disney company stock . In earnings / Aug 2021 Disney reported earnings of $.80 per share for the quarter topping Wall Street analysts estimate of $.57 per share and $17B for the quarter compared to Street estimate of $16.82B.
This fiscal year should be a gimme though compared to the prior year. They won't just be analyzing the quarter. The pandemic forces growth in certain segments compared to when everything was shut down.

new years eve drake GIF

pdude81

Not exactly the gold standard for measuring one’s contributions these days. A window used to mean something, now it’s simply a vanity statement for clueless park execs.
Sorry guys, budget cuts. Your retirement package now consists of vinyl lettering on Main Street. If you wish to defer your retirement package, we can arrange for a fathead of you to be placed on the walls of the unused Cranium Command space in the Play! Pavilion.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
These companies like to pretend that a revolving door of "expendable labor" keeps costs down, but the reality is that it's cheaper to give pay raises to good employees and keep morale up than it is to train new hires, which generally costs between $12-20,000, depending on the position. Not to mention that happy employees are more productive employees because they actually care about their jobs.
I'm guessing Disney's new hire training is closer to the $12 figure...

Nubs70

I’m well aware. They also hire from outside and promote people from within with no park experience.
If your choices are inside or outside both with no park experience, best to hire from outside, up to a certain level of hierarchy. The outside person doesn't come with all the entrained internal Disney baggage that needs to be undone.

ImperfectPixie

If your choices are inside or outside both with no park experience, best to hire from outside, up to a certain level of hierarchy. The outside person doesn't come with all the entrained internal Disney baggage that needs to be undone.
Then they need to look at what that baggage is and were it comes from. It's always better to promote from within...if that's not something the company wants to do, then they need to take a serious look at why.

Heppenheimer

Just want to leave this gem here.

Now I finally recognize why Chapeck's very appearance gives me the chills.

I wouldn't expect anyone on here to have seen it (maybe some of our British contributors?), but back in 2014, a jointly produced Danish-German historical drama about the 2nd Schleswig-Holstein War called 1864 was broadcast. One minor character was a particularly ruthless Prussian hussar who attempts to execute several captured Danish soldiers, before meeting his end when one of the Danes escapes and fights back. This is the only image or clip I can find, but he's the hussar with the scarred face who gets stabbed in the gut at about the 30 second mark. Warning if you'd rather not watch a rather violent and bloody war scene:

Not seen here, but the character also has a bald head.

The uneven skin tones, the bald head and the evil look in the eyes... maybe not an exact match, but the same general appearance as Mr. Chapeck.

EDIT: I'm not sure why the video says "Unavailable", it will play if you open it on Youtube.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

The days of the George Kalogridis bus boy to President rise to the top are long gone.
I doubt those days are gone. Such a rise is simply a necessarily exceptional story. To begin with, there are very few positions at the top of the hierarchy, and chances are low that someone will have started at the bottom, stayed with the company for such a long time, and demonstrated the ambition and aptitude necessary to move beyond maxing out at manager or director of their focus area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom