Labor cost cutting measures begin at Walt Disney World as the company enters Q1

lewisc

Are you messing with me? Or did the 5 1/2 baseball game I just watched cause me to drink too much? šŸ¤”
What I read at the time..some business bookings require a TS restaurant. Some rating services require a TS restaurant for a (I think) a 3 * rating. Combining the resorts on paper, smoke and mirrors, solved it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Youā€™re still typing coherently, that may rule out your ā€œtoo muchā€ theory.

Excuse enough to have another, if you ask me.
1633924407515.gif

Lilofan

Well that's not even remotely close to being true.

Stock price = snapshot of what investors currently believe about a business. It has no real bearing on how successful a business actually is.
Obviously there's an extreme example like Enron where investors have been misled through fraud, but there are also companies like Uber that have high stock prices based on speculation but the actual business is hemorrhaging tremendous amounts of money every year.

I suppose you can be redundant and just claim a high stock price is the point of a business and therefore a high stock price means success, although I think that's overly simplistic at best.
"Remotely close to being true " regarding stock price / successful company is actually just wishful thinking on your part. Yes there are some that don't fit the bill. Amazon stock price was flat line for years until it became king of their industry = stock price/successful company and that's just one example. " No real bearing " on how successful a business like Amazon really is? C'mon Tar Heel... Go Duke!

Last edited:

Lilofan

What are you even talking about? Europe might be more expensive but tipping is actually a bonus vs a requirement. Also since most places in europe haven't crapped on workers for decades they don't have as drastic ground to make up on pay that they would need to bump prices that much.

Disney is already the leader is prices. What would they be afraid of apart from execs making slightly less? I would reiterate it was substantially cheaper even with food to visit disney paris vs the US disney parks in 2019. Cedar point did not greatly increase prices after the raises and they are in the US and substantially cheaper. Also labor is often a smaller percentage of actual cost than people people think which is why they don't need to raise prices as much as you think to cover those costs.
"Europe haven't crapped on workers for decades"? That can be farther from the truth ( ie many violent worker protests in France , yellow vests )

UNCgolf

They changed the resort to Port Orleans with 2 sections FQ and Riverside. Theoretically the restaurant in the PO section counts for FQ.

A deluxe gives you better transportation to theme parks. Balconies. Signature dining. Extra Evening hours. PO vs a value gives you better theming and a table service restaurant. OK and a slightly bigger room.

Better value has always been offsite. More obvious as the perks get reduced. Not sure what the price increase from a value to a moderate gets you.

Not all the deluxes have better transportation to theme parks -- the very best deluxe (AKL) doesn't have any special transportation at all. It's really just the ones on the monorail loop and then the fact that you can walk to EPCOT/DHS from the three Boardwalk area resorts. I don't find the boats at some resorts any better than using the buses (and some moderates have boat transportation as well, albeit to Disney Springs).

POR is easily worth the extra price over any of the values for me -- it's peaceful/quiet and has beautiful grounds. I think it's the best resort at Disney in terms of overall value for the price. It depends on what you care about at a hotel (Disney hotel specifically), though. I'm sure the All-Star resorts are the best value for some people but I wouldn't pay $50 to stay there; it's all relative.

Again, none of the hotels are worth what they're charging in a vacuum. When I'm talking about value, I only mean relative to other Disney hotels.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

"Remotely close to being true " regarding stock price / successful company is actually just wishful thinking on your part. Yes there are some that don't fit the bill. Amazon stock price was flat line for years until it became king of their industry = stock price/successful company and that's just one example. " No real bearing " on how successful a business like Amazon really is? C'mon Tar Heel... Go Duke!

It's not wishful thinking.

To be fair, using the word success is essentially meaningless because it's subjective, but stock valuation is dependent on a wide range of factors that are often unconnected to what most people would think of as success. I'm not saying that a high stock price means the company is a failure (regarding your Amazon comment); I'm saying it doesn't mean the company is profitable or even has any clear path to profitability. Of course some companies with high stock prices are wildly successful by basically any measure, but that's certainly not true of all stocks.

My overall point is simply that using stock price as a barometer of overall success, especially in the short-term, is a flawed metric.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not wishful thinking.

To be fair, using the word success is essentially meaningless because it's subjective, but stock valuation is dependent on a wide range of factors that are often unconnected to what most people would think of as success. I didn't say that a high stock price means the company is a failure (regarding your Amazon comment); I'm saying it doesn't mean the company is profitable or even has any clear path to profitability.
The stock market has been mostly ā€œperceptionā€ā€¦not ā€œproductā€ā€¦for several decades and moves further towards that as all backstops against gambling continue to disappear.

banks are caught committing financial crimesā€¦and sometimes fraud against their customersā€¦and post ā€œrecord profitsā€ that allow the head serpents to buy back their own stock and ā€œboost valueā€ā€¦only in this bizarre universe.

I canā€™t believe this has to be pointed out. It is what it is. A bloated Disney stock price in a bloated cash grab markets means neither:
1. Chapek is a good leader (or Iger for that matter)
2. The value/quality is still there.

some people are gonna be disappointed with what is being given for the vacation bucks these daysā€¦

Lilofan

Not all the deluxes have better transportation to theme parks -- the very best deluxe (AKL) doesn't have any special transportation at all. It's really just the ones on the monorail loop and then the fact that you can walk to EPCOT/DHS from the three Boardwalk area resorts. I don't find the boats at some resorts any better than using the buses (and some moderates have boat transportation as well, albeit to Disney Springs).

POR is easily worth the extra price over any of the values for me -- it's peaceful/quiet and has beautiful grounds. I think it's the best resort at Disney in terms of overall value for the price. It depends on what you care about at a hotel (Disney hotel specifically), though. I'm sure the All-Star resorts are the best value for some people but I wouldn't pay $50 to stay there; it's all relative.

Again, none of the hotels are worth what they're charging in a vacuum. When I'm talking about value, I only mean relative to other Disney hotels.
The most beautiful , luxurious and has superior guest service is the opulent Four Seasons WDW right down the road from Port Orleans.

Lilofan

I think they are referring to in-park stores. Yes. Most of the Disney stores accross the country were closed up.
Thanks. When the economy tanked last year, Disney couldn't support all those mall stores and with Chapek re-org plans , it only made business sense to close those stores and unfortunately those that worked in the affected mall stores lost their jobs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom