Labor cost cutting measures begin at Walt Disney World as the company enters Q1

CaptainAmerica

As a former merchandise leader, there have been numerous times the last few weeks I’ve been in stores and thought “omg they have way too many people working”. Also seen lots of cast at food and wine just standing there trying hand maos to people.
QS F&B too. Pecos Bill's had about 10 people standing on the porch holding up signs directing people to mobile order on the app.

G00fyDad

Disney Board: "Wow. We are having a heck of a time getting everything open to spread out the park guests and increase gust satisfaction. I wonder what we can do about that?"

Bob Chapek: "I know! Lets fire reduce the hours drastically of some staff members from areas that have too many. It doesn't make sense to train them for roles we are having trouble filling."

Disney Board: "Sounds great! Make it happen!"

Edited to satisfy CaptianAmerica. ;)

Last edited:

Trauma

The problem is, pleasing one group of guests drives away the other group of guests. The COVID-fearful want more restrictions so they feel safe. The COVID-fatigued want zero restrictions so they can feel normal. It's lose-lose.

Disney won't get the COVID-fatigued back until there's no more masking (including on the airlines) and they won't get the COVID-fearful until the pediatric vax is out, and maybe not even then.
They are the ones who put themselves into that corner.

Why they decided to try to cater to both groups instead of the ones who are not afraid to travel is beyond me.

CaptainAmerica

Disney Board: "Wow. We are having a heck of a time getting everything open to spread out the park guests and increase gust satisfaction. I wonder what we can do about that?"

Bob Chapek: "I know! Lets fire some staff members from areas that have too many. It doesn;t make sense to keep those people and train them for roles we are having trouble filling."

Disney Board: "Sounds great! Make it happen!"
Nobody is getting fired, but keep going with your rants.

Dan Deesnee

Isn't international travel opening back up? I wonder how many that could draw in.

I noticed about a week ago that availability on DVC rooms was strangely high for October but almost completely gone for just about everything in November and December.

ToTBellHop

Isn't international travel opening back up? I wonder how many that could draw in.

I noticed about a week ago that availability on DVC rooms was strangely high for October but almost completely gone for just about everything in November and December.
People cancel pretty last-minute based upon the Covid situation. People are hoping for a pediatric vaccine by Halloween. Will that happen?

Disstevefan1

The World's Most Magical Celebration may be underway, but this isn't going to stop Disney from tightening the belt over the coming months.

I am hearing from multiple areas that the parks are being asked to heavily cut labor costs. A difficult situation when the parks are still in the process of coming back from the closure and guests numbers are starting to rebound.

Some of this is normal during Q1 in previous years, but 2021 is heavier than normal.
Not surprised at all. TWDC is guided by its metrics, if the bean counters spreadsheets say to cut costs they must follow the numbers. The guest experience is way down on the list of priorities for the company and I am guessing if they are even measuring the guest experience, by the time there are any metrics it's too late anyway.

Besides that, All the new customers don't know any better and just accept what they get and all returning guests are already conditioned; they already know they will pay more and get less.

Jeff4272

Can’t clean the hotel rooms any less than they already do…
I tried to hire an outside cleaning company to come on my trip this past April and couldnt get anyone to come on property.......We were in DVC room for 10 nights and the place was a mess.....no vacuum or broom in the room (i had to steal one off the Mousekeeping carts).............I always pay the extra $ to get my room cleaned every other day when I stay DVC....i dont want to be doing chores on vacation

Jrb1979

I don't think having international travel open up will have a huge impact. It's been open for Canadians to fly the whole time and it hasn't changed anything. The whole testing thing is making people have 2nd thoughts.

ToTBellHop

Not surprised at all. TWDC is guided by its metrics, if the bean counters spreadsheets say to cut costs they must follow the numbers. The guest experience is way down on the list of priorities for the company and I am guessing if they are even measuring the guest experience, by the time there are any metrics it's too late anyway.

Besides that, All the new customers don't know any better and just accept what they get and all returning guests are already conditioned; they already know they will pay more and get less.
People notice dirty restrooms and over-flowing trash cans. Trimming a few greeters is one thing, but the place needs to be clean.

heapster411

Maybe they can cut down the pyro's on Harmonious... Oh wait...
No Way Reaction GIF by Captain Obvious

Lilofan

I tried to hire an outside cleaning company to come on my trip this past April and couldnt get anyone to come on property.......We were in DVC room for 10 nights and the place was a mess.....no vacuum or broom in the room (i had to steal one off the Mousekeeping carts).............I always pay the extra $ to get my room cleaned every other day when I stay DVC....i dont want to be doing chores on vacation
DVC rooms get serviced every 4th and 8th day of family stay unless member declines cleaning services

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom