• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

LA TIMES: Walt Disney World plans to deploy driverless shuttles

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I disagree.

If that was the case, DisneyLand's would be LONG gone.

It serves no effective purpose, but it's still a draw for folks.

When people think of Disney, the monorail is iconic enough that it comes to mind.
Disagree, in P&R you have two factions TDA and TDO, TDA takes pride in maintaining the original principles set down by Walt and the care and attention to detail seen in the park even to things like the morse code message at the train station which could just be a random string of dots and dashes is actually a message, readable only by Military, Ham and Maritime radio operators.

TDO thinks details are wasteful money sinks because your average guest will 'never notice' them, Yet it's those details that make Disney well Disney, Does anyone have the same affection for their local Six Flags????, But TDO is trying to drag WDW to Six Flags level.

The monorail is a DETAIL a large and expensive one but a detail nonetheless, In Anaheim the monorails are seen as one of the attractions, And YES I do have my 'monorail pilot' card from both WDW and DL.

The monorail is one of my favorite attractions at WDW especially the EPCOT line where you can frequently see deer and other wildlife on the margins of the wooded areas.

TDO thinks buses cheaper, who cares about those expensive monorails, DL I think the CM's would chain themselves to the monorails in protest.

Just my 0.02

brb1006

Advertisement
This is interesting

MaximumEd

Disagree, in P&R you have two factions TDA and TDO, TDA takes pride in maintaining the original principles set down by Walt and the care and attention to detail seen in the park even to things like the morse code message at the train station which could just be a random string of dots and dashes is actually a message, readable only by Military, Ham and Maritime radio operators.

TDO thinks details are wasteful money sinks because your average guest will 'never notice' them, Yet it's those details that make Disney well Disney, Does anyone have the same affection for their local Six Flags????, But TDO is trying to drag WDW to Six Flags level.

The monorail is a DETAIL a large and expensive one but a detail nonetheless, In Anaheim the monorails are seen as one of the attractions, And YES I do have my 'monorail pilot' card from both WDW and DL.

The monorail is one of my favorite attractions at WDW especially the EPCOT line where you can frequently see deer and other wildlife on the margins of the wooded areas.

TDO thinks buses cheaper, who cares about those expensive monorails, DL I think the CM's would chain themselves to the monorails in protest.

Just my 0.02
Hyperbole. TDA stuck a Guardians ride in DCA. How's that for adherence to original principles? As for TDO not caring about detail, see Animal Kingdom. Just one of many examples.

Spike-in-Berlin

Will the shuttles be equipped with loudspeakers that occasionally tell selected guests aboard newest "rumors" about major changes in the parks and planned new attractions? Or how do they plan to compensate the loss of this "vital" source of park related informations in buses without drivers?:D

missaox

Has anyone heard more on the autonomous vehicles? Looking to know if the uber crash changed any minds at Disney, or if the idea was already fading.

the.dreamfinder

Has anyone heard more on the autonomous vehicles? Looking to know if the uber crash changed any minds at Disney, or if the idea was already fading.
GM will be the likely vendor and they haven’t had any major problems. What this accident in AZ might do is dissuade Disney from letting GM bring those cars to property until they are closer to T5 certification; that’s fully autonomous, no human action needed.

Gringrinngghost

Uber is in loads of trouble. They actually disabled Volvo's SUV's Safety System Before Fatality. Both Intel who supplies chips to Aptiv who have worked on the Volvo XC90 stated "that it tested its own software after the crash by playing a video of the Uber incident on a television monitor. Mobileye said it was able to detect Herzberg one second before impact in its internal tests, despite the poor second-hand quality of the video relative to a direct connection to cameras equipped to the car."

I follow EEVblog on youtube and this was a pinned comment that he had for his first Uber video: "I spent years doing research on object segmentation and classification with lidar. Specifically I used the velodyne hdl-64, which captures about 1.3 million 3d points per second with like 2cm accuracy. That's with a distance of like 100m. Pretty sure Uber is using the same sensor. I am also really surprised that the car had what appears to be no reaction. There is plenty of data (with the lidar alone) and computing power to detect and react to what is a rather large obstacle. There was a TED talk by Chris Urmson about two years ago where they show their Google driverless vehicle detecting and tracking a person on a bicycle and avoiding a collision. It's really impressive. Again, I am really surprised that the Uber vehicle had basically no reaction with all that data and computing power."

EyeQ2 Teardown

Last edited:

Tom P.

Just my 0.02
If what you are saying is true -- and I'm not saying it isn't -- then why has TDO not shut down the monorail system by now? I mean, is that not the logical conclusion of the attitude you are describing? There are plenty of other forms of transportation at WDW already in place that they can direct people to, and it's certainly easy enough to add more buses to increase capacity. So why continue to shoulder the expense of the monorail?

MansionButler84

If what you are saying is true -- and I'm not saying it isn't -- then why has TDO not shut down the monorail system by now? I mean, is that not the logical conclusion of the attitude you are describing? There are plenty of other forms of transportation at WDW already in place that they can direct people to, and it's certainly easy enough to add more buses to increase capacity. So why continue to shoulder the expense of the monorail?
Why, indeed.

Disone

Last I heard, BEFORE the Tempe incident is that Disney had put the driverless vechicles on the back burner, opting to let the technology develop more before they introduced this. I think the Tempe incident will only reinforce this decision. As for monorails, they are sticking around. A website that had "inside sources" tell it that Disney was going to shutter the Epcot monorail line to prolong the life of the resort and express lines. Disney took the unusual step of reaching out to that web site to say the information was completely false and there are no plans at all to close any part of the monorail system. Of note, they didn't even say or add the usual "at this time".

creathir

Monorail and PeopleMover Fanatic
Premium Member
I wonder how these cars are going to deal with deer? They don’t exactly know traffic laws.
In theory, they should detect the deer and react accordingly.

The Uber incident is the first time someone has been killed while one of these systems was active and in place.

They still are in trial mode and the driver who SHOULD have seen the person was too busy texting on her phone to notice...

She could have seen and stopped the car. But didn’t and now has to live with the fact that she killed someone.

In time, these systems will be perfected and be much safer than anything we have today as their visibility will be greatly enhanced compared to what we can do and see as human beings.

danlb_2000

Uber is in loads of trouble. They actually disabled Volvo's SUV's Safety System Before Fatality. Both Intel who supplies chips to Aptiv who have worked on the Volvo XC90 stated "that it tested its own software after the crash by playing a video of the Uber incident on a television monitor. Mobileye said it was able to detect Herzberg one second before impact in its internal tests, despite the poor second-hand quality of the video relative to a direct connection to cameras equipped to the car."

I follow EEVblog on youtube and this was a pinned comment that he had for his first Uber video: "I spent years doing research on object segmentation and classification with lidar. Specifically I used the velodyne hdl-64, which captures about 1.3 million 3d points per second with like 2cm accuracy. That's with a distance of like 100m. Pretty sure Uber is using the same sensor. I am also really surprised that the car had what appears to be no reaction. There is plenty of data (with the lidar alone) and computing power to detect and react to what is a rather large obstacle. There was a TED talk by Chris Urmson about two years ago where they show their Google driverless vehicle detecting and tracking a person on a bicycle and avoiding a collision. It's really impressive. Again, I am really surprised that the Uber vehicle had basically no reaction with all that data and computing power."

EyeQ2 Teardown
I love EEVBlog, I learn a lot about electronics and expand my Aussie vocabulary. :)

Nubs70

I wonder how these cars are going to deal with deer? They don’t exactly know traffic laws.
I see nationwide no fault insurance. As for bodily harm liability, I have no idea how this ,would work. If technology is in control, how can the operator incur liability?

Derrit

Yawn! Just connect the TTC with the Disney Skyliner and add a Disney Skyliner route to Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom lodge.

I'm all for Disney Parks using innovative and exciting ways for transportation, but you need to finish what you started with! Connect skyliner to all 4 parks.

Corey P

Driverless tech is decades out kids, don't be fooled and for that matter it may not be completely possible.

Here's one situation. Your car is operating full auto and a truck or something pulls out in front of you. Complete side ways, you will hit it at 45 MPH. The car can drive right to avoid the truck and slam on the brakes. To the right is a commercial area with 100's of people walking around. Who does the car kill? You and hit the truck to save the people in the commercial area or does the car go right and hope it brakes before hitting anyone? How do you program that? Do you want to take the chance that your car decides you are the one to die? Maybe you won't die but you will hit that truck full on.

Same with the deer. Does the auto pilot just smack the deer as opposed to drive off the road to who knows fate? Most of the time especially in the country you will be better off hitting the deer but how does the computer know it's a deer not a person?

This auto drive thing isn't as simple as it would seem.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's one situation. Your car is operating full auto and a truck or something pulls out in front of you. Complete side ways, you will hit it at 45 MPH. The car can drive right to avoid the truck and slam on the brakes. To the right is a commercial area with 100's of people walking around. Who does the car kill? You and hit the truck to save the people in the commercial area or does the car go right and hope it brakes before hitting anyone? How do you program that? Do you want to take the chance that your car decides you are the one to die? Maybe you won't die but you will hit that truck full on.
So, what do you as a human driver do in that situation?

Top Bottom