Kona Cafe Menu Update

splashtest

The one and only item that we still like is the sticky wings. The other items we tried we all just ok, nothing special. We ate here 2-3 times a year when visiting the area. If we were within an hour of Disney we would stop just to eat here. I also used to Love the Tonga Toast up until a few years back when they changed vendors. Now it too is just ok. Lunch and Dinner were this restaurants bright spots for me. Not everyone will agree and I am ok with that. I am just stating my opinion.
We even talked to our server about the changes while we were there. They have been receiving a lot of complaints about it. They tried to fight the changes themselves but their opinions fell on deaf ears. Our server asked that we send an email with our feelings on the menu changes. Not that it will make a difference, but we did as he asked. They said the "higher ups" were searching for "signature items" to represent the venue. Unfortunately the items that they removed were considered just that by many.

wannabeBelle

A bright spot is that the Macadamia Nut Pancakes with the crushed pineapple and macadamia nut butter is NOT changing. We spoke to several people there as this is a personal favorite. The new description makes it sound like something you could get at IHop, not the special sort of dish I can get at Disney only. Happily enough, this was only a description change. I did speak with the manager on duty at Kona and stopped at the Front Desk to say that I was happy this item was not changed. Marie

jmrdv

It comes down to cooking seasonally and creativity for the chefs. As a chef I have upset guests with removing menu items, some staples stay, but menus change. It's what drives us to create exceptional experiences

Our family goes to restaurants that serve what we like to eat, rarely is it something "creative". Whomever changed the menu at the Kona Cafe should be shown the door. Eating healthy is fine but vacation is often about splurging.

MassScott84

The tacos and burger were great!!! Lava Roll and Crab Cakes are there...so I'm still good for lunch. My breakfast staples are there as well...but a little disappointed about the blueberry pancakes and omelette. I'm sure they could still make an egg white omelette though."
upload_2017-9-1_10-21-20.png

Lava Roll is gone too... Every time we go I get that and the dumplings.
We're staying at Poly in 2 weeks and we cancelled the 2 lunch/dinner reservations we had at Kona. Guaranteed we would have eaten there at least 3 times this trip. Now we're going there for breakfast only.

jmrdv

THey used to have a chicken platter that came with coconut and another puree on the side. THere was also a really great marinated steak. Id order one and my wife would order the oher so we could have some of each. Even if we were not really humgry, we had these as they were SO good. = Alas gone with the wind. There is absolutely nothing on the menu now that will entice us back. Very sad! One can only hope that someone at Disney sees the light and fixes this disaster soon.

IMFearless

Does anyone know if you can still request food from 'Ohana while eating in Kona? I would rather just pay whatever the cost is for the 'Ohana meal and have that. We booked Kona 180+10 ago (before menu change) and it switched menus a week or two later. I've held the ADR hoping that they will get a lot of kickback and revert to the old menu or at least some of it before we get there. I know menus often change around the end of Sep/Oct so let's hope.

jaklgreen

So nothing else on the menu is any good to you or your DH? Nothing? If there is only one item on a menu that you like, then I certainly wouldn't consider it a "hidden gem". Oh, and we still love Kona Cafe, and enjoy many of the different menu items.

People are creatures of habit especially when it comes to food. They find something they really love and go back for the same for years. I see it all the time where I work. I don't know how popular the items were that they took off of the menu but understandably, people will be upset about not having one of their favorite foods. Even more so at a vacation spot where food is a big focus for many. For example, I used to like Panera but they keep changing the menu. So every time I would find a new favorite, it was gone in a few months. Most people don't eat like that, they want to know that they can go in and get what they know they like and not worry about picking something else that they might not care for.

aladdin2007

People are creatures of habit especially when it comes to food. They find something they really love and go back for the same for years. I see it all the time where I work. I don't know how popular the items were that they took off of the menu but understandably, people will be upset about not having one of their favorite foods. Even more so at a vacation spot where food is a big focus for many. For example, I used to like Panera but they keep changing the menu. So every time I would find a new favorite, it was gone in a few months. Most people don't eat like that, they want to know that they can go in and get what they know they like and not worry about picking something else that they might not care for.

true we are indeed creatures of habit,,,at the same time however they didnt plus the menu, they ruined it, and for what they are charging now its a rip off. I have to say the same goes for Rose and Crown, its really gone downhill after dining there last week, barren tables no condiments whatsoever, no more bread, meager portion of bland cold food, you would think the theme was world war 2 rationing. Disney is raking in well over 100% profit and not giving anything for it or wanting to spend on anything decent in terms of ingredients and portions.

splashtest

Looks like there are a few menu changes again.

Breakfast
Seven Seas Samoan is back, Eggs Benedict is gone. Salmon plate has also gone from Smoked to spice rubbed for breakfast.

Lunch
Miso Sirloing, lemon grass chicken, pistachio mahi mahi, verlasso salmon and duo of pork are all gone. In is a kona coffee rubbed filet, pork belly noodle bowl, togarashi-cured salmon, ginger soy chicken and a "catch of the day".

Dinner offers an ahi tuna plate and a spice rubbed pork chop.

Hope we see some more changes to desserts and sushi....fingers crossed.

aladdin2007

Looks like there are a few menu changes again.

Breakfast
Seven Seas Samoan is back, Eggs Benedict is gone. Salmon plate has also gone from Smoked to spice rubbed for breakfast.

Lunch
Miso Sirloing, lemon grass chicken, pistachio mahi mahi, verlasso salmon and duo of pork are all gone. In is a kona coffee rubbed filet, pork belly noodle bowl, togarashi-cured salmon, ginger soy chicken and a "catch of the day".

Dinner offers an ahi tuna plate and a spice rubbed pork chop.

Hope we see some more changes to desserts and sushi....fingers crossed.

thanks for the update, I think the complaints since the previous changes have been pretty vocal, hopefully this is an improvement, nice to see the chop back.

splashtest

I was actually surprised to hear of the changes so soon. I was patiently waiting until May to see if they made some. Still hoping for more, but I'll take these changes too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom