Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain CLOSED today due to water falling from sky

Rich T

Fast coasters in the rain are exhilarating. It's that fear that your hope the break stations work in the rain and the car doesn't hydroplane off the track.
Long ago rode the Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz in the rain. Nearly a full train, and it was one of the best, fastest trips on that coaster I've ever had. Then, at the station, the employees tried their darnedest to stop us (at the time, the ride used its original hand-operated friction platform brake that pressed up against the train's underside and was operated by a huge physical lever on the platform) but everything was too wet and we slid right on through and into the tunnel drop to the chain lift as we all cheered. Free ride for all!) :D

Phroobar

Long ago rode the Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz in the rain. Nearly a full train, and it was one of the best, fastest trips on that coaster I've ever had. Then, at the station, the employees tried their darnedest to stop us (at the time, the ride used its original hand-operated friction platform brake that pressed up against the train's underside and was operated by a huge physical lever on the platform) but everything was too wet and we slid right on through and into the tunnel drop to the chain lift as we all cheered. Free ride for all!) :D
An then this happens.

latest

JediMasterMatt

One of life's greatest pleasures is riding a wooden coaster in the rain. There is nothing quite like a wooden coaster on a hot summer day to get the wheel bearings spinning freely and then have a good storm come through. It gets the track slick (and reduces friction) and tightens up the gauge between the wheels by cooling the wood which reduces the slop (and thereby reduces friction even more).

The greatest coaster ride of my life was the Voyage at Holiday World during it's opening year on a 95 degree day where a storm came through just as night was falling. At this point of the ride's existence, I had already been on it well over one hundred times (media days, testing, enthusiast events); but for one magical ride this night right after it reopened after the thunderstorm, the wildest ride in the world found completely another gear and transformed into something else entirely. It was so smooth and frictionless that it was almost whisper silent as it slid down the rails. I was honestly scared for the first time since a child on a roller coaster. My friend and I immediately disembarked and ran around for another few spins; but, none were as perfect as this one magic trip. He posted this glowing review on rec.roller-coaster that I need to dig up as it captures the experience even better than I could.

Truly a remarkable made possible by pure luck of being in the right place at the right time.

Too bad most So-Cals don't get the chance to experience the elements like this... of course, other than a good running Ghost Rider, there isn't much in the way of a great wooden coaster.

Phroobar

One of life's greatest pleasures is riding a wooden coaster in the rain. There is nothing quite like a wooden coaster on a hot summer day to get the wheel bearings spinning freely and then have a good storm come through. It gets the track slick (and reduces friction) and tightens up the gauge between the wheels by cooling the wood which reduces the slop (and thereby reduces friction even more).

The greatest coaster ride of my life was the Voyage at Holiday World during it's opening year on a 95 degree day where a storm came through just as night was falling. At this point of the ride's existence, I had already been on it well over one hundred times (media days, testing, enthusiast events); but for one magical ride this night right after it reopened after the thunderstorm, the wildest ride in the world found completely another gear and transformed into something else entirely. It was so smooth and frictionless that it was almost whisper silent as it slid down the rails. I was honestly scared for the first time since a child on a roller coaster. My friend and I immediately disembarked and ran around for another few spins; but, none were as perfect as this one magic trip. He posted this glowing review on rec.roller-coaster that I need to dig up as it captures the experience even better than I could.

Truly a remarkable made possible by pure luck of being in the right place at the right time.

Too bad most So-Cals don't get the chance to experience the elements like this... of course, other than a good running Ghost Rider, there isn't much in the way of a great wooden coaster.
Dear Playboy, you would never believe what happen to me.....:happy:

Darkbeer1

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. It was during a special event, so SCBB didn't want to close the ride for roller coaster enthusiasts. I think once we went three times around. They started to dispatch only partially filled trains to keep the weight down. Thanks for the memories. (Typing this in a surprisingly dry Tacoma).

Darkbeer1

Well, there is the fairly new Gold Striker at CGA.

George Lucas on a Bench

Everywhere outside of SoCal, where it's dry and pleasant 99% of the year, you have no control over the weather. When I visited King's Island, the forecast called for AM rain and cloudy for the rest of the day. That was one of the days allotted to park visitation, so off I went. It seemed safe to ride Top Gun, but then...the deluge, as that lady in The Living Seas once said. It hits you like a thousand knives stabbing you all over your body. You can't breathe. You can't think. At least not about anything but the pain.

JediMasterMatt

Well, there is the fairly new Gold Striker at CGA.

GCI woodies, for the most part, fall in the good; but, not great category for me. They are always fun though. Gold Striker isn't offensive; but, didn't really have anything that stood out for me. Solid ride; but, not top tier. The only GCI's that have ventured into my top tier area are Prowler and Thunderhead when it was running really, really well. I never got to ride the Ozark Wildcat and that one may have been the best according to some of my closest enthusiast friends.

Everywhere outside of SoCal, where it's dry and pleasant 99% of the year, you have no control over the weather. When I visited King's Island, the forecast called for AM rain and cloudy for the rest of the day. That was one of the days allotted to park visitation, so off I went. It seemed safe to ride Top Gun, but then...the deluge, as that lady in The Living Seas once said. It hits you like a thousand knives stabbing you all over your body. You can't breathe. You can't think. At least not about anything but the pain.

Ah, the old Arrow Dynamics suspended coaster in the rain - complete with a soggy diaper.

Arrow, bless their hearts, came up with some of the craziest solutions to problems of their own inventions. Case in point - the suspended coaster. Take all of the mechanical bobs and bits that normally sit underneath the train and then stick them above the riders heads. Most of that machinery needs some good old fashion grease to keep running and when you put it above - let's just say that they quickly discovered how messy things could get for riders.

Have no fear - the Arrow diaper is here:

Ninja_loading.jpg

See that big bag hanging over the heads of the riders... just imagine that on a rainy day.

If you were "lucky" enough to be sitting in the front seat of any car after the first one on a rainy day... you usually would get a nice surprise whenever the train would make the initial pitch up to engage the lift hill. It's the coaster worlds own version of a Nickelodeon kids game except instead of slime it was a bucket of cold and greasy water.

The suspended coaster diaper did have a bit of another nasty surprise as lurking just beneath the surface was lots of hard steel bits to bang your head against while getting in and out of the train if you weren't careful.

Arrow Dynamics was just good old fashion engineering using a coat hanger and some creativity '80s style.

Of course, when B&M took the concept of a coaster beneath the rails and refined it with their Inverted coaster designs - no detail escaped their eye. Even though the inverted chassis still had a bunch of parts above your head, they shoved it well outside the reach of your head and covered it with a hard molded fiberglass chassis. To keep the rain from collecting up there, they have two little drains with a little rubber hose that funnels the water away from the ride envelope. Those Swiss.... they are so clever.

Still... I would love to turn back the clock for another spin on Arrow's original Bat at Kings Island. Although the Beast was my first coaster, the Bat was what created an obsession in me. Ironically, the only full circuit POV video turned up a few years ago and check out all that junk that gets dumped on the camera when it engages the first lift.

I don't really go out of my way to ride steel coasters anymore; but, one of my greatest coaster regrets is not listening to my friends when it came to the pinnacle of suspended coasters - Eagle Fortress. Too bad it is no more.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Haha...I’m from NY so hadn’t heard it referred that way. Luna Park is an old name for a new park within the last few years adjacent to the Cyclone. Just clarifying. 😉

I was actually trying to be slightly respectful. I didn't want to just say Coney Island, as it was my understanding that that was the name for the neighborhood that includes the amusement areas, boardwalk, beach, and other businesses etc. Cyclone is listed among the rides at Luna Park, so I thought I was safe.

Regardless, yes, this is the coaster I was referring to: :)

1522347982411.png

Rich T

I was actually trying to be slightly respectful. I didn't want to just say Coney Island, as it was my understanding that that was the name for the neighborhood that includes the amusement areas, boardwalk, beach, and other businesses etc. Cyclone is listed among the rides at Luna Park, so I thought I was safe.

Regardless, yes, this is the coaster I was referring to: :)

View attachment 273049
Never been to NY, but Cyclone's on my Bucket List, even if I just fly in from CA on a weekend, take a cab to Coney Island, ride the Cyclone, eat a Nathan's hot dog, take a cab back to the airport, and fly home.
(EDIT) How much is one ride on Cyclone now--fifteen bucks or something?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom