Knighting Ceremony?

Sam02

Original Poster
My sister has friends who went to WDW a few years ago. Their son participated in a ceremony and was knighted. She is insistent that her friends paid for this. He got a sword and certificate. My sister would like to do this for her son, but we haven't found out if 1) WDW still does it and 2) is it the type where they pick boys or you pay for it.

Does anybody know anything about this? Or how I can find out about it?

DizneyPryncess

There might be other people who know more about this than me...and I might be thinking of something different.

But there used to be a Sword in the Stone ceremony, where someone was picked to pull the sword from the stone. Merlin then would give them a magic certificate & perhaps a sword? I've never seen it done, but I think the whole thing was done away with a few years ago.

When I was there in March, I asked the CM taking pictures at the sword if the sword can still be pulled out of the stone, and she said yes. It does happen randomly from time to time. You may still get a magic certificate, but I'm almost positive the ceremony itself is gone. And no, this was definitely not something anybody could pay for, it was random disney luck.

I hope this helps :)

jsfra209

Actually, I had heard about Disney doing this for a child who came for a visit and was sponsored by the "Make a Wish" foundation. The child was suffereing from lymphocytic leukemia, and it was his dream to be knighted. I believe this was done in conjunction with the knighting ceremony, but was more elaborate due to the circumstances. (the child got a certificate, a sword, and was the grand marshall of the parade...whereas during the Merlin thing, the child would only get a certificate)

The Sword in the Stone ceremony still takes place at Disneyland on a pretty regular basis. It is a simple stroke of luck to be picked by Merlin, there isn't a form of payment to be chosen.

I was under the impression that the Ceremony at Magic Kingdom in FL had been cut for at least a year.

EPCOT.nut

My sister has friends who went to WDW a few years ago. Their son participated in a ceremony and was knighted. She is insistent that her friends paid for this. He got a sword and certificate. My sister would like to do this for her son, but we haven't found out if 1) WDW still does it and 2) is it the type where they pick boys or you pay for it.

Does anybody know anything about this? Or how I can find out about it?

HEY! I saw a cute knighting ceremony at Rose & Crown at 12 noon when the restaurant opened a few weeks ago.

At the outside entrance in between the booth for beer and the booth for reservations, the staff knighted a little kid. I couldn't see very well over the people (and I was trying to make a reservation at the time) so I can't say if they gave anything to the kid.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for - good luck in your quest! :wave:

tdonald

The Sword in the Stone ceremony still takes place at Disneyland on a pretty regular basis. It is a simple stroke of luck to be picked by Merlin, there isn't a form of payment to be chosen.

I was under the impression that the Ceremony at Magic Kingdom in FL had been cut for at least a year.

Yeah that's about right. It's currently not being done at all.

Momketeer

Sword Ceremony?

Anyone heard of ANY chance of the sword ceremony returning, ever?

I saw an ad for the release of "The Sword in the Stone" 45th anniversary special edition DVD (release date Tuesday 6/17) and hoped MAYBE just maybe that a someone might find the magic to bring that back, even for a little while to promote the DVD release.
:shrug:

I know, not a great reason, esp considering all that it takes to put on the show...but I love that show! and one can hope. It has a really special place in my heart and I would so love to see it return. Seems like a perfect Magical Moment type thing and one with entertainment value to boot.

Sam02

Original Poster
Although the Sword in the Stone Ceremony sounds right....deals with a sword and certificate. The way my sister's friends explained it that is not the ceremony they had. According to them their son was in a ceremony where he was "knighted" by royalty. He received a "real" sword, etc. Now I haven't heard this story first hand, but they did say they paid for it.

I for one have never heard of anything like it but my sister is adamant that it happens and she just has to do it for her son if it still exists. I've tried telling her things change but she won't listen. Any other ceremonies out there besides the Sword in the Stone....even if they don't exist anymore. I could at least tell her yes they did have it, but not any longer.

Tiggerfanatic

On our last trip, I saw some kind of group kid thing going on behind the shops in England with a couple CM's, and they had swords.....just saw it in passing and didn't stick around to see what was actually being done....

Phonedave

There is no sword given in the (now-defunct) sword in the stone ceremony.

It used to work like this. Merlin would come out and do his show. He would pick an adult, who would not be able to remove the sword, then he would pick a child who would be able to MOVE the sword. It does not come out, but rises up about a foot.

He then declares the child ruler of WDW for a certain amount of time (an hour maybe, I forget) he then blathers on about a whole bunch of stuff, then tells the child that he talked so long that their reign over WDW has now ended. The kid gets a certificate and a bronze looking medallion on a purple ribbon.

I have the medallion and certificate somewhere (My youngest daughter pulled the sword out of the stone once) and if I get around to it, I can post pictures.

It does not sound like a knighting ceremony - I have no idea what that could be.

-dave

rotherad

I can confirm that there is a knighting ceremony at the Rose and Crown in the UK Pavilion and that you don't pay for it, you are chosen, however you don't get a sword but you do get a magical certificate and a crown :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom