Kitchen Sink Thoughts

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
With the allergies and your sensitive tummy Erin Mckenna Bakery (erinmckennasbakery.com) They are one of the best when you have allergies and YUMMY goodies.

I know I should keep my tummy in mind, but I've been thinking about indulging a bit this trip...but taking it slow. I still plan to get some goodies to go from Erin Mckenna so that I have safer stuff stored in the room. At least we have a villa, so we'll have a full fridge if I want to go overboard a bit :D

Figgy1

Premium Member
I know I should keep my tummy in mind, but I've been thinking about indulging a bit this trip...but taking it slow. I still plan to get some goodies to go from Erin Mckenna so that I have safer stuff stored in the room. At least we have a villa, so we'll have a full fridge if I want to go overboard a bit :D
We may have done that in the past:angelic: If FQ was open I'd send you there for safe beignets

nickys

Premium Member
We did it as a family just for fun. We knew there was no way we were going to finish it but it was fun to do once and it’s certainly one of the boys’ favourite memories. I think we asked them to leave off a couple of things.

MickeyLuv'r

There used to be another Jaxson's location. I'm not sure where, but I'm pretty sure it was in/near Ft. Lauderdale. That one was even bigger.

[Did you know the old Wolfie's or Pumpernick's Delis? I just read Larry King's obit today. I didn't know his early broadcasts were at Pumpernick's. Thinking of Pumpernick's always reminded me of Wolfie's. Both had mile high 8 layer cakes, and the basket of yummy rolls and a bucket of pickles on every table.

I searched for that kind of pickles for many years, before learning they are called half-sours. I never knew how to describe them to anyone, but now I know they are minimally brined. So that's why they can't be sold in a jar. A few years back, a local pickle maker finally started making them. I wasn't the only one begging for them, and the place gained a serious following for their half-sours! They sell out in mere hours (or did pre pandemic).

One of the Wolfie's was near one of the Jaxson's, but that was many moons ago. so that's kind of why I thought of it when I saw your post.

I don't know any place that has the 8 layer cakes, and only ever saw them in Southern FL. They were so impressive! I'd love if WDW or some place near WDW had them. Olivia's was supposed to be Florida cuisine, but falls really flat. It is sad no place at WDW offers great conch chowder! That's also why the key lime mousse was so disappointing. It just wasn't key lime!

The fudge shop in St. Augustine might have been a Kilwin's. There are a number of Kilwin's in a number of tourist cities all up and down the eastern states. I think they go all the way up to Cape Cod, Gettysburg, Annapolis, Gatlinburg, Savannah, and a bunch in FL. The ones I have seen are all kind of old-timey and have good fudge. On their website, it even looks like there is one in Celebration! Though I've never been to that one.

I'm presently enjoying some FL honeybells! It pains me WDW oranges are always so horrible. Just Ugh! There's a kitchie orange place up on 192, called Orange World. It looks like a big orange. It is not far from WDW. I don't know they have the best oranges anywhere, but it is cute and close to WDW.

I know, wildly off-topic from your original question. Fun to hear from someone who knows Jaxson's! I wish WDW had a place of that caliber.

Actually, at WDW, my go to ice cream is most often the regular ol' Mickey bar.

UNCgolf

I know, wildly off-topic from your original question. Fun to hear from someone who knows Jaxson's! I wish WDW had a place of that caliber.

Have you been to Vivoli? It's not the absolute best gelato I've ever had, but it's up there. It's much higher quality than anything else at WDW, or at most other places I've been to around the US.

Hcalvert

The mini-kitchen sink (Minnie or Mickey) is available for order at Beaches & Cream for about $24. They also have those extravagant milkshakes in the souvenir cup available for about $15. I went to B&C two times for dinner during my last trip in December. My husband likes the brownie sundae and we usually share it. We have also had the banana split, which is good and can be tailored to your tastes. I want to try one of the milkshakes, but I never have room for one. We always get the reubens when we are there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Especially since they essentially ruined Beaches and Cream with the recent refurb. It used to be worth going in there because it was a fun setting, but now it's just generic -- it's up there with the worst refurbs Disney has ever done.

If ice cream is what you're wanting and Vivoli il Gelato is open at Disney Springs, go there (yes, it's technically not ice cream but same type of thing, although not quite as bad for you). It's easily the best on Disney property in my experience; nothing else is close.

You know...I think I intentionally blocked out looking at it. I had forgotten they ripped it up - honestly.

Thanks for bringing me down, dude 🤪

UNCgolf

You know...I think I intentionally blocked out looking at it. I had forgotten they ripped it up - honestly.

Thanks for bringing me down, dude 🤪

I only found out about it a few days ago due to someone else's post here!

It's amazing how bad it is. It looks like an IHOP with a different color scheme. They ripped out literally everything that made it fun originally.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Its just Edy's Ice Cream. Now the tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich is a whole other story :)

That's an EXCELLENT point! We were just going for ice cream and it's kind of crazy to pass on the fun things in DS for Edy's. I can just replicate it at home if I want the experience.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
There used to be another Jaxson's location. I'm not sure where, but I'm pretty sure it was in/near Ft. Lauderdale. That one was even bigger.

[Did you know the old Wolfie's or Pumpernick's Delis? I just read Larry King's obit today. I didn't know his early broadcasts were at Pumpernick's. Thinking of Pumpernick's always reminded me of Wolfie's. Both had mile high 8 layer cakes, and the basket of yummy rolls and a bucket of pickles on every table.

I searched for that kind of pickles for many years, before learning they are called half-sours. I never knew how to describe them to anyone, but now I know they are minimally brined. So that's why they can't be sold in a jar. A few years back, a local pickle maker finally started making them. I wasn't the only one begging for them, and the place gained a serious following for their half-sours! They sell out in mere hours (or did pre pandemic).

One of the Wolfie's was near one of the Jaxson's, but that was many moons ago. so that's kind of why I thought of it when I saw your post.

I don't know any place that has the 8 layer cakes, and only ever saw them in Southern FL. They were so impressive! I'd love if WDW or some place near WDW had them. Olivia's was supposed to be Florida cuisine, but falls really flat. It is sad no place at WDW offers great conch chowder! That's also why the key lime mousse was so disappointing. It just wasn't key lime!

The fudge shop in St. Augustine might have been a Kilwin's. There are a number of Kilwin's in a number of tourist cities all up and down the eastern states. I think they go all the way up to Cape Cod, Gettysburg, Annapolis, Gatlinburg, Savannah, and a bunch in FL. The ones I have seen are all kind of old-timey and have good fudge. On their website, it even looks like there is one in Celebration! Though I've never been to that one.

I'm presently enjoying some FL honeybells! It pains me WDW oranges are always so horrible. Just Ugh! There's a kitchie orange place up on 192, called Orange World. It looks like a big orange. It is not far from WDW. I don't know they have the best oranges anywhere, but it is cute and close to WDW.

I've heard of Wolfie's and I know my parents moved to that area before they closed. They may have even had something catered by them. For the pickles, I know exactly what you're talking about, and yet I never knew they were called half sours. They are my favorite! Most of the Jewish/Kosher delis we've frequented over the years bring out the bowl pickles and pickled tomatoes and I always ask for extras of those. This is from a local place, and you know that light one has my name written all over it!

33080112270_b2de2f6f72_z.jpg

While I know I've seen them in delis, I always associate the big layer cakes in the displays with NJ diners. My parents took us to one called Lester's that had something reminiscent of what we used to see in NJ.

20113760850_a996ec3d91_z.jpg

I've never been to Olivia's. My parents would hit it up for breakfast on their stays at OKW, but that's about it. I think I've had enough conch chowder and key lime pie from going down to the Keys that I'm good. LOL In general, I've learned to lower my expectations with traditional things at WDW owned restaurants.

Not a clue on the fudge. It's been about 30 years since I had fudge there, so who knows. We were in Gatlinburg for a couple of days this summer, but between there and Pidgeon Forge, there were so many candy and fudge places that they all blended together. We tried one and it was just ok.

I think I may know of the orange place you're talking about. I'm actually not a huge citrus person. We're warm enough here that we can grow them, but I just never have. Our old neighbors used to have grapefruits and oranges that would fall into our yard. It all reminds me though of before my parents moved south and my mom and grandmother would put in citrus orders each winter.

A Mickey bar does sound good!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I only found out about it a few days ago due to someone else's post here!

It's amazing how bad it is. It looks like an IHOP with a different color scheme. They ripped out literally everything that made it fun originally.

They never can make everyone happy. Some people complained that they never could get a reservation, so they expanded capacity. Now other people complain that it lacks its former intimacy.

Lilofan

Wolfie's in Miami Beach was legendary until the locations in the Miami area including the one on 21st street years ago.

UNCgolf

They never can make everyone happy. Some people complained that they never could get a reservation, so they expanded capacity. Now other people complain that it lacks its former intimacy.

It's not about the size of the space, though. They changed the entire aesthetic.

They could have made it bigger while retaining the original look. That was the only reason to go in the first place -- it's like the Sci-Fi Drive In or the 50s Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios. You don't go to either of those places for the food; you go because of the theming. If Disney removed most or all of the theming to increase capacity but kept the exact same menu/food quality, would anyone recommend going there?

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

It's always kind of bugged me that we've never checked this off of our list of iconic Disney things to try. I have an ADR at B&C on our arrival day, but we're all still feeling a bit mixed on going through with this. It's not the amount of food. I mean, I know we won't finish it nor are we going to push ourselves too hard to try. We'd really just be doing it for the spectacle and to check off that box. It's also not the cost. In fact, I think we'd probably wind up spending less if we just got this vs. items specific to our ice cream preferences.

The problem...
1. My husband hates mint anything...so the regular variety wouldn't be his first choice.
2. I hate chocolate ice cream and cookies and cream ice cream. In fact, I'm a freak of a person that also hates Oreos! 🤪🤣 So, there are things in all options that I dislike.
3. My older daughter has peanut and tree nut allergies, so we'd have to get an allergy friendly version because of her, when my younger one and I both really like nuts and peanut butter with our ice cream.
4. I'm the only one who likes pineapple topping (OK...LOVES it) and would go out of my way to have it on a sundae.

We are going to Disney Springs afterwards and would have plenty of treat options there. So, it would probably make sense to skip B&C and just have fun things in DS, but for anyone has gotten the Kitchen Sink...do you feel like it's one of those experiences that's worth it at least once, just to say you did it?
Two words....

Gummy Bears

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Who the hell wants to eat that whole thing... Gross...

While it is going to sound wasteful, we never intended to eat the whole thing. It was just about the novelty. Still, after seeing how quickly it melts and how nasty it looks, it became a real turnoff.

MickeyLuv'r

Have you been to Vivoli? It's not the absolute best gelato I've ever had, but it's up there. It's much higher quality than anything else at WDW, or at most other places I've been to around the US.
Yes, but not extensively. I'll try to make a point of stopping there, when next I visit WDW.

We tend to visit DS on arrival day or departure day, so visits tend to be on the short side, and focused on a few favorites, if that makes sense.

While the key lime mousse wasn't super, the Mickey brownies at the patisserie are great! OP said she doesn't like chocolate very much, so I didn't mention them. To be honest, they don't look very remarkable, especially compared to all the little treats in the light up cases, but they taste great. they are also - I think- only displayed by the register, and easy to overlook.

The real bonus of the brownies is that they come in a nice box, and stay fresh for several days. They are a great treat to bring home from WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom