Kitchen Sink Thoughts

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It's always kind of bugged me that we've never checked this off of our list of iconic Disney things to try. I have an ADR at B&C on our arrival day, but we're all still feeling a bit mixed on going through with this. It's not the amount of food. I mean, I know we won't finish it nor are we going to push ourselves too hard to try. We'd really just be doing it for the spectacle and to check off that box. It's also not the cost. In fact, I think we'd probably wind up spending less if we just got this vs. items specific to our ice cream preferences.

The problem...
1. My husband hates mint anything...so the regular variety wouldn't be his first choice.
2. I hate chocolate ice cream and cookies and cream ice cream. In fact, I'm a freak of a person that also hates Oreos! 🤪🤣 So, there are things in all options that I dislike.
3. My older daughter has peanut and tree nut allergies, so we'd have to get an allergy friendly version because of her, when my younger one and I both really like nuts and peanut butter with our ice cream.
4. I'm the only one who likes pineapple topping (OK...LOVES it) and would go out of my way to have it on a sundae.

We are going to Disney Springs afterwards and would have plenty of treat options there. So, it would probably make sense to skip B&C and just have fun things in DS, but for anyone has gotten the Kitchen Sink...do you feel like it's one of those experiences that's worth it at least once, just to say you did it?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's always kind of bugged me that we've never checked this off of our list of iconic Disney things to try. I have an ADR at B&C on our arrival day, but we're all still feeling a bit mixed on going through with this. It's not the amount of food. I mean, I know we won't finish it nor are we going to push ourselves too hard to try. We'd really just be doing it for the spectacle and to check off that box. It's also not the cost. In fact, I think we'd probably wind up spending less if we just got this vs. items specific to our ice cream preferences.

The problem...
1. My husband hates mint anything...so the regular variety wouldn't be his first choice.
2. I hate chocolate ice cream and cookies and cream ice cream. In fact, I'm a freak of a person that also hates Oreos! 🤪🤣 So, there are things in all options that I dislike.
3. My older daughter has peanut and tree nut allergies, so we'd have to get an allergy friendly version because of her, when my younger one and I both really like nuts and peanut butter with our ice cream.
4. I'm the only one who likes pineapple topping (OK...LOVES it) and would go out of my way to have it on a sundae.

We are going to Disney Springs afterwards and would have plenty of treat options there. So, it would probably make sense to skip B&C and just have fun things in DS, but for anyone has gotten the Kitchen Sink...do you feel like it's one of those experiences that's worth it at least once, just to say you did it?
Yes definitely skip it. It isnt anything special beyond the sheer size of it, but you can easily recreate that at home with store bought ice cream.

Much better options at Disney Springs.

Club Cooloholic

The problem...

Totally the same thought(not the but allergy issue)with all the flavors and nobody really wanting all that. I wonder if they they you swap in different flavors of you like.

epcotisbest

My wife and a group of friends had it on a girl's trip a couple of years ago. She said it got nasty and melty long before it was finished. Her opinion is they wanted to try it and it was fun for a little while, but would not do it again, and this was with five people who had no allergies or restrictions or aversions to anything except the mint, which they requested be left out and that was left out.

UNCgolf

Yes definitely skip it. It isnt anything special beyond the sheer size of it, but you can easily recreate that at home with store bought ice cream.

Much better options at Disney Springs.

Especially since they essentially ruined Beaches and Cream with the recent refurb. It used to be worth going in there because it was a fun setting, but now it's just generic -- it's up there with the worst refurbs Disney has ever done.

If ice cream is what you're wanting and Vivoli il Gelato is open at Disney Springs, go there (yes, it's technically not ice cream but same type of thing, although not quite as bad for you). It's easily the best on Disney property in my experience; nothing else is close.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

Totally the same thought(not the but allergy issue)with all the flavors and nobody really wanting all that. I wonder if they they you swap in different flavors of you like.
This summer we were looking at Disney recipes and we ran across this video re. the Kitchen Sink. It looks like you can choose some of your flavors (see ~00:44 sec). I know the videos a bit old but it looks like its basically the same recipe.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, it's sounding like we could tailor it to meet our tastes, and I know it can be made allergy friendly. Still, @epcotisbest confirmed another concern...it turning into a nasty soupy mess. That's how it looks in a lot of the videos...and I think there's only one of us who really enjoys a melted bowl of former ice cream.

JohnD

The problem...

Or just get individual sundaes. Just as delicious. My favorite is the peanut butter/chocolate No Way Jose.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Or just get individual sundaes. Just as delicious. My favorite is the peanut butter/chocolate No Way Jose.

The No Way Jose is good and I have been craving peanut butter of late, but I also really liked @UNCgolf 's suggestion of Vivoli il Gelato. We're big gelato fans and they offer rum raisin...one of my absolute favorite flavors! Decisions...decisions!

The Colonel

I've owned BCV since it opened and we never did the Kitchen Sink until a couple of years ago with our two grandkids. Everybody always wanted their own sundaes; No Way Jose (so offensive), hot fudge sundae, banana split, etc. They will make the KS any way you want it. However, they no longer do the show with all the hoopla. That is gone along with any charm the place had since the refurbishment.

UNCgolf

The No Way Jose is good and I have been craving peanut butter of late, but I also really liked @UNCgolf 's suggestion of Vivoli il Gelato. We're big gelato fans and they offer rum raisin...one of my absolute favorite flavors! Decisions...decisions!

I went there three times my last Disney trip because it was so good. Had to get at least one scoop every time I was at Disney Springs.

JIMINYCR

As much as I'd like to try to beat it, I know I'd fail so I'd hate to attempt it and walk away knowing the majority of it would get tossed. If its a bucket list option for you and you dont mind not finishing, then by all means have them tailor make it for you and give it a shot. When you see its really started to melt into the soupy goop, walk away at that point. Disney trips are all about the fun experiences, great memories, and trying fun things. Youll walk away satisfied that you did it and can brag to everyone that you did something they may not have done.

MarvelCharacterNerd

You're asking about trying a signature dish - but you'd want to change the ingredients.

You're wanting to experience the spectacle - but they're not doing the grand presentation with multiple CM's, lights and noise, so they'd be serving you a dish and no one would notice you're having it.

You're saying you'd enjoy other food elsewhere.

Seems a pretty easy decision to me. :)

MickeyLuv'r

Some years ago, we thought about getting this, but we got to B&C and just didn't feel the pull. In roughly the same area, we opted for ice ream at the Dolphin (or BWK). Neither of the really blew us away. Nothing at WDW remotely compares to Jaxson's down in Dania Beach, but that's 3 hours south of WDW.

Closer to WDW, the ice cream in Universal's Diagon Alley, "Florean Fortescue's," has excellent tasting ice cream. They don't have a gazillion flavors, or anything like Kitchen Sink, but the unique flavors they offer are delicious. Apple Crumble, Salted Caramel Blondie, and Clotted Cream are all great.

Within WDW, we also prefer the offerings in DS for sweets/ice cream. There's Ghirardelli, Vivoli, Amorette's Patisserie, and the new Gideon's (haven't tried). The creations at Amorette's are attractive and generally taste amazing. Only option we haven't loved was a Key Lime mousse. (We love good key lime; it just wasn't. ) Everything else we've gotten there was very good, though no ice cream.

[Another option for fabulous cold sweets, if you plan to leave the WDW bubble for a day trip, is the frozen fruit bars in St. Augustine at the Hyppo. Hyppo is nothing fancy to see, but the frozen fruit bars are outstanding! Bonus, it is located in the heart of St. Augustine's Old Town shops, and easily walkable to the Castillo de San Marco. If you have never been, St Augustine is an incredible day trip! It is 2 hours' drive, east/north of WDW, and bonus! It has beaches.]

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Some years ago, we thought about getting this, but we got to B&C and just didn't feel the pull. In roughly the same area, we opted for ice ream at the Dolphin (or BWK). Neither of the really blew us away. Nothing at WDW remotely compares to Jaxson's down in Dania Beach, but that's 3 hours south of WDW.

Closer to WDW, the ice cream in Universal's Diagon Alley, "Florean Fortescue's," has excellent tasting ice cream. They don't have a gazillion flavors, or anything like Kitchen Sink, but the unique flavors they offer are delicious. Apple Crumble, Salted Caramel Blondie, and Clotted Cream are all great.

Within WDW, we also prefer the offerings in DS for sweets/ice cream. There's Ghirardelli, Vivoli, Amorette's Patisserie, and the new Gideon's (haven't tried). The creations at Amorette's are attractive and generally taste amazing. Only option we haven't loved was a Key Lime mousse. (We love good key lime; it just wasn't. ) Everything else we've gotten there was very good, though no ice cream.

[Another option for fabulous cold sweets, if you plan to leave the WDW bubble for a day trip, is the frozen fruit bars in St. Augustine at the Hyppo. Hyppo is nothing fancy to see, but the frozen fruit bars are outstanding! Bonus, it is located in the heart of St. Augustine's Old Town shops, and easily walkable to the Castillo de San Marco. If you have never been, St Augustine is an incredible day trip! It is 2 hours' drive, east/north of WDW, and bonus! It has beaches.]

We've actually been to Jaxson's! My parents currently live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and we went back in 2015. That was a really fun ice cream experience.

20406400426_cf7e306dc0_z.jpg

20423994932_a22cdcda78_z.jpg

20432618845_832b2b0d82_z.jpg

Sorry...not the greatest pictures, but I can speak from personal experience that Jaxson's is definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

We've been to Ghirardelli before and have had cake from Amorette's, which is excellent.

When my parents first moved to FL, we were living in Gainesville, so we had a number of trips to St. Augustine. My strongest memory from there was a fudge shop, but there are a lot of really cool places to stop when visiting there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom