Keys to the Kingdom Tour

Tinkerbell 8

Has anyone ever gone on the MK Keys to the Kingdom tour? We are going to WDW in January and we thought about doing a tour since we've been there so many times. This one caught my eye because you get to see the Utilidors. Any advice or experience about this tour would be great!

DisneyFan1003

We did it a few years ago and loved it! We booked the first tour of the day, which was cool because we got into the park before it officially opened and had a few minutes to walk down an empty Main Street. Overall, it was totally worth the money - just make sure you plan that chunk of time out of your trip!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
thanks for the reply. being inside the park before it opens is great, we had ADR for breakfast once and it was great being able to take a picture of the castle without heads in the way.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Rob562

The tour guides have a lot of latitude in how they conduct the tour. We took the tour over a decade ago, when Costuming for the entire park was still down in the Utilidors. (It's now mostly moved to the north service area near cast parking, though Characters and I think Entertainment are still down under the park)

The tourguide can also really make for a great tour. Ours had some great stories, and had a personal connection to Walt: his mother had been one of the original park Tour Guides when Disneyland opened, and he had a photo of Walt holding him as a baby.

Overall, for someone who's been to the park a few times, it's definitely worth it. If you're a huge Disney geek like I am, you may not learn a whole lot on the tour, but it's great to finally be able to see things that you've only ever read about.

-Rob

Upvote 0

harryk

Definitely worth the experience. I and my DW have taken a tour of some type each year and have loved them all. Keys is among my favorites. Yes, the tour guide makes all the difference, we've had a couple who were rather sleepy but the remainder have been exceptional. The earlier the tour begins - the better.

This year we are on a segway tour, behind the scenes at EPCOT. Hope to find another new tour next year.

Begin adding a tour each year and your enjoyment of 'the World' only increases.

:xmas::xmas::xmas:

Upvote 0

majorrfb

A very interesting tour.

We did it a few years ago and loved it! We booked the first tour of the day, which was cool because we got into the park before it officially opened and had a few minutes to walk down an empty Main Street. Overall, it was totally worth the money - just make sure you plan that chunk of time out of your trip!

We did the same and enjoyed the tour. Your guide is the key and ours was wonderful. Great personality and knowledgeable about the MK. If you have a Disney Chase card, you can get a 10% on the cost of the tour. :wave: Have a great day.

Upvote 0

stillgoofy

I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour last October and I loved it. I agree that for the Disney geek, it is great. I actually did it solo while my daughter stayed with my parents. We had a group of about 12-15. I am a Disney trivia buff and learned alot of new stuff on this tour. I loved being able to go backstage and in the utilidors and also learn some Disney secrets. It is totally worth it.

By the way, I believe that the Disney VISA discount is 20%, not 10%. I took advantage of that too. I also try to do a different tour each year.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm definitely going to book the tour now. And I do have a Disney Chase credit card so the discount makes it even better:sohappy:

Upvote 0

dizzney

DH and I just did this August 22nd and had Patrick for a guide, he was absolutely wonderful. We learned sooo much, one of the highlights was the explanations he gave of Haunted Mansion "magic" prior to going on Haunted Mansion trhu a back door and our eyes were so opened trhoughout and thats my favorite ride!

Well worth the money, we got either an AP, DVC or Disney Visa discount which was eitehr 15 or 20%, includes lunch and you get the keys to the kingdom pin.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I thought the minimum age for this tour was 16? Or did I make that up..

No you didn't make that up.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tours-and-experiences/keys-to-the-kingdom/
Disney's Keys to the Kingdom Tour

Disney's Keys to the Kingdom Tour highlights the fascinating history of Walt Disney World Resort and provides backstage access to secret areas of Magic Kingdom theme park.

Guests must be at least 16 years of age.

This approximately 4.5-hour walking tour explores the stories behind the remarkable creation and growth of Magic Kingdom theme park. Hear the intriguing story of Walt Disney and learn how his innovative ideas, revolutionary visions, creative philosophies and amazing accomplishments brought the Theme Park to life. The journey includes stops at backstage facilities and a variety of favorite attractions.

One unforgettable highlight is a trip below Magic Kingdom theme park into the service tunnels known as the Utilidors. This is one urban legend that is absolutely, and almost unbelievably, true—the Guest accessible areas of Magic Kingdom theme park are actually on the second floor of a massive structure. The first floor—called the Utilidors—allows Cast Members, deliveries and even trash to be unknowingly transported below Guests' feet as they wait in line for their favorite attraction.

If you would like an even more in-depth look at the backstage areas of Walt Disney World Resort, consider the 7-hour Backstage Magic tour.

Magic Kingdom theme park admission is required and is not included in the price of the tour. Please keep in mind that Disney's Keys to the Kingdom Tour is an outdoor walking tour, so be sure to check the weather report and dress appropriately.

Upvote 0

stefan74

My mom and I have been to Disney many times and we are headed back to the Magic in March and I have been reading this thread. I asked her if she wanted to go on the tour and she said yes! I booked it yesterday and we are set for the 8:30am tour on Thursday, March 10, 2011. I cannot wait and neither can she and we are both very excited! :sohappy:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this.

Have a magical day!

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Will they let you take any pictures or video of any of the behind the scenes areas (including the utilidors area?)
Nope.

I really enjoyed the Keys tour. The Disney Visa discount and the fact that includes lunch really helped with the value, too. I agree, if you're even a moderate Disney geek like me, you probably won't learn a lot, but it is still a really interesting tour. And getting to see backstage/the utilidoors is pretty neat.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Has anyone ever gone on the MK Keys to the Kingdom tour? We are going to WDW in January and we thought about doing a tour since we've been there so many times. This one caught my eye because you get to see the Utilidors. Any advice or experience about this tour would be great!

We absolutely loved the Keys to the Kingdom Tour! Our tour guide was amazing! It was one of my most favorite moments!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom