Kevin Yee Reports - All the missing curtains

jmuboy

Original Poster
Ok, so I am trying not to start in on another WDW / TDO rant. but today Kevin Yee reported on missing "widening curtain" effects in Impressions de France, Philharmagic, and theater 3 in Universe of Energy. Now I can only get to WDW 1 time a year because I also go to DL one time a year (speaking with my wallet I am skipping WDW this year and just going on a non Disney Cruise). Back on topic, I know all three effects that Kevin refers to. It seems the changes in Philharmagic and France are new changes.

Philharmagic attempts to dress the exposed screens up with instruments and does not look half bad.

That cannot be done in France as it will be out of theme and is currently NOT being done in Universe of Energy. So these 2 EPCOT shows just have naked screens with simple 1980s effects that TDO refuses to maintain.

So I would love to hear feedback on this. Does Philharmagic look ok as is now? Are the EPCOT theaters as bad as Kevin describes? And why were these changes even made. certainly these curtains did not all stop working at the same time. This had to be a singular TDO decision. Maybe a temporary one? (doubtful). And certainly simple effects that could be achieved in 1982 suddenly don't become too hard to maintain.

I don't get it - and just hope I am over reacting to another stupid move by TDO.

disney fan 13

Just read it... I am planning to change my avatar to the rizzo factor pic...

P.S your not over reacting

( waits to get torn apart by PD addicts...)

djkidkaz

People worry way to much about these strange little details. Im so glad that Im not so bored with vacationing at WDW that I have to look for missing curtains or broken animatronics. :ROFLOL:

TheDisneyMagic

People worry way to much about these strange little details. Im so glad that Im not so bored with vacationing at WDW that I have to look for missing curtains or broken animatronics. :ROFLOL:
To be fair, the missing curtains in Ellen's Energy Adventure look awful, you enter the almost dark scene with two gigantic white screens glowing.

peter11435

Philharmagic attempts to dress the exposed screens up with instruments and does not look half bad.

The instruments have always been there. They are usually projected on to the curtains instead of just the bare screen.

The curtains have not worked in the Universe of Energy Theater 2 in years.

TheBeatles

the philhar curtains have problems frequently.

i don't think it's a maintenance issue so much as it is a programming issue.

MarkTwain

the philhar curtains have problems frequently.

i don't think it's a maintenance issue so much as it is a programming issue.

Certainly our current programming and computing capacity exceeds that of 1982... :shrug:

And yes, this is particularly frustrating in that both Energy and Philharmagic have effects that have to do with pulling the curtains open and revealing the screen beneath. Both attractions convincingly portray their screens as being much smaller than they are, and when the full size of the screen is revealed (in Energy, with Ellen actually telling the screen to widen, and in Philharmagic, with the stage rising up), it can be a really big and impressive "wow" moment for the show. The fact that they none of the three work anymore is indicative that management apparently no longer cares about show quality, considering that three of the same effect going down simultaneously is not a coincidence.

I would ordinarily say "this is getting embarrassing," but I'm pretty sure I've said that 10 times or so already in similar threads. So instead I'll change it to "Disney should be ashamed."

Horizonsfan

Ok, so I am trying not to start in on another WDW / TDO rant. but today Kevin Yee reported on missing "widening curtain" effects in Impressions de France, Philharmagic, and theater 3 in Universe of Energy. Now I can only get to WDW 1 time a year because I also go to DL one time a year (speaking with my wallet I am skipping WDW this year and just going on a non Disney Cruise). Back on topic, I know all three effects that Kevin refers to. It seems the changes in Philharmagic and France are new changes.

That cannot be done in France as it will be out of theme and is currently NOT being done in Universe of Energy. So these 2 EPCOT shows just have naked screens with simple 1980s effects that TDO refuses to maintain.

So I would love to hear feedback on this. Does Philharmagic look ok as is now? Are the EPCOT theaters as bad as Kevin describes? And why were these changes even made. certainly these curtains did not all stop working at the same time. This had to be a singular TDO decision. Maybe a temporary one? (doubtful). And certainly simple effects that could be achieved in 1982 suddenly don't become too hard to maintain.

I don't get it - and just hope I am over reacting to another stupid move by TDO.

I'll say as far as MPH, it doesn't stand out as a major problem but when the stage "disappears", the reveal of the giant screen is far far far less impressive.

UOE as everyone knows, looks incredibly odd with one sole black screen in the middle that flies away, then a film that for the first half uses 1/3 the screen. Have yet to see the Impressions change but it sounds awful.

I'd say these reveals are low on my list of priorities but they just reinforce the "cut out the fat, then cut out a little muscle" mentality that seems to be prevalent in FL.

djkidkaz said:
People worry way to much about these strange little details

I'm not going to defend every issue brought up about maintenance at WDW but "strange little details"? With a statement like that, I'd be curious (in all seriousness) to know exactly what makes you choose Disney over any other amusement park.:shrug:

djkidkaz said:
Im so glad that Im not so bored with vacationing at WDW that I have to look for missing curtains or broken animatronics.

You don't have to look for them, they're in plain sight for all to see at wonderful attractions like Splash, UOE, EE, etc.:lol:

Jim Handy

The World's best entertainment company (?) can't get curtains to move. May not make or break a show, but makes a difference.

They once used to care.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Ok, so what would you consider a MAJOR detail? :shrug:

mm52200

Philharmagic is very hit and miss with the curtains. They were working back in December, but I can think of multiple visits within the same trip where they would be there and then a few days later they were missing again. So don't entirely count out Philharmagic...but I haven't seen Ellen's curtains in a while...

asianway

Looks like Kevin will be the lead story in the weekly social media damage control PowerPoint deck. Good job!

Better luck next time spirit

MissMorrow

While I'm less inclined to freak out about curtains not working vs. animatronics, how much time, effort, and money does it take to fix a curtain? :confused:

Jim Handy

While I'm less inclined to freak out about curtains not working vs. animatronics, how much time, effort, and money does it take to fix a curtain? :confused:

Not much.

Kevin-Love The Rizzo Factor. So fitting. It's like they made that years ago for us to discover the relationship one day. It's too perfect.

jmuboy

Original Poster
Personally - I would love for Kevin Yee to keep a weekly blog of a running list of all the TDO failures and cutbacks. Say what you want about AL LUTZ, but the late 90's into the early 2000s Al Lutz kept the "social media heat" on DL. He was certainly not the single driving force that caused DL to change, but he was defintiely part of it.

WDW +++IS+++ declining by degrees. And it will require vocal people to force them to change their ways. Public pressure from fans, competition from universal, etc will be what forces WDW to get off its dusty laurels.

Time will tell, but my Disney disposable income is going to DL in the meantime.

disney fan 13

Personally - I would love for Kevin Yee to keep a weekly blog of a running list of all the TDO failures and cutbacks. Say what you want about AL LUTZ, but the late 90's into the early 2000s Al Lutz kept the "social media heat" on DL. He was certainly not the single driving force that caused DL to change, but he was defintiely part of it.

WDW +++IS+++ declining by degrees. And it will require vocal people to force them to change their ways. Public pressure from fans, competition from universal, etc will be what forces WDW to get off its dusty laurels.

Time will tell, but my Disney disposable income is going to DL in the meantime.

I would add effects not working to that list...

WDW1974

You are TDO's perfect guest.

Really.

~Anyone have any VD MAGIC to share?~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom