Kevin Yee- Parks close one day a week?

AEfx

They had a guest die on one of their rides at Disneyland because of their own malpractice. I think they could manage the PR consequences of closing a park for one day a week.

Comparing two totally different things.

I'm not talking about guest PR, but business PR, which is a far different beast. From a Wall Street standpoint, Disney admitting it was doing so poorly that they had to close one of their parks one day every week would be catastrophic for their image as an evergreen company.

AEfx

pheneix

Disney admitting it was doing so poorly that they had to close one of their parks one day every week would be catastrophic for their image as an evergreen company.

I don't think any investor thinks of Disney as an evergreen company as turbulent as this decade has been. If anything it might be explanation for their stock remaining stagnant over the past year or so.

And having a death on your watch effects business just as much as publicity. Just ask Six Flags!

AEfx

Okey-dokey, Phenieix. :) You completely miss my point, but that's okay - you hold your breath for them to close one day a week. :)

AEfx

KevinYee

I'd like to reply to a few posts all at once, if I could.

The kicking around of a contingency plan to close one park one day a week (in the off season) was not my imagination simply running wild, nor a Magic 8 ball. This really is being discussed at the highest levels of WDW.

As the article states, it's a contingency plan - not something that is currently scheduled or for sure to happen.

As for the post-9/11 Disney World, I think the financial cost of having the parks all open during that time (it was expensive!) is one reason they *are* looking to reduce that kind of overhead in the future, if travel collapses like that again.

Since I became a topic of discussion myself, let me interject that by no means is it my goal simply to create controversy. I would not attempt to say that I'm a journalist in the vein of Carl Bernstein; the online blogger of the 21st century is part watchdog, part journalist, and part essayist. Having an opinion is central to what I write. Those who prefer a positive opinion/spin on Disney stories have other venues to receive that kind of news, and those folks are probably better served avoiding my articles, which do not attempt to sugarcoat.

I wouldn't say that I'm automatically pessimistic (witness my Toy Story Midway Mania article, for instance) - just that I attempt to hold Disney accountable to its own reputation, its history, and its brand. There are those who won't like that no matter what, and I can respect that people have their own mentality. I tend to seek out opinions divergent from my own, but I recognize that not everyone does so.

Lastly, I very much value constructive criticism and hope that you (all) continue to let me know what you think, and how I can improve.

miles1

Thanks, Mr. Yee, for stopping by to answer all the posts here. And thanks for doing so civilly, when some of the people here have been less than civil to you. Unfortunately it appears that a number of posters here are either too young to remember serious economic downturns or are in denial that it could happen again, and that even WDW would be affected. For some reason they feel it's OK to villify the writer without completely comprehending what they've read.

One would have to believe that WDW is managed by a bunch of idiots if they believe that these contingency plans haven't been discussed, even if they are unlikely to come to fruition. (And that's all your article claimed) It's simply prudent management to plan ahead for natural and ecomonic disasters.

Good executives cannot simply ignore the situation and hope that things get better. People that do this are called "politicians.":animwink:

tirian

^^ Politicians also happily announce they'll provide "change" when, in fact, one person does not have the authority to change everything in America. ;)

I'm glad Yee showed up, too. I was going to comment earlier on this thread; then I thought, "Why should I? Most of these posts are so immature that I shouldn't even bother with them."

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Kevin, though you still don't have me with your article, I applaud how you're handling the thread. :sohappy:
Now then, everyone, play nice or I'll tell The Mom on you!

bjlc57

an excellent response..

I, too, want to thank you for your response. Too many posters here, want to candy coat the situation or are in denial. That Disney never sins or has contingency plans. Its always perfect.

we need more posters like you, who tell the truth. Black and white. and who don't live with their head in the sand.

I applaud your efforts:sohappy:

AEfx

While you guys are cleaning off your noses, LOL, you will find that what probably amounts to the majority of people around here do not care for Yee, due to a reputation he has earned over the years and not simply people who don't agree with his constant negativity.

You'll find him about as liked around here as Jim Hill, as both are people that when you read your first article of theirs you think, "Wow, this guy might have a point, or an interesting story..." but after years of the same comments over and over and the constant self-elevation and promotion, many can't stand him.

It's great that you enjoy his work, and I'm glad - you should continue to do so. But don't dismiss everyone who doesn't share the same opinion, because most of us who are critical of him came by our opinions via experience, not knee-jerk reactions.

AEfx

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
While you guys are cleaning off your noses, LOL, you will find that what probably amounts to the majority of people around here do not care for Yee, due to a reputation he has earned over the years and not simply people who don't agree with his constant negativity.

You'll find him about as liked around here as Jim Hill, as both are people that when you read your first article of theirs you think, "Wow, this guy might have a point, or an interesting story..." but after years of the same comments over and over and the constant self-elevation and promotion, many can't stand him.

It's great that you enjoy his work, and I'm glad - you should continue to do so. But don't dismiss everyone who doesn't share the same opinion, because most of us who are critical of him came by our opinions via experience, not knee-jerk reactions.

AEfx
after all, it is a knee-jerk Monday

Post of the Year Nomination

tirian

AEfx

I'm personally one of the last people to defend Mice Age, which I find ridiculously biased against WDW.

But I'm also glad that Yee came here to defend himself this time, especially since last-resort contingency plans are in place for many things throughout WDW. That they exist doesn't mean you'll actually see them executed. Maybe this is a case of somebody crying, "Wolf!" so many times that people ignore him when it's true. :shrug:

maggiegrace1

Um..Just wondering..Do we really know it is Kevin Yee?

I mean we have a poster with the name Walt Disney...
I mean it may be him..but we never know.

AEfx

Um..Just wondering..Do we really know it is Kevin Yee?

I mean we have a poster with the name Walt Disney...

LOL he's posted here before, pretty sure it is legit.

Just read the posting, describing a blogger as "part-journalist, part-watchdog...", I was waiting for him to say, "part-Superman"; yeah, I have no doubts that it was him ROFL.

AEfx

maggiegrace1

LOL he's posted here before, pretty sure it is legit.

Just read the posting, describing a blogger as "part-journalist, part-watchdog...", I was waiting for him to say, "part-Superman"; yeah, I have no doubts that it was him ROFL.

AEfx
:lol:
Okay..Thanks..Like I said..dont know who he is...I could not even tell you who this Jim Hill guy is if you asked me..:shrug::eek:

AEfx

:lol:
Okay..Thanks..Like I said..dont know who he is...I could not even tell you who this Jim Hill guy is if you asked me..:shrug::eek:

Oh, God, if only I could say those words as well...you just made half this board extremely jealous of you.

/wink

AEfx

THis is from a Jim Hill article dated 2/21/2003:

"But for right now, it's all Disney can do to keep the parks it already has in Orlando open. As I previously mentioned in this week's "Project Gemini" story: if the upcoming war with Iraq has a prolonged negative impact on WDW's attendance levels, the Mouse is supposedly giving semi-serious thought to shutting down each of its Central Florida theme park for at least one day every week. Doing everything they can contain costs 'til the conflict is over and the tourists start flocking back to Florida."

Seems like this is, at most, an extremely back-of-the-file cabinent plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom