Keto Lifestyle Group

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Anyone else here living a Keto (low carb , high fat) lifestyle?

Figured I’d start a thread to offer support and morale for the troops.

I started my Keto journey in November of 2018, Black Friday... after my (now) ex sister in law lost nearly 200 lbs. I hadn’t seen her in a long time and assumed she had bariatric surgery.

Since then I’ve lost 100 lbs.

Disney at 265 lbs, barely fitting on attractions.

August 2019:

165lbs and eager to get back to Disney.

Let’s share recipes and provide support and inspiration.397864

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I started my Keto journey in November of 2018, Black Friday... after my (now) ex sister in law lost nearly 200 lbs. I hadn’t seen her in a long time and assumed she had bariatric surgery.

View attachment 397861

August 2019:

View attachment 397862

Let’s share recipes and provide support and inspiration.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
That's great that it worked for you. I'm personally more of a fan of portion control than anything, but good for you getting the weight off.

Calorie restriction doesn’t work... it just turns down the temperature of furnace. If I can lose a 100lbs eating as much red meat and vegetables as I want all while watching every bio marker in my life fall then it’s the way to go.

Any move to get back to a more primal way of eating is certainly a better long term plan than relying on our present western model

Goofyernmost

August 2019:

Let’s share recipes and provide support and inspiration.View attachment 397864
Gosh, everyone is thinner in France. Less gravitational pull I would imagine. I'm glad it worked but make sure you monitor your circulatory systems and try and remember that in those early primal days life expectancy was about 30 years.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Gosh, everyone is thinner in France. Less gravitational pull I would imagine. I'm glad it worked but make sure you monitor your circulatory systems and try and remember that in those early primal days life expectancy was about 30 years.
Yes but that wasn’t due to nutrition... people died from illness due to infection, not heart disease and diabetes. A cold, tooth infection, or cough took you out up until the 1600’s!

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Congratulations on the weight loss! My nephew's wife and her mother are both on it and each has lost over 100 lbs over the past 2 years. Pretty amazing.
It’s difficult and easy at the same time because it’s a matter of will power. People will claim they can’t give up bread or cookies etc etc etc but that’s all a matter of mental will power. The benefits far outweigh the social pressures of being around people eating donuts.

I always laugh when people freak out that you order a burger without a bun but don’t bat an eye when kids are chugging sugar laden apple juice. Oh well.

DisneyGigi

Keto is amazing. My cholesterol was insanely high and I went on to try to lose about 15 lbs. Not only did I lose more than the 15 lbs (about 20) but my numbers plummeted from eating the very things they tell you will raise it. Kerrygold butter, shrimp, fish and red meat bacon etc. I do only eat grass fed red meats and grass fed butter, milk etc. I do cheat from time to time and when I do if extended, I gain a few pounds but as long as I maintain it most of the time- My bloodwork is now excellent!
Congrats on the weight loss!

Goofyernmost

Yes but that wasn’t due to nutrition... people died from illness due to infection, not heart disease and diabetes. A cold, tooth infection, or cough took you out up until the 1600’s!
I'm not arguing with you, but, I don't think anyone really knows that. It's pure speculation. Besides I'm talking about much more primal then that. They could have said from being mauled by a saber tooth tiger. Hence the infection.

Goofyernmost

You guys are really talking about a slightly modified Atkins diet. No carbs, just protein and vegs.... red meat included with other stuff.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
You guys are really talking about a slightly modified Atkins diet. No carbs, just protein and vegs.... red meat included with other stuff.

No, Atkins has a lot higher protein... keto is high fat, low carb, moderate protein. Gluconeogenesis gets you in trouble with high protein, the body will convert that extra protein (amino acids) into glucose so essentially the same process in the conversion of carbs.

Keto is similar to the first stage of Atkins but then it breaks.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Keto is amazing. My cholesterol was insanely high and I went on to try to lose about 15 lbs. Not only did I lose more than the 15 lbs (about 20) but my numbers plummeted from eating the very things they tell you will raise it. Kerrygold butter, shrimp, fish and red meat bacon etc. I do only eat grass fed red meats and grass fed butter, milk etc. I do cheat from time to time and when I do if extended, I gain a few pounds but as long as I maintain it most of the time- My bloodwork is now excellent!
Congrats on the weight loss!

I enjoyed shedding light on my doctor... he warned my cholesterol would go up, which LDL did... until I demanded an advanced lipid panel test that measured the size of cholesterol molecules. They measured large, meaning they’re exponentially less likely to build plaque vs small molecules that wreak havoc. I discovered this test in an article in a medical podcast and my dr had never heard of it... maybe time for a new doctor?!

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I survived 10 days in China and 14 days in France.

You can travel , enjoy food, and stay within the keto mindset while abroad!

Disney is hard though, not many choices and even what is available is “dirty keto” at best.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I thought I’d share a quick recipe that can help kick a bread fix / craving.

Melt 10 grams of Kerry Gold butter in a small dish. Then proceed to mix the butter with a single egg. When that mix is beaten add 20 grams of almond flour (or 15 grams almond flour / 5 grams coconut flour), a dash of baking powder, sweetener if you’d like (I used a company called SWERVE) and maybe a dash of vanilla. Mix that all up and spoon into a ramekin.

Then microwave for 90 seconds.

Split it, slab some butter and grill. It’s delicious and depending on what kind of almond flour you use nets about 5-6 grams of net carbs.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Keto can be dangerous though so it’s an all or nothing way of living. Due to the fact that you’re eating high fat foods if you think you can do it Monday - Friday then take the weekends off you’ll never become fat adapted , you’ll gain weight, and well... it doesn’t work.

Disney Analyst

Keto can be dangerous though so it’s an all or nothing way of living. Due to the fact that you’re eating high fat foods if you think you can do it Monday - Friday then take the weekends off you’ll never become fat adapted , you’ll gain weight, and well... it doesn’t work.

We've started Keto, been doing it for a week. We don't plan on doing it for a very long time, as we don't like the dangers associated, but so far i'm down 6 pounds (likely water). We are also doing intermittent fasting with it, so only eat between 12-9.

Found lots of great recipes, so it hasn't been that hard! Although we will be cheating on Saturday as we are going to the local exhibition/fair with friends and I'm having fair food darnit.

Probably do this up until Christmas season.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
We've started Keto, been doing it for a week. We don't plan on doing it for a very long time, as we don't like the dangers associated, but so far i'm down 6 pounds (likely water). We are also doing intermittent fasting with it, so only eat between 12-9.

Found lots of great recipes, so it hasn't been that hard! Although we will be cheating on Saturday as we are going to the local exhibition/fair with friends and I'm having fair food darnit.

Probably do this up until Christmas season.
The problem is that no one can name those dangers because the general population has a severe misunderstanding / perception of what a ketogenic lifestyle is. They associate it with a “dirty keto” way of eating which is the whole bacon and hot dogs etc.

The key is a well formulated ketogenic diet, that’s the hard part. Read up on Mark Sisson, he’s been at least low carb since the 70’s and is ripped out of his mind for a guy his age but he eats super clean.

Doing keto, losing weight, and going back to a western diet doesn’t make sense. You’ll gain the weight back unless you transition from keto to low carb. Either way, it’s common sense that refined white stuff (sugar, flour etc is killing us with diabetes and heart disease).

Also, read data from Virta... a recent 2 year study (which is the length of a “long term diet study” in case you’re curious) showing a massive rate of remission in biomarkers of people suffering from diabetes.

I’m always curious the rate of the population that is walking around with pre-diabetic A1C levels and they just don’t know it because they don’t go to the doctors and get their vitals checked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom