News Ken Potrock leaves DVC and moves to President, Consumer Products Commercialization

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ken Potrock has moved on from Disney Vacation Club/Adventures by Disney leader to President, Consumer Products Commercialization.

This is one of the new roles created from the reorganization of Disney Parks and Consumer Products into one division.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Based on what I've read from him in the DVC quarterly publication, he's come across to me as a lot of huff and puff and little substance, good at marketing and spin. He'll fit in well at Consumer Products. ;) Overall, I don't have a negative opinion of him, as some things with DVC improved under his watch, but DVC has basically been treading water, benefits-wise, for years. Sure, there's a few special promotions once in a while, but again, they tend to be huff and puff and "things of intrinsic value", rather than something concrete, like "We've finally negotiated a slightly better discount on AP's from Disney than the perpetual $100 discount that's lost some of its real value every year", or "DVC members get a 20% discount on 7-day park hoppers". But I definitely wish him well in his new position!

correcaminos

5 years, didn't see anything wonderful out of the guy - time for him to move along. JMO.
I have seen the increase in Membership Benefits in general, and a guy who is easy to talk to. Though the stiffing of the membership extras at Copper Creek wasn't lost on me though. Put a sour taste in my mouth how that was quietly brushed away to the point where I don't think we're doing concierge next month. Of course I don't know who is really in control of getting these benefits out to us anyway.

I haven't seen real confirmation of this though or who is replacing him. Seems odd to announce that without a successor (and I'd love to see a link to the news).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ll try to to ask this with sandpaper (no promises 😜)...

But hasn’t this guy done EXACTLY what DVC’s goals are now?

And by that - I mean selling points that have climbed at a ridiculous price rate and eased the old membership in and out of “perks”? And taken a big bite out of the resale market?

Let’s be serious...they don’t want to increase perks. Wouldn’t it make more sense to push people into paying higher prices/expecting less for the longterm?

I actually think they’ve given a lot more perks than they wanted these last few years...obviously there’s more pressure on DVC than we’re lead to believe.

In most cases...they’ve already got you - no matter what people say in bluster.

Disney knows it’s targets.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have seen the increase in Membership Benefits in general, and a guy who is easy to talk to. Though the stiffing of the membership extras at Copper Creek wasn't lost on me though. Put a sour taste in my mouth how that was quietly brushed away to the point where I don't think we're doing concierge next month. Of course I don't know who is really in control of getting these benefits out to us anyway.

I haven't seen real confirmation of this though or who is replacing him. Seems odd to announce that without a successor (and I'd love to see a link to the news).

I might be out of the loop a little...but could you elaborate on this? I’m fascinated.

correcaminos

I might be out of the loop a little...but could you elaborate on this? I’m fascinated.
Oh, originally in the text Disney had with Copper Creek, they were going to have mixers from 7-10pm at night for all Members, not just those paying for the concierge lounge. April 30th comes and quietly all text from the Disney sites have this removed. People at WDW showed up to Reunion Station not knowing what was done on the internet with the wording, and were turned away.

"And from 7-10 p.m. daily, Reunion Station will open its doors to Members* for mixing and mingling. A Concierge host will be on hand during these nighttime hours to answer questions and offer assistance."
https://secure.cdn3.wdpromedia.com/...yfilesmagazine/2018/2018DisneyFilesSpring.pdf

Still there in the Disney Files Magazine, but it was removed from the site. So quietly done and crappy move IMO since we have it in text that was the idea and then all of a sudden, nothing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, originally in the text Disney had with Copper Creek, they were going to have mixers from 7-10pm at night for all Members, not just those paying for the concierge lounge. April 30th comes and quietly all text from the Disney sites have this removed. People at WDW showed up to Reunion Station not knowing what was done on the internet with the wording, and were turned away.

"And from 7-10 p.m. daily, Reunion Station will open its doors to Members* for mixing and mingling. A Concierge host will be on hand during these nighttime hours to answer questions and offer assistance."
https://secure.cdn3.wdpromedia.com/...yfilesmagazine/2018/2018DisneyFilesSpring.pdf

Still there in the Disney Files Magazine, but it was removed from the site. So quietly done and crappy move IMO since we have it in text that was the idea and then all of a sudden, nothing.
Ok...thank you. A good piece of info for sure.

correcaminos

Ok...thank you. A good piece of info for sure.

I only am kind of aware of this because we were considering concierge for our upcoming stay and I was combing all the news for Reunion station when I fell upon it. It was reported on other sites a week after opening but by then I had already read reports of people being turned away on social media.

note2001

I hadn't seen those reports on Union Station's change in use. I guess they decided to reallocate those evening hours to the concierge to help make it worth it? I bet they kept those afternoon lessons though!

To be humiliated like that at the door is "bad show" per Captain Hook himself. They could have tried to make up for it by offering the ever present fast passes they use all to often to buy off complainers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I only am kind of aware of this because we were considering concierge for our upcoming stay and I was combing all the news for Reunion station when I fell upon it. It was reported on other sites a week after opening but by then I had already read reports of people being turned away on social media.

Weren’t they supposed to close the “concierge” at wilderness? Or was that rumor?

correcaminos

Ditto, but my non dvc family insists on staying club level when they're there so it kept my interest.
Totally understand! We have always enjoyed our CL stays so I get why your family likes it too. I'm still looking forward to our stay at CCV, but the whole deal with Reunion Station just has me meh. I get that likely it was caused by backlash of those saying $50 is too much for several hours, but still they could've handled it a little better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom