Keeping vacation dates "close to the vest"

slappy magoo

Hey there hi there ho there...

I'm sure I slip up once in a while, but I'm always amazed when I see people on the forum give the specific dates that they plan on going to WDW. I feel the same way when any of my friends mention their vacation plans on facebook, or actually post while on vacation. For me, it's like advertising "I'm not home! Thieves looking for an empty house to rob? Have at it!"

Last trip I took to WDW, I would occasionally check out the forum and add a comment, but I never mentioned in those posts I was onsite, until I was offsite, back at home. I probably did on previous vacations, but eh, I was a carefree sprite back then, now with kids I feel like I have more to lose and it's important to keep the house safe, which means having a home security system, have friends or relatives come over for a few minutes to get the mail, make sure nothing seems out of place and that the refrigerator didn't stop working, etc.

So, no one has to be explicit unless they want to, a "yes" or "no" will suffice: Does anyone here refrain from cyber-announcing their next trip to WDW?

djpoore94

That is the reason my Facebook profile/posts are limited to my friends only. My friends list is pretty small (if I wouldn't talk to the person on the street I'm not friends with them on Facebook). If I can't trust a person enough to let them know I'm out of town and know that they won't rob me blind then I'm not friends with them in real life or on Facebook!

Upvote 0

SMS55

I don't post on Facebook that I will be away if my house will be empty.

There was actually a case where someone found old high school buddies on Facebook and they broke into their house because the homeowner announced he was at a concert. I don't have many friends on Facebook. It's for close friends, family and out of town relatives. I'm not worried about anyone on my list. I've known them too long. I do have a problem with people posting EVERYTHING on Facebook. Whatever happened to the days when someone stuff was reserved for a journal or diary?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom