Kathleen Kennedy Emerges From Bunker to Name New SVP

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kennedy was trotted out during Star Wars Celebration panels like for The Mandalorian reveal and some other stuff and was part of the senior leadership VP SWGE touring as well.
Was she doing interviews to the Hollywood or business press as she had before?

It’s a bit of context. That is a zealot Star Wars comic con...not likely to find too many vocal dissenters there

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Contrary to your belief the entire fan base doesn't have the same opinion as you. You and your other grumpy friend here don't speak for the entire fan base. The boys only club has had their time and can go sit at the back of the bus and let someone else drive.

Ep9 will speak for itself on whether the fan base truly has an issue with the franchise or not.

It’s not about our opinions...you and the more defenders - and I give you the benefit of the doubt - are obtuse to what the opinion of Star Wars is outside of a DISNEY chat board.

The proof of problems are there...you’re finding new and exotic ways to disclaim them and throw out the evidence. There should be a cable news channel for this.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s not about our opinions...you and the more defenders - and I give you the benefit of the doubt - are obtuse to what the opinion of Star Wars is outside of a DISNEY chat board.

The proof of problems are there...you’re finding new and exotic ways to disclaim them and throw out the evidence. There should be a cable news channel for this.
You seem to think I only come here for my information, now who's being obtuse.

Have I said there were no issues, no. What I've said is that this "backlash" you keep going on and on and on and on about is blown way out of proportion. Sure there were lots of fans that got upset with the Disney Star Wars films, specifically Ep8. But there were plenty of fans that didn't have an issue with it. Lots a new fans coming into the franchise because of the new films, specifically in foreign markets.

I've said it a couple times now, if Ep9 does better than Ep8 then the Solo flop was just an anomaly rather than some long held backlash. However if Ep9 flops then yes I'll admit there is a larger issue than I've been previously willing to admit. So we'll see.

My honest opinion, and I said last page, is that fans aren't really all that interested in the origin films. Marvel has had an issue with some of their origin films too. Fans want the ensemble films, and that is what Disney/Lucas should really learn from these issues. Push the Star Wars origin movies to Disney+ and have the ensemble films released to theaters.

Now as far as your other proof such as merchandise, which is really just your opinion. That is such 80s way to look at the state of a franchise. I propose this thought to you, have you considered that younger fans just aren't all the interested in the current line up of toys? Fan tastes change. Just because fans used to gobble up any and all SW toys and merch out there no matter what it was doesn't mean it'll always be that way for all time. 40-50 year old men can't maintain the same level of merch purchases that they did 30 years ago. Now what I'll be interested to see is if the SW:GE merch does well over the next year. If it does then we know its not an issue with some backlash but rather the merch itself that vendors are creating. Which is something that Chapek (since I believe all licensed merch falls under him) will need to look at.

erasure fan1

So wait, if Ep9 is going to easily do over 1B and its only a single film that didn't make over 1B wouldn't that make the single film an anomaly? I mean invested or not if there really is this supposed backlash that made people all upset against all things "Star Wars made by Disney" wouldn't Ep9 also flop as you guys claim happened with Solo? I would think that if people are really that upset they'd just wait until it came out on video.

So I'm sorry but you guys can't have it both ways. Either there is this backlash that is causing fans to not go to the movies or there's not. You can't say there is a backlash if the film is still going to do gangbusters in theaters. If that's the case then its a real hollow backlash, as in "I'm so upset that I'll sit out one film, but yet I'm still going to give them my money for the next one (and likely see it 2-3 times)".

Give me a break....
First off, you said yourself the backlash was overhyped. Well that would mean there was a backlash, it just wasn't as big as people think. And I agree. Solo had multiple things going against it. Troubled production, fan disinterest, bad choice of release date and fan backlash. I'm not asking for it to be both ways. If the movie does a billion dollars, you don't really believe that isn't a fail in Disneys eyes, do you? Thats why I say ep9 box office might not be a great indicator. Yea 1 billion isn't bad but compared to force awakens over 2 billion that makes it a bit of a disappointment. Again, is the backlash huge? No. But to say there wasn't any. Like you said, give me a break...

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Contrary to your belief the entire fan base doesn't have the same opinion as you. You and your other grumpy friend here don't speak for the entire fan base. The boys only club has had their time and can go sit at the back of the bus and let someone else drive.

Ep9 will speak for itself on whether the fan base truly has an issue with the franchise or not.

So you're of the "insert random checklist item here to appeal to a demographic" party no matter if its cogent to the story or not ?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
First off, you said yourself the backlash was overhyped. Well that would mean there was a backlash, it just wasn't as big as people think. And I agree. Solo had multiple things going against it. Troubled production, fan disinterest, bad choice of release date and fan backlash. I'm not asking for it to be both ways. If the movie does a billion dollars, you don't really believe that isn't a fail in Disneys eyes, do you? Thats why I say ep9 box office might not be a great indicator. Yea 1 billion isn't bad but compared to force awakens over 2 billion that makes it a bit of a disappointment. Again, is the backlash huge? No. But to say there wasn't any. Like you said, give me a break...
And I agree there was some backlash, sorry if I made it seems like I was trying to say there wasn't any. But yes it was overhyped and not as big as certain posters (not you) around here are claiming. And I agree with you on the Solo breakdown.

As for Ep9, I think Ep7 set expectations too high (mostly in fans minds). Sorry but not every film is going to break 2B. Even Marvel the money printing machine has only had 2 out of 22 films hit 2B. So its a hard feat to pull off even for SW. But over 1B, yeah that is a reasonable thing to expect and not be disappointed by. I'm predicting 1.5B+ for Ep9, and I think Disney would call that a success.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So you're of the "insert random checklist item here to appeal to a demographic" party no matter if its cogent to the story or not ?
No, but I am for expanding the appeal of the franchise. If you only appeal to a certain portion of the population, say a 55 yr old white guy from Texas/Georgia for example, you lose. As that portion of the population will not live forever, and Disney knows this. So in order to keep the franchise going you have to appeal to a broader population.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So lemme get this staight:

1. There is a backlash
2. But it’s overblown and created by a small segment of internet trolls
3. But there are problems...but those are unrelated to the tiny backlash
4. And the vast majority of opinion is that Star Wars is strong and the backlash is ultimately an outlier opinon
5. But Disney is also taking steps to address those problems...even though the vast majority of opinion is strong and the minor troll backlash is unrelated and overblown
6. Maybe

Ok...I got it now...now I’m gonna go to OTHER places to find the opinions. And hope there isn’t anything that supports those minor internet troll opinions who are overhyped and frankly irrelevant.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, but I am for expanding the appeal of the franchise. If you only appeal to a certain portion of the population, say a 55 yr old white guy from Texas/Georgia for example, you lose. As that portion of the population will not live forever, and Disney knows this. So in order to keep the franchise going you have to appeal to a broader population.

So how have they expanded the appeal of the franchise...in real terms?

erasure fan1

I agree, you shouldn’t just focus on one group. But where the failure has been is the fact they are not appealing to a good majority of the OG fans. You need all the fans for the franchise to be healthy. I'm all for new, that's why I have said (even before Disney bought Lucas) that removing yourself from the OT would be the smartest thing to do if they were to make more movies. Ep9, I hope gives us a satisfying conclusion. If it doesn't you could have issues with this next trilogy if Kennedy is still around.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So lemme get this staight:

1. There is a backlash
2. But it’s overblown and created by a small segment of internet trolls
3. But there are problems...but those are unrelated to the tiny backlash
4. And the vast majority of opinion is that Star Wars is strong and the backlash is ultimately an outlier opinon
5. But Disney is also taking steps to address those problems...even though the vast majority of opinion is strong and the minor troll backlash is unrelated and overblown
6. Maybe

Ok...I got it now...now I’m gonna go to OTHER places to find the opinions. And hope there isn’t anything that supports those minor internet troll opinions who are overhyped and frankly irrelevant.
Ok, Star Wars is burning down.... Its all Kathleen Kennedy's fault, lets get our pitchforks and go get her. Then throw her to the feet of Iger and demand he remove her and replace her with some fan that "gets it" to make the fandom happy. Let's all rejoice!

But wait what if the new fan leader makes Ep10 to be just like Ep 4, oh no! Now we have to yell and scream and claim SW is failing and that they don't "get it" because they're just making fan service films and demand the next CEO remove them and get someone else that "gets it". Blah Blah Blah Blah......

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree, you shouldn’t just focus on one group. But where the failure has been is the fact they are not appealing to a good majority of the OG fans. You need all the fans for the franchise to be healthy. I'm all for new, that's why I have said (even before Disney bought Lucas) that removing yourself from the OT would be the smartest thing to do if they were to make more movies. Ep9, I hope gives us a satisfying conclusion. If it doesn't you could have issues with this next trilogy if Kennedy is still around.
That's the problem though. The OG fans live too much in the OT. And when you try to go away from the OT, they claim "they don't get it", "they don't understand the formula", "its the OT characters we want" and on and on. To be honest I can't imagine what OG fans are going to say when the SkyWalker saga is really over. Not sure if I even want to think about it. Basically it the nostalgia factor set to 11, mess with it you get uproar, don't do something new you get uproar. Its a no win situation with that group unfortunately. So I say move forward and just deal with the lumps and try to create a new story arc that can appeal to a large mass of the population. Bring in new fans and everything will be fine.

erasure fan1

So I say move forward and just deal with the lumps and try to create a new story arc that can appeal to a large mass of the population. Bring in new fans and everything will be fine.
That's why I said they should have moved forward from the start. The old republic was/is a no brainer. You can give the OT fans like myself all the cool star wars feels stuff. While at the same time introducing something new and not worry about stepping all over beloved characters. OT people do favor the OT, but its for a good reason. It's the best star wars. I just think Disney let Kennedy swing way too far the other direction. Instead of having Ep7 really be that swan song for the OT characters and then passing the torch.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's why I said they should have moved forward from the start. The old republic was/is a no brainer. You can give the OT fans like myself all the cool star wars feels stuff. While at the same time introducing something new and not worry about stepping all over beloved characters. OT people do favor the OT, but its for a good reason. It's the best star wars. I just think Disney let Kennedy swing way too far the other direction. Instead of having Ep7 really be that swan song for the OT characters and then passing the torch.
I don't disagree with that. We'll see how Ep9 ends things. And I agree with one of your other points from earlier, the next film series is going to be the real test. I just think we'll be able to get a real pulse of the franchise based on Ep9, just my opinion.

Darkprime

I think a lot of the fan base will fall off and lose interest after RoS if they haven't already. Especially if they somehow ruin Palpatine. Which I think is possible. The Last Jedi did a lot of damage to the franchise's public perception which is kinda sad after all the goodwill generated by the Force Awakens (Even if Disney will never publicly admit this they had to be aware of the backlash as some of it made mainstream media the closest we got was Disney admitting they made a mistake scheduling Solo 6 months after TLJ.) They would never admit one of their major tentpole films had issues. Personally I'm at the point now we're I'm struggling to get excited for RoS and Star Wars as a whole. I just didn't care about Star Wars after TLJ. I say this as someone who watched Revenge of the Sith 5 times at the theater in 2005. I'm kinda interested in Jedi Fallen Order but that's where my interest ends. And the reviews are gonna have to really sell me on that game.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok, Star Wars is burning down.... Its all Kathleen Kennedy's fault, lets get our pitchforks and go get her. Then throw her to the feet of Iger and demand he remove her and replace her with some fan that "gets it" to make the fandom happy. Let's all rejoice!

But wait what if the new fan leader makes Ep10 to be just like Ep 4, oh no! Now we have to yell and scream and claim SW is failing and that they don't "get it" because they're just making fan service films and demand the next CEO remove them and get someone else that "gets it". Blah Blah Blah Blah......
what?!?

You went “faux victim patronizing hypothetical hyperbole”??

I’ll give you credit for keeping me guessing on that set piece 😯
That's the problem though. The OG fans live too much in the OT. And when you try to go away from the OT, they claim "they don't get it", "they don't understand the formula", "its the OT characters we want" and on and on. To be honest I can't imagine what OG fans are going to say when the SkyWalker saga is really over. Not sure if I even want to think about it. Basically it the nostalgia factor set to 11, mess with it you get uproar, don't do something new you get uproar. Its a no win situation with that group unfortunately. So I say move forward and just deal with the lumps and try to create a new story arc that can appeal to a large mass of the population. Bring in new fans and everything will be fine.
So lets ask some questions...and assume that each involves more merchansing revenue (easy profit)

What were the goals of the Star Wars purchase and reboot?

1. Balance fandom to the female demographics
2. Take the appeal away from what the OT was - which was male, waspy types in NATO countries and spread that out across demographics
3. Crack “developing markets”...notably china
4. Build a bridge to the OT money heavies that were disillusioned by what Lucas did with the prequels - mainly concentrating on the child fan to buy another generation of loyalists.
5. Make the movies both appeal to purists but also manage to hook kids as the OT did. Few movies have as much all age appeal over time.

So honest question - and use little words cause I’m not as bright and deep as you - have any of those been done?
Honest questions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think a lot of the fan base will fall off and lose interest after RoS if they haven't already. Especially if they somehow ruin Palpatine. Which I think is possible. The Last Jedi did a lot of damage to the franchise's public perception which is kinda sad after all the goodwill generated by the Force Awakens (Even if Disney will never publicly admit this they had to be aware of the backlash as some of it made mainstream media the closest we got was Disney admitting they made a mistake scheduling Solo 6 months after TLJ.) They would never admit one of their major tentpole films had issues. Personally I'm at the point now we're I'm struggling to get excited for RoS and Star Wars as a whole. I just didn't care about Star Wars after TLJ. I say this as someone who watched Revenge of the Sith 5 times at the theater in 2005. I'm kinda interested in Jedi Fallen Order but that's where my interest ends. And the reviews are gonna have to really sell me on that game.
This is a well informed opinion that demonstrates the insight of understanding. Though I don’t agree on sith...mostly because I can never fathom how the entire LFL team could have gotten so many details of prequels wrong (as in you had the story...you just had to shoot it cleverly and they failed)

There’s been some good posts in this thread...the one about rogue one was great as well.

It’s on broadcast all the time...like a lot...and I’ve been amazed at how many times I’ve been hooked for a bit. That’s rewatch capability not seen since Jedi.

Darkprime

This is a well informed opinion that demonstrates the insight of understanding. Though I don’t agree on sith...mostly because I can never fathom how the entire LFL team could have gotten so many details of prequels wrong (as in you had the story...you just had to shoot it cleverly and they failed)

There’s been some good posts in this thread...the one about rogue one was great as well.

It’s on broadcast all the time...like a lot...and I’ve been amazed at how many times I’ve been hooked for a bit. That’s rewatch capability not seen since Jedi.

Yea I should have mentioned Rogue One as well. Great movie. Tbh I kinda enjoy Solo too. It reminds me of the prequels in a good way.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Then why are there not Hispanic and Asian characters instead if it were indeed about absolute numbers ? Your numbers ploy doesn't add up

erasure fan1

the one about rogue one was great as well.

Of all the Disney star wars, Rouge one has been the one I've re-watched the most as well. Is it a coincidence that it's the one Disney star wars film that feels firmly rooted in the OT? Not at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom