Kathleen Kennedy Contract Renewed Through 2024

sedati

If a company fails to produce product and some of the major product that was produced failed to generate positive responses, it is not only natural but common sense to blame the person in charge. If you couple that with future products that are in a state of uncertainty (to put it lightly), then that adds to the harsh criticism of the leader. Thus, they have lost control over their organization and cannot effectively communicate the status of several products to the fanbase.

There is no "haters" or "false blamers" and certainly is no "vivid imagination" involved. The leader of one of the most popular franchises of all time has, for the past few years, FAILED to keep the momentum and excitement that started back when The Force Awakens came out. This could have been somewhat healed with the D+ day or the D23 weekend by announcing SOMETHING other than 1 or 2 shows. Meanwhile, the biggest competitor to SW, MCU, is going bonkers and has the most anticipated movie of the past 2 years.

Why and how is it such a stretch to put fault on the one person in charge of all of this? If credit is given to Feige for MCU's success, then fault is given to KK for LFL's failure/lackadaisical results/stop on production/ whatever you want to call it.
Is there a Star Wars trilogy that kept the momentum? They all do well, but there seems a sort of burn-out (for the general public) by the third of each set.

Adjusted for inflation:

IV: $3.26 (BILLION)
V: $1.91
VII: $1.41

I: $1.89
II: $1.05
III: $1.24

VII: $2.3
VIII: $1.39
IX: $1.12

Revenge fo the Sith bucked this trend, but just slightly.
The biggest drop-off is actually seen with the original trilogy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was gonna get to you later…I kinda agree with you

I actually don’t dislike kennedy…I don’t think she’s right for that role and her record isn’t good enough
I think Iger is the biggest culprit of the wrecking of the most anticipated sequel movies…well…ever
He did take the blame for what would have been her fault..

Rushing out Solo

Locking GE to the the sequel trilogy

erasure fan1

I actually don’t dislike kennedy…I don’t think she’s right for that role and her record isn’t good enough
Kennedy has been a part of some of the most iconic franchises ever. No one can ever take that away from her. I said back around the last jedi debacle that Kennedy would be good fit on the logistics side of things. But it hasn't worked with star wars. I don't hate Kennedy either but I think she had her shot with star wars and it didn't work for me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kennedy has been a part of some of the most iconic franchises ever. No one can ever take that away from her. I said back around the last jedi debacle that Kennedy would be good fit on the logistics side of things. But it hasn't worked with star wars. I don't hate Kennedy either but I think she had her shot with star wars and it didn't work for me.
We may be able to ALL agree…😱…that that could be her proper lane moving forward…

considering how much of an idiot Chapek is…LFL could use a strong force on the business side to get the funds…just not deciding the Stories and characters…

Jedijax719

We may be able to ALL agree…😱…that that could be her proper lane moving forward…

considering how much of an idiot Chapek is…LFL could use a strong force on the business side to get the funds…just not deciding the Stories and characters…
Totally agree. I think she's a good business woman in the movie biz. but not a creative "Force". At the time the movies were made, they didn't have one and let directors play telephone. Now they are left with what seems like an empty table as the MCU keeps racking up the balls and smacking them into the pockets with every shot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Totally agree. I think she's a good business woman in the movie biz. but not a creative "Force". At the time the movies were made, they didn't have one and let directors play telephone. Now they are left with what seems like an empty table as the MCU keeps racking up the balls and smacking them into the pockets with every shot.
Mcu’s best days are behind…me thinks…it’s also somewhat supported by declining reviews and buying of films since endgame…

plague of course affects that some.

if you had someone with a sense of Star Wars…not serving 38 masters like Jeffrey Jacob and even filoni to an extent…Star Wars could come from the back of the field and reclaim biggest pop franchise title…

but they need a new core like mcu

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are reports that rogue squadron is back on…

which is encouraging but almost the biggest no-brainer ever…

an x-wing Star Wars/top gun hybrid movie?

everyone at LFL should be fired if they can’t get this one done 👍🏻

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hollywood Reporter recently did a piece on the 100 most powerful women in entertainment, Kathleen Kennedy is on it. And in their blurb about her they do confirm that Disney re-upped her contract. So this is confirmation from a "reputable" media outlet, so its no longer just some in the weeds site reporting it.

Kathleen Kennedy

President, Lucasfilm

Steering Lucasfilm into perhaps its busiest year since the company was acquired by Disney in 2012, Kennedy is in production on Indiana Jones 5 and a Disney+ series based on the 1988 Ron Howard feature Willow — on top of a slew of Star Wars series. Obi-Wan Kenobi and the third season of Emmy titan The Mandalorian are filming, Rogue One prequel Andor just wrapped, Ahsoka is gearing up to start shooting in the spring and The Book of Boba Fett debuts in December. Disney recently re-upped Kennedy, perhaps the female exec who’s most scrutinized by movie fans in and out of Hollywood, for the second time — but setbacks on Star Wars‘ features front remain cause for concern.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hollywood Reporter recently did a piece on the 100 most powerful women in entertainment, Kathleen Kennedy is on it. And in their blurb about her they do confirm that Disney re-upped her contract. So this is confirmation from a "reputable" media outlet, so its no longer just some in the weeds site reporting it.

Kathleen Kennedy

President, Lucasfilm

Steering Lucasfilm into perhaps its busiest year since the company was acquired by Disney in 2012, Kennedy is in production on Indiana Jones 5 and a Disney+ series based on the 1988 Ron Howard feature Willow — on top of a slew of Star Wars series. Obi-Wan Kenobi and the third season of Emmy titan The Mandalorian are filming, Rogue One prequel Andor just wrapped, Ahsoka is gearing up to start shooting in the spring and The Book of Boba Fett debuts in December. Disney recently re-upped Kennedy, perhaps the female exec who’s most scrutinized by movie fans in and out of Hollywood, for the second time — but setbacks on Star Wars‘ features front remain cause for concern.
The Hollywood reporter is the same source that said they picked up her option the last time.

so that maybe 100% accurate…but it also 100% came from kennedy because disney never announced that.

at this point…it’s unlikely they’ll replace her…
Mainly because the ceo is not smart enough to do it and has much bigger problems…
…but since there’s been not a peep from corporate…they’re not exactly thrilled either.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Hollywood reporter is the same source that said they picked up her option the last time.

so that maybe 100% accurate…but it also 100% came from kennedy because disney never announced that.

at this point…it’s unlikely they’ll replace her…
Mainly because the ceo is not smart enough to do it and has much bigger problems…
…but since there’s been not a peep from corporate…they’re not exactly thrilled either.
Well Chapek telegraphed they would be renewing her contract back in March anyways, so to me that was Disney announcing it. So I don't know why anyone questioned this was happening. It just seemed like too many posters here and in the fandom were hoping, wising, and in some cases literally begging, Chapek to fire her or at least not renew her contract.

Now whether this move is smart or not, only time will tell. We still don't know if more of the creative decisions have been moved to others, such as Filoni and Favreau, or still remain partially with her.

In the end she has made lots of money for the company, and that is all that a CEO and BOD care about. Some can say they left money on the table, but when its Billions being talked about that table is already plenty large enough. How the fandom "feels" about it is something they aren't all that interested in. I know that is hard to hear but its the truth, money rules Hollywood, a statement as old as the business itself.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now whether this move is smart or not, only time will tell. We still don't know if more of the creative decisions have been moved to others, such as Filoni and Favreau, or still remain partially with her.
this is all that matters…the rest is you and the 3 other peeps that have defended her on Star Wars threads the last couple of years grandstanding…

let me refresh you:

1. a mountain of mistakes have been made…there’s no counter to that given the state of the ip - particularly the movie side.

2. She is not being abused or mistreated by the fans - just being held to account. For what? Her arrogance and that of LFL and Robert Iger believing they “knew what’s best” for the most fan loyal pop franchise in history. The word is “hubris”. Textbook.

3. there is a role from her…just the right one. She’s experienced and savvy…in the right lane.

its not giving movies to that idiot johnson…or fighting with patty Jenkins…or “bringing Rey back” 🙄

…you failed all that crap. Move on…show you’re the right person by turning the page.

It’s a film studio that peddles fan Franchises…stop peeing into the wind.

merry Christmas

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
this is all that matters…the rest is you and the 3 other peeps that have defended her on Star Wars threads the last couple of years grandstanding…

let me refresh you:

1. a mountain of mistakes have been made…there’s no counter to that given the state of the ip - particularly the movie side.

2. She is not being abused or mistreated by the fans - just being held to account. For what? Her arrogance and that of LFL and Robert Iger believing they “knew what’s best” for the most fan loyal pop franchise in history. The word is “hubris”. Textbook.

3. there is a role from her…just the right one. She’s experienced and savvy…in the right lane.

its not giving movies to that idiot johnson…or fighting with patty Jenkins…or “bringing Rey back” 🙄

…you failed all that crap. Move on…show you’re the right person by turning the page.

It’s a film studio that peddles fan Franchises…stop peeing into the wind.

merry Christmas
And you and others can continue to berate her decisions until the sun burns out. It still doesn’t change the fact that 1. she has lead the studio good or bad to bring in Billions for the company, 2. Disney has not only renewed her contract once but twice and will likely continue to do so as long as she wants.

I understand that you think she has her “place”, but the fact remains she is still the head of the studio. Period, full stop.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And you and others can continue to berate her decisions until the sun burns out. It still doesn’t change the fact that 1. she has lead the studio good or bad to bring in Billions for the company, 2. Disney has not only renewed her contract once but twice and will likely continue to do so as long as she wants.

I understand that you think she has her “place”, but the fact remains she is still the head of the studio. Period, full stop.
And it’s 5 o’clock somewhere…

we won’t agree fully…but we agree a lot more than we did 2 years ago.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
And it’s 5 o’clock somewhere…

we won’t agree fully…but we agree a lot more than we did 2 years ago.
The main thing I agree with is that the Star Wars movies could be a lot better. But the same could be said about a lot of Hollywood movies and franchises, this isn't isolated to Star Wars or who runs LFL.

Honestly if you want to place blame, place it squarely on the public. The same public that yells and screams into the void of the internet is the same public out there spending money on the very thing they yell and scream about. Its the reason why Hollywood continues to put out mediocre product year after year. So again this isn't isolated to Star Wars, its across the entire Hollywood machine.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly if you want to place blame, place it squarely on the public. The same public that yells and screams into the void of the internet is the same public out there spending money on the very thing they yell and scream about. Its the reason why Hollywood continues to put out mediocre product year after year. So again this isn't isolated to Star Wars, its across the entire Hollywood machine.
So the fanboy excuse?

no…not gonna get off that hook with that blanket excuse from the Clinton era…

disney spent $4 bil on something, but put together a plan without ever studying why it was successful in the first place. Their entire approach was “modernization”…which is ok if you do a story. They did a remake and then let it flop afterward. That was beyond stupidity level.
It sent the message to billions (literally) of people that they were somehow wrong to like it in the first place.

this was Bob iger’s billion dollar net worth job. Instead of taking some time or ID’ing why it worked would have been prudent. Instead they mined the past - to a degree - for current outrage. That never works.

how much of that is on KK? We can’t be sure…but she carried out her role in that error.

This is probably why the prequels (gulp) seem to be more accepted now in comparison. I’m not talking about comic con all access pass goers - I’m talking normal Joes.

lucas tried to exploit his franchise for money aimed at children…that seems to be more acceptable than trying to retcon the whole thing and killing the main characters in beyond unmemorable fashion while you do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom