Kali River Rapids closing for refurbishment in early 2013

wsmith1978

This sucks......my buddy has never been on it and I really like this ride. The risk of going in Jan/Feb though.

Yeah, I'm disappointed too, as I will be there then. I joke, but I really do enjoy this ride. Really bummed about Splash Mountain and the Mad Tea Party being closed, though. I hate to see any ride closed while I'm there, but like you said, that's part of the risk of going at that time of year. You trade in the crowds for the refurbs.

fw1987

They should redesign it. Take out the miserable drop that literally soaks 3 people per raft to the level of discomfort and expand the layout to have more cascading rapids. The reason nobody rides it is because unless it's in the dead of summer, not many people want to be completely soaked. I gut the ride out a few times per trip but really don't look forward to it.

Let's face it, the ride is another missed opportunity at WDW. Could be a really nice attraction but instead it's short, wet and miserable.

PUSH

Last time I went on this ride was in 2011. We went in the morning and used ponchos. People told us that ponchos wouldn't help, but they really did! We went on three or four times in a row and the CMs kept saying "You're back again??" I enjoy the ride, just need some ponchos! ;)

Patricia Melton

They should redesign it. Take out the miserable drop that literally soaks 3 people per raft to the level of discomfort and expand the layout to have more cascading rapids. The reason nobody rides it is because unless it's in the dead of summer, not many people want to be completely soaked. I gut the ride out a few times per trip but really don't look forward to it.

Let's face it, the ride is another missed opportunity at WDW. Could be a really nice attraction but instead it's short, wet and miserable.

I have only been on this attraction once because I was one of the people who were drenched. It was a cool day too, so I was very uncomfortable and had to go back to the hotel to change. I ended up not even going back that day since it was such a hike to get to DAK.

Since then, I have avoided rides with a good chance of getting me soaked!

MerlinTheGoat

I find myself somewhat enjoying Kali as I like this sort of ride. It has some nice atmosphere, like most of Animal Kingdom. But it's not really up to classic Disney's standards, especially considering what was once intended to be in its place- Tiger River. I know it will never happen but i'd love to see the ride eventually restructured into the original concept. I wouldn't mind toning down the wetness factor at all in favor of a much longer and more meaningful ride through various animal habitats and ancient ruins.

Last time I went on this ride was in 2011. We went in the morning and used ponchos. People told us that ponchos wouldn't help, but they really did! We went on three or four times in a row and the CMs kept saying "You're back again??" I enjoy the ride, just need some ponchos! ;)
I've ridden a number of times even with a poncho, it's still a big gamble. You can somewhat protect yourself from the majority of the ride by wearing a poncho as you said as well as putting your feet up on the mid section to avoid soaked feet. But if you go down backwards on the drop, I've found that no amount of preparation will keep you from getting drenched. Unless you wrapped yourself from head to toe in plastic (which is annoying), I don't see how it's possible to come away from that drop soaked. I've been on the ride numerous times again with a poncho and it didn't help as long as your side hits the end of the falls.

Patricia Melton

Does anyone know a good link to a description of what "Tiger River" was supposed to be like?

I see people refer to it here and there, and I know that Kali River Rapids is a scaled down version of the original plan, but I don't know much about what the original plan was.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

PUSH

I've ridden a number of times even with a poncho, it's still a big gamble. You can somewhat protect yourself from the majority of the ride by wearing a poncho as you said as well as putting your feet up on the mid section to avoid soaked feet. But if you go down backwards on the drop, I've found that no amount of preparation will keep you from getting drenched. Unless you wrapped yourself from head to toe in plastic (which is annoying), I don't see how it's possible to come away from that drop soaked. I've been on the ride numerous times again with a poncho and it didn't help as long as your side hits the end of the falls.

I took the hood of the poncho and held it out on the drop so my face didn't get wet. I don't know what I did, but I came away not being soaked. And I believe I went down backwards on the drop once. My shoes did get a bit wet though I remember. Maybe I'm just a lucky one. :confused:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does anyone know a good link to a description of what "Tiger River" was supposed to be like?

I see people refer to it here and there, and I know that Kali River Rapids is a scaled down version of the original plan, but I don't know much about what the original plan was.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?
Try a search. Art exists, and I posted a map a few years back.

Patricia Melton

Try a search. Art exists, and I posted a map a few years back.

I tried a search and could not find anything. That's why I asked.

It's nice of you to point out that you "posted a map a few years back"...but it would have been nicer if you'd either repost the map or link to it. The next pot luck dinner I go to I'm going to channel you and say "I baked a cake a few years back".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom