Trip Report Jut on in! 40-year-old Best Friends' POFQ Trip, June 2019 *COMPLETED*

Hello, all!! Just got back yesterday from the World (but WHY?! is the trip over already?! I will never understand...), and I'm ready to begin our Trip Report!!

For those of you who want a refresher, or who didn't see it, HERE is our Pre-Trip report, but to summarize:

WHO: My best friend P (just turned 40 in May), and me- Amber (40). P and I went to HS together, 1 year apart, but weren't friends. We became friends when we worked together at my college bookstore in the summers after graduation. In 2001, while working at the bookstore, P (who had been to WDW several times as a child) and I (never had been) planned a trip, along with another friend of P's. This was my first trip, and I was hooked!! From then on I became the Disney expert in our friendship as the years went on and altogether before this trip, she and I (with varying combinations of friends and family members as well) went to the World 5 times (though a couple of these were just 1 day visits). We hadn't been for a full week since 2006, so we figured our 40th birthday year was time to rectify this.

This is P and I in November 2018, as she and her wife, and my husband and I happened to be in the World at the same time and met up for a few minutes:

WHERE: Port Orleans French Quarter! I've always loved the look and smallness of this resort, but had not ever stayed here, as it isn't one my husband really ever wants to stay at. So I figured this was a good opportunity to stay there. I really loved our resort!

WHEN: Saturday, June 15th- Saturday, June 22nd. I was really excited to be going for a full week!

Hope you'll join me!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I mean, it houses my favorite ride (RnRC) but I would be perfectly happy just hanging out on Sunset Blvd doing nothing but listening to the music, and seeing the lights.

Welcome!
When I have to do something mundane, i.e., normal life, I listen to the Hollywood blvd music loop. My kids think I am nuts but it makes me happy. And time flies.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Continuing on..

After lunch, we did a little more shopping. I found a hat I like, and bought. Do I look like a tourist, or what?

(side note: see that water bottle clipped to my bag? P bought us each one for the trip. She would lose hers about 5 minutes after this picture, when she dropped her phone, credit cards and apparently the water bottle in one of the shops. We picked up her phone and cards, but didn't know the bottle was missing until later. That evening when we returned, we did go back to the shop and ask for it, as well as to Guest Relations, but no luck. I really got a lot of usage out of mine, and it was a life saver on the really hot days later in the week!! Recommend!)

So a last look for now up the street, and then we went back to POFQ.

Upon waking from naps, we had a goal in mind at our resort.

I'll let the shirt that we saw in the FQ gift shop tell you...

Specifically, boozy ones! You could choose rumchata, Kahlua, or Bailey's I believe. We went with the rumchata. They're served at the bar. While we waited we attempted some checkers, but it had been so long for either of us, that I don't think we did it right...

Oh well, it didn't take long for our beignets to come out, warm and delicious. You inject the rumchata into the beignets yourself. We really enjoyed these!!

I texted DH to tell him we had boozy beignets, and his reply was "oh boy". I mean, I don't know what he was worried about?

We were on a bus, heading back to Hollywood for the night!

riverside

Premium Member
I would highly recommend it!!

Btw, we only made it over to Riverside once, so I could show P around. I did look for you, but no luck. I anticipated going over more but it just didn't happen.
I'm looking forward to them!! Do you know what time that bar opens? I know The River Roost(the indoor bar at POR) doesn't open until 5:00. I wouldn't want to make a wasted trip down there!! ;)

I went to FQ twice every morning on my daily walk. We started every morning at 6:00 so I didn't see too many people out & about but I did keep an eye out for you!! Also, if the heat had anything to do with it I can see why you only made it to Riverside once. Quite a few days it was very hard to take.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm looking forward to them!! Do you know what time that bar opens? I know The River Roost(the indoor bar at POR) doesn't open until 5:00. I wouldn't want to make a wasted trip down there!! ;)

I went to FQ twice every morning on my daily walk. We started every morning at 6:00 so I didn't see too many people out & about but I did keep an eye out for you!! Also, if the heat had anything to do with it I can see why you only made it to Riverside once. Quite a few days it was very hard to take.

I think it opens at 4pm.

Yes, it definitely was!! We used an internal bus to get there since it was raining, so there weren't too many people out there either :hilarious:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Upon our arrival back at Hollywood Studios, P had worked up the courage to try Tower of Terror. This was a BIG. DEAL. She's always wanted to try but felt comfortable enough with me, her best friend, rather than any other people she's traveled with, so I was honored.

As we walked through the queue, she admired the beauty of the hotel, and all of the detail.

I could sense her tension when we got up to the first set of doors, but I reassured her that this was the preshow and that we wouldn't drop yet. I told her about the process that the elevator does go through and when to expect the drop.

So...how did she do?? (apologies for the quality of the photo, it was taken of the monitors)

SHE BIT ME.

But she did it, and I was so proud that I didn't mind.

She said she would probably never do it again.

We were amused by the little boy behind her apparently going through the same thing.

Rista1313

Upon our arrival back at Hollywood Studios, P had worked up the courage to try Tower of Terror. This was a BIG. DEAL. She's always wanted to try but felt comfortable enough with me, her best friend, rather than any other people she's traveled with, so I was honored.View attachment 385067

As we walked through the queue, she admired the beauty of the hotel, and all of the detail.

View attachment 385068

View attachment 385070

I could sense her tension when we got up to the first set of doors, but I reassured her that this was the preshow and that we wouldn't drop yet. I told her about the process that the elevator does go through and when to expect the drop.

So...how did she do?? (apologies for the quality of the photo, it was taken of the monitors)

View attachment 385066

SHE BIT ME.

But she did it, and I was so proud that I didn't mind.

She said she would probably never do it again.

We were amused by the little boy behind her apparently going through the same thing.

The boy looks like he's gonna hurl!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Continuing on..

After lunch, we did a little more shopping. I found a hat I like, and bought. Do I look like a tourist, or what?

(side note: see that water bottle clipped to my bag? P bought us each one for the trip. She would lose hers about 5 minutes after this picture, when she dropped her phone, credit cards and apparently the water bottle in one of the shops. We picked up her phone and cards, but didn't know the bottle was missing until later. That evening when we returned, we did go back to the shop and ask for it, as well as to Guest Relations, but no luck. I really got a lot of usage out of mine, and it was a life saver on the really hot days later in the week!! Recommend!)

View attachment 385012

So a last look for now up the street, and then we went back to POFQ.
View attachment 384990

Upon waking from naps, we had a goal in mind at our resort.
View attachment 385003

View attachment 385014

I'll let the shirt that we saw in the FQ gift shop tell you...
View attachment 385006

Specifically, boozy ones! You could choose rumchata, Kahlua, or Bailey's I believe. We went with the rumchata. They're served at the bar. While we waited we attempted some checkers, but it had been so long for either of us, that I don't think we did it right...
View attachment 385007

View attachment 385011

Oh well, it didn't take long for our beignets to come out, warm and delicious. You inject the rumchata into the beignets yourself. We really enjoyed these!!
View attachment 385008

View attachment 385013

I texted DH to tell him we had boozy beignets, and his reply was "oh boy". I mean, I don't know what he was worried about?
View attachment 385010

We were on a bus, heading back to Hollywood for the night!
The Rumchata never would have made it into the beignets. It would have been injected directly into my mouth!!! And on an only slightly related topic. Have you ever had Rumchata and Godivas chocolate liquor??? It is literally to die for. Especially with a side of Mickey Beignets!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After ToT, P said she'd hang out on Sunset Blvd while I joined the single rider line for Rock N' Roller Coaster. P DEFINITELY doesn't do rides that go upside-down.

The line wasn't very long at all, and in no time we were being encouraged by the CM (a young guy) to "fill all available space. If you know the person in front of you, there shouldn't be space between you. If you don't know them, leave some space--they're strangers, dude." and then when the doors were about to open to the recording studio: "LOL (yes he literally said LOL) I love you, don't get hit by the doors, I will get fired"

After riding on a really fast car, I met up with P. This is what the sky looked like as we walked toward Muppets...quite menacing.

As I walked over to take this picture, I overheard a woman telling a man, as she was tugging him away, that Hollywood & Vine "is not Johnny Rockets"??

I needed a little snack, and sometimes you just need some Disney World popcorn. This, however, was stale. Not that I didn't eat some of it, but I definitely didn't finish it.

Turns out we missed the Muppets show, but we looked around the shop- P is a big Kermit fan. She was very sad about how little of the shop actually is dedicated to the Muppets anymore...

Obviously the rain started too.

P hadn't ever been in PizzeRizzo, so we opened the door and went in. There was absolutely no one in there, but since it was open I figured it would be ok to look around. I led P upstairs to show her the best area, and we looked around and took some pics. (@Tuvalu , P and I both love to sing some Journey, and I'd told her the time that DH and I ate in there, it was playing). A CM came up and said "can I help you?" and I said "no, just looking and taking some pictures", to which she replied "well, there is a CM at the doors to let you out as we're closed". I informed her the door was open, but went back downstairs and out.

After this, we headed toward our dinner destination-- 50s Prime Time Cafe! One of my favorites!

While waiting for our name to be called, I looked to see if Phil was there (he was the older gentleman host that seated us a few years back, and then was still there the last time we went), but didn't see him. He is the sweetest! However, the girl that seated us looked like an older Maisie Williams to me.

I was thrilled with our experience this time, so much fun interaction, not just with our table but all around. The room next to us had a server who was hilarious!! Later in the meal, he must've noticed that we were peeking through the shelves because he startled us by putting his head through when we didn't know it. We both screamed! When I asked if I could take a picture, he said yes but didn't stay in the shelf like I wanted. He said "am I just here for your entertainment?" This is how he posed:

Highlights were: a waitress singing "Happy Birthday" to a table...very poorly. Another waitress walking by our table just as I'd stuffed a huge bite of my pot roast in my mouth. She said loudly "did you get it all in there?! That's why we give you knives!!" P got yelled at for being on her phone, and we both had our elbows on the table. Then a waitress came over to compliment P on her glasses and asked where she got them. P informed her "the internet", so then we had to explain what the internet was to her.

All around, a wonderful time! And one of my favorite foods on property:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some more pics to wrap up the day:

My grandmother had this exact clock

Remember my clean Cobb Salad plate from earlier? Boom.

We got a peanut butter & jelly milkshake to go, which I had most of because P can't eat and drink in the same meal.

With that, we decided to head out ahead of the Fantasmic and Star Wars show crowds. Even the bus stops at HS make me happy!

Another fun day, rain and all! Next up, Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, June 18th

Magic Kingdom day! Look at that happy sky!!

I asked P if she'd ever heard the gossiping lady on the phone in the Chapeau, and she had not.

We meandered through the Confectionery and enjoyed the sights and smells.

P got in the Starbucks line, so I took more pictures.

I am a crazy cat lady for sure, so I admired the Disney cat merch

Today, we would begin in Tomorrowland! First up, rope drop Buzz, once the park opened. Most of the people headed to TL were going to Space, but we had a FP for later.

continued in next post...too many pics

krisri18

Some more pics to wrap up the day:

View attachment 385103

My grandmother had this exact clock
View attachment 385104

Remember my clean Cobb Salad plate from earlier? Boom.
View attachment 385119

We got a peanut butter & jelly milkshake to go, which I had most of because P can't eat and drink in the same meal.
View attachment 385109

With that, we decided to head out ahead of the Fantasmic and Star Wars show crowds. Even the bus stops at HS make me happy!
View attachment 385112

Another fun day, rain and all! Next up, Magic Kingdom!
Did you get a Clean Plate Club sticker?

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I forgot to add this picture to the last post, taken in the Confectionery

We left off at Buzz. P just likes to spin the vehicle, but I did manage to beat her

Next, since we were in the vicinity, a relaxing morning ride aboard the Peoplemover was in order. P has a flair for the dramatic, so this is how it was boarded...

Good morning, beautiful!

TRON progress-

I just love these trees!

Space was up next. This would be one of I think 3 times we'd ride it this trip, as it seems to have become P's favorite!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We looked at the wait times on the app, and decided to walk toward Little Mermaid, as it had a non-existant wait.

To me, this is one of the prettiest and well done queues, theme-wise. I love all of the lights, the rope, shells, sea creatures, etc

IMG_9575.JPG

During the ride, we got stopped right at the "Kiss the Girl" scene, which is my favorite song, so of course I was happy!

When we exited, I was craving a LeFou's Brew. P hadn't ever had one, so we walked in that direction, when who should we see out?

GASTON!!

And, no one in line!! Surely, I thought, that must mean the line was closed and that he would be taking a break. NOPE. Giddily we ran over to him. We had a fun conversation with him.

In one, he said that there are many words that could be used to describe him...perfect, magnificent....to which P said "an 11?". Gaston looked puzzled and said he didn't think he could count that high.

He admired our matching shirts and said that he had the perfect pair "right here" and flexed!

Prepare for Gaston picture overload...

I love this one:

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
He uses antlers in all of his decorating!

P really liked the LeFou's Brew--it's always been a favorite of mine, so refreshing.

We shared a large table with an older couple who were from Pittsburgh, so we chatted about our home state for a bit, and the Penguins. They had some FP at attractions, but didn't know where they were, so we gave them directions.

Teacups were up next!

While P went for a restroom break, I took some photos in Fantasyland

P wanted to meet some princesses, so we joined the standby line for Tiana and Rapunzel.

We told Tiana that we were staying in her neck of the woods, and that we enjoyed her boozy beignets.

Rapunzel was kind enough to record a birthday message for my niece who turned 3 the day prior. I'll have to figure out how to post it, it's adorable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom