Just wondering how breaks work?

ZambeziZelda

Original Poster
The title pretty much says it all...I was curious as to how breaks are structured at Walt Disney World. At my current job, Wasington State law says at least a payed 10 minute break every 4 hours, and an unpaid 30 minute break every 5 hours. Is the WDW way similar?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Depends where you work. But, yes its pretty similiar.

Attractions hosts tend to get two 15min breaks and a 45min lunch. Front desk hosts tend to get a 30min break and a 30min lunch.

togasports

mousermerf said:
Depends where you work. But, yes its pretty similiar.

Attractions hosts tend to get two 15min breaks and a 45min lunch. Front desk hosts tend to get a 30min break and a 30min lunch.

That is true for the most part, but the amt of time for lunch does vary. As for when your breaks are, you must pray and bow to the CDS Gods

jimmybop

togasports said:
That is true for the most part, but the amt of time for lunch does vary. As for when your breaks are, you must pray and bow to the CDS Gods

CDS (Cast Deployment System) Gods is right..... For Merch at World Of Disney, we got two(2) 30min breaks per 8.5 hours scheduled (30min paid, 30 unpaid, so you end up w/ 8 hours)

At some point after that... you get 2 30mins and 1 15min break.... and if you work even longer you get 3 30mins breaks....

But in turn, if you work only 6 hours you will only get one 30min break (not sure if it paid or unpaid though).

but each location is diffrent though as not everyone uses CDS. Some places (such as Ride OPS and Lifeguards) do Rotations. you go from spot to spot to spot and end up in a break during the rotation.

Darwin

Taryn, when I did custodial at DAK breaks depended on hours worked. If I recall correctly, 6 hours was one 15 min break, 7 hours two 15 min break, 8 hours or more two 15 min breaks one 30 min lunch unpaid. Something like that, it may have changed. You just clock in when you start and clock out at the end of the shift and they adjust the lunch. They also specified at what times you take your breaks so not every one goes at the same time and to also coordinate them with trash runs, parade routes clean up, or whatever.

typhoonguy

jimmybop said:
CDS (Cast Deployment System) Gods is right..... For Merch at World Of Disney, we got two(2) 30min breaks per 8.5 hours scheduled (30min paid, 30 unpaid, so you end up w/ 8 hours)

At some point after that... you get 2 30mins and 1 15min break.... and if you work even longer you get 3 30mins breaks....

But in turn, if you work only 6 hours you will only get one 30min break (not sure if it paid or unpaid though).

but each location is diffrent though as not everyone uses CDS. Some places (such as Ride OPS and Lifeguards) do Rotations. you go from spot to spot to spot and end up in a break during the rotation.
WOD CDS Gods... interesting..... I know one of the old ones... very well in fact... don't recall hearing THAT name though.

CrashNet

In Attractions for me it was like this:

6 Hours: two 15 minute paid breaks
7 Hours: two 15 minute paid breaks and one 45 minute lunch (unpaid)
10 Hours: three 15 minute paid breaks and one 45 minute lunch (unpaid)
14 Hours: four 15 minutes paid breaks and one 45 minute lunch (unpaid)

After 14 hours, which doesn't happen often by the way, our coordinators usually worked something out so you could get to eat lunch and dinner. Anything can be overridden.

Its basically designed to give you a break every two hours or so, but as said earlier, the CDS buddha controls all.

MMP

When I was in QSR we got a 15 min, break for working 6 hours.
A 45 min. break for working 7 hours
A 60 min. meal break for 8 hours plus a 15 min. break.
If you worked 12 hours you got two 15 min. and a 60 min.

DisneyBride94

Such an interesting topic! :) Always wondered about the characters in their hot costumes... indoor breaks in A/C vs. out in the hot Florida sun....

joanna71985

DisneyBride94 said:
Such an interesting topic! :) Always wondered about the characters in their hot costumes... indoor breaks in A/C vs. out in the hot Florida sun....

Outside during the summer is 20 minutes. And inside is 40 minutes.

packwingfn

For Custodial, when you take your one or two 15 minute breaks, do you have notify someone, like a partner or a boss or can you just disappear into the break room without notfiying anyone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom