Just Returned Home, a Few Observations & Questions

miles1

Original Poster
We arrived home at 4:30AM today (after the drive from hell) after a week in the World and we had a fantastic time, as usual. Please understand that this was our first trip in three years, so some of these observations, some good, some bad, will seem to be old news for most of you. Feel free to comment or just rip me apart if it suits you. :

--We stayed off-site this trip. A single room just doesn't work for our family any more. After a little shopping, for $500.00 we got 6 nights in a 1400sf, three bedroom condo at Windsor Hills, which was safe and beautifully kept. A similar place on the property would have probably would have cost five times that. I love the Disney resorts, but I think they've hit the breaking point with their prices.

--The parks looked great!. Everything looked clean and well kept and I was hard-pressed to find any missing effects on any of the attractions. (There is the Yeti, of course, but with my glasses off I could have been in the dentists office anyway). There were some effects that had been inoperative for so long I didn't even remember they existed.

--Every single CM we met and talked with was polite, professional, and seemed really enthused about what they were doing. No attitudes whatsoever. My 10 year old daughter had designed and made our own "Perry" hats (see avatar) and several CM's went out of their way to complement her ingenuity. Thanks to Josh at Star Tours, who gave us fastpasses for her originality. We even got a complement from a stone-faced host at the Haunted Mansion. The attention made DD very proud.

--Transportation in general was a bit of a let down. As others have posted, the monorails were troublesome and it seems like the parking trams are getting fewer in number and less frequent.

--I think its time that TDO considers going back to running the MK evening parade and/or fireworks twice each night, every night, as they did years ago. With just one showing, every guest in the park winds up shoulder-to-shoulder in the same small area with CM's yelling at them to stay within a taped box. Then everybody tries to leave the park at the same time, overwhelming the monorail and ferry. Tempers were flaring and it really ended the day on a sour note for us.

--For some reason, we all enjoyed the Studios much more than in previous years. Perhaps TDO is heading in the right direction with the entertainment/attraction mix?

--Loved the new Star Tours. We rode twice and got completely different story lines.

--Space Mountain- It was my first ride after the refurb a couple of years ago. The queue and scenery look much improved and it certainly is darker and feels faster. However, the track is getting really rough-to the point that it was getting a little painful for someone my age. (Just for reference, I really enjoyed RNRC.) Both my son and I felt one point where the car's rollers seemed to leave the track then slammed back down. I actually sat out a second ride while the kids went on just because of it.

--I couldn't visualize how big the FLE was until I saw it. Very impressive.

--The lighting in HM seems much darker that it was, making it tough to see some of the great details in the scenes. Was the lighting purposely dimmed recently?

--Lots of construction walls at the TTC. Is this for major changes or just re-paving?

--Saw HOP for the first time in many years. The attraction itself looks great. I know that WDW is a place of diversity and can accept that, but it would probably be a good idea to have a host(ess) than can speak clear English making the announcements.

--We saw LMA with the new Lightening McQueen sequence. It seems to be flowing much better than it did in the early videos posted here. It's still a little awkward, but the kids in the audience seemed to love it and in the end that's what matters. It seemed like there were many new effects here since the last time I saw it, and the show moved along much, much better.
The only mystery for me is where they found a 1972 AMC Gremlin that runs?

--$8.25 for a rain poncho? Really???

--Greater Orlando. No offense to locals, but what the hell happened here? Every single news story we read or saw on TV was about shootings, child abuse, or robbery. Is this just the media coverage of the area or has the crime rate gotten that bad?

So there's my trip report. Feel free to discuss.

Miles.

mrg1106

In the Parks
No
We arrived home at 4:30AM today (after the drive from hell) after a week in the World and we had a fantastic time, as usual. Please understand that this was our first trip in three years, so some of these observations, some good, some bad, will seem to be old news for most of you. Feel free to comment or just rip me apart if it suits you. :

--We stayed off-site this trip. A single room just doesn't work for our family any more. After a little shopping, for $500.00 we got 6 nights in a 1400sf, three bedroom condo at Windsor Hills, which was safe and beautifully kept. A similar place on the property would have probably would have cost five times that. I love the Disney resorts, but I think they've hit the breaking point with their prices.

--The parks looked great!. Everything looked clean and well kept and I was hard-pressed to find any missing effects on any of the attractions. (There is the Yeti, of course, but with my glasses off I could have been in the dentists office anyway). There were some effects that had been inoperative for so long I didn't even remember they existed.

--Every single CM we met and talked with was polite, professional, and seemed really enthused about what they were doing. No attitudes whatsoever. My 10 year old daughter had designed and made our own "Perry" hats (see avatar) and several CM's went out of their way to complement her ingenuity. Thanks to Josh at Star Tours, who gave us fastpasses for her originality. We even got a complement from a stone-faced host at the Haunted Mansion. The attention made DD very proud.

--Transportation in general was a bit of a let down. As others have posted, the monorails were troublesome and it seems like the parking trams are getting fewer in number and less frequent.

--I think its time that TDO considers going back to running the MK evening parade and/or fireworks twice each night, every night, as they did years ago. With just one showing, every guest in the park winds up shoulder-to-shoulder in the same small area with CM's yelling at them to stay within a taped box. Then everybody tries to leave the park at the same time, overwhelming the monorail and ferry. Tempers were flaring and it really ended the day on a sour note for us.

--For some reason, we all enjoyed the Studios much more than in previous years. Perhaps TDO is heading in the right direction with the entertainment/attraction mix?

--Loved the new Star Tours. We rode twice and got completely different story lines.

--Space Mountain- It was my first ride after the refurb a couple of years ago. The queue and scenery look much improved and it certainly is darker and feels faster. However, the track is getting really rough-to the point that it was getting a little painful for someone my age. (Just for reference, I really enjoyed RNRC.) Both my son and I felt one point where the car's rollers seemed to leave the track then slammed back down. I actually sat out a second ride while the kids went on just because of it.

--I couldn't visualize how big the FLE was until I saw it. Very impressive.

--The lighting in HM seems much darker that it was, making it tough to see some of the great details in the scenes. Was the lighting purposely dimmed recently?

--Lots of construction walls at the TTC. Is this for major changes or just re-paving?

--Saw HOP for the first time in many years. The attraction itself looks great. I know that WDW is a place of diversity and can accept that, but it would probably be a good idea to have a host(ess) than can speak clear English making the announcements.

--We saw LMA with the new Lightening McQueen sequence. It seems to be flowing much better than it did in the early videos posted here. It's still a little awkward, but the kids in the audience seemed to love it and in the end that's what matters. It seemed like there were many new effects here since the last time I saw it, and the show moved along much, much better.
The only mystery for me is where they found a 1972 AMC Gremlin that runs?

--Greater Orlando. No offense to locals, but what the hell happened here? Every single news story we read or saw on TV was about shootings, child abuse, or robbery. Is this just the media coverage of the area or has the crime rate gotten that bad?

So there's my trip report. Feel free to discuss.

Miles.

Your trip report is actually pretty good. The only thing I disagreed with was not staying at a Disney hotel and sitting out of Space Mountain.

I think you shouldve stayed at a Disney hotel just because but maybe thats just me.

Skipping Space Mountain? Come on man haha, nah jk with you. It did get a little rougher with the refurb but I think the ride is much improved.

As for your last two notes, rain ponchos suck first off; I hate buying them bc they cost a lot and Im never gonna use it again. Me and my cousin went from August 4th to the 9th and we only got rained on the last two nights we were there.

The Florida area is pretty crime-driven actually and its surprising. I think the crime rate has always been bad but if you watch enough of the news, they cover a lot of stuff like shootings, arrests, etc.

Im glad you had a great time though. Its always depressing when it hits the final day in WDW; however, thats why its always great to plan ahead for the next trip :sohappy::king::)

isman250

Good report, I am not sure what TTC is b/c I dont know all the lingo yet. I havent seen the lightning mcqueen so hopefully Ill see that in a day or 2. My fiance" hates starwars and stuff so I hope I can convince her to get on it twice.

invader

Great report! Glad it was such a great trip for you. Coming from a local, the stories are sadly, normal. Take and look at how large the area is (Sanford, Celebration, Kissimee, Orlando itself, East Orlando, Pine Hills, I-Drive area, etc.) but as mrg said, how could you skip out a second time on Space Mountain?! It's like the best ride in Tomorrowland!

Mukta

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your trip!

What did you think of the new hitchhiking ghosts on the HM?

BigRedDad

$8.25 for a poncho is based on captive pricing. I'd be less concerned with the 8x mark up for a poncho than the 120x mark up on soda. I know a bottle may cost a dollar at your local store, but $2.50 or more is still insane. The cost of the liquid inside is only about $0.01-$0.02.

Many news channels only show this stuff because it gains viewers. It has less to do about news and more to do about numbers. This is our society. We prefer seeing people killed than we do about the Cinderella story.

Nice post. I will be there in 5 weeks to enjoy what you just experienced.

Mongomil

Well never go golfing if your complaining about the price of soda. At the corse it was $4.75 for a 12oz. can. But it was nice to hear that the parks looked great and the CM's were in a great mood. Can not wait to try out Star Tours. Be there soon. :sohappy::sohappy:

Tom Morrow

Good update! Couple comments:

- I don't think HM was darkened. Did you come in quickly from bright sunlight? If your eyes haven't adjusted it can be hard to see, but I find if I ride it at night everything is very easy to see.

- Thats odd that you found Space Mountain too rough. Ever since the refurbishment I have found it to be significantly smoother than before the refurbishment.

- Over the summer they were running two parades and Wishes was not right at park close. This helps reduce that annoying park exit fiasco, but I agree that when Wishes is at park close, it creates total chaos.

- It isn't just Orlando, every local news program is all doom and gloom, basically. Downtown Orlando may be a bad area, but any of the areas you might see on vacation are fine.

Chrononymous

Thanks for a good report...

You addressed one of my concerns about the roughness of Space Mountain post refurb. I had some physical issues last time I rode it,(before they did anything to it) and it looks like I may have to sit out on this one next time I go. Bummer.:(

I do want to say that your avatar is made of awesome...and I adore your Perry hats! You have a really talented kid!

JillC LI

I finally braved Space Mtn for the first time this past March. My hubby and kids said that the ride was smoother on the FP loading side than on the standby loading side. So I only rode it with a FP, and yes it was a tad rough for my tastes but not terrible. I rode it one more time with a FP on that trip as well. Maybe if you tried the standby side, you could try the FP side next time?

worldfanatic

Nice report.

I've not terribly surprised about the local news being so grim.
But I'd never be aware of that on my visits.
Because the local news is the absolute last thing I'd be watching while in my "Heavenly Bubble" of Disney World.:animwink:

jjharvpro

Happy to hear you had a great trip!

-- I found Space Mountain more intense this past trip, in a good way.(but for me, I actually think the new sound effects did it! Thought they made a nice addition.) I don't find it necessarily rough, but I understand where you're coming from.

-- Though you said it was still a bit awkward, glad to hear the LMA Lightning McQueen segment isn't quite as cringe-worthy as many said on here.

--Right as you walk into the Stretching Portraits room in HM, it can still be very dark, but by the time you walk to the Doom Buggies, the lighting is fine for me!

-- Poncho prices are ridiculous.. That's why we pack our own every trip, just in case.

Thanks for the great trip report!

Jedi Wizard

Great update. I agree with you that SM seems to be rougher than it used to be. I road it a few months ago for the first time since the refurb. The time before that it was closed to the refurb so it had been a few years and I thought some of the turns were brutal. Still a lot of fun and I am looking forward to riding it again next week when I return.

But when I got off I felt like I had ridden Primeval Whirl more than something like RnRC or BTM.

Missymoe4

$8.25 for a poncho is based on captive pricing. I'd be less concerned with the 8x mark up for a poncho than the 120x mark up on soda. I know a bottle may cost a dollar at your local store, but $2.50 or more is still insane. The cost of the liquid inside is only about $0.01-$0.02.

Many news channels only show this stuff because it gains viewers. It has less to do about news and more to do about numbers. This is our society. We prefer seeing people killed than we do about the Cinderella story.

Nice post. I will be there in 5 weeks to enjoy what you just experienced.

Reminds me of our limo driver we had a month ago on our WDW trip...talking about the Brazilian Pipeline that kidnaps women and children from Orlando and the surrounding area and brings them to Brazil to be sold into slavery. What a loser story (and being from Chicago, not all too worried about the threat of being kidnapped in WDW while on property...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom