Just returned from WDW and side visit to Universal

ColoradoDWFan

Original Poster
Just returned from a 11/29-12/4 visit to WDW. Also spent one day at Uni and IOA. The parks were incredible. Other than Friday, nothing had more than a 10 minute wait except for Toy Story Midway Mania. The decorations were beautiful. Also made a side trip to Uni. Did both parks before 2:30 in the afternoon. The place felt like a ghost town. Every ride except HP was a walk on. Even HP was a 20 minute wait. Definately noticed a difference in teh quality of workers between WDW and Uni. Great trip and plan to do another one during the same time next year. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Beautiful resort, but too much like my home state of Colorado.

ann0d

What did you mean by the workers? IMO Universal were just as friendly, if not more so. We always go down every other year the second week of December because of the fact it is so empty. My son love the fact that the there is never a line to meet characters at uni. Sounds like you had a great trip!

ColoradoDWFan

Original Poster
Didn't mean that the Uni workers were horrible. It just seemed like they were always talking to each other and not paying attention to the guests. Each ride seemed to be understaffed as well (not a reflection on the workers). When we were in line for HP, we were cycled out of the que when the ride broke down without any explanation. No pass to come back sooner or an option to wait in line while they fixed the ride.

Dukeblue1227

That's funny because I had an entirely different perspective.

I was there 11/27-12/4 and I felt that the place was mobbed; HOWEVER, I felt like everyone there was just there for the decorations because wait-times for the rides were nothing.

We literally walked on everything except TSM... but I just felt everywhere I went I was fighting through mobs of crowds...

I felt the resorts and the restaurants were especially crowded... I was absolutely shocked.

Like I said though, it was very strange though because the ride wait-times were nothing...

That was my perspective of it at least... :shrug:

dsollie

Just returned from a 11/29-12/4 visit to WDW. Also spent one day at Uni and IOA. The parks were incredible. Other than Friday, nothing had more than a 10 minute wait except for Toy Story Midway Mania. The decorations were beautiful. Also made a side trip to Uni. Did both parks before 2:30 in the afternoon. The place felt like a ghost town. Every ride except HP was a walk on. Even HP was a 20 minute wait. Definately noticed a difference in teh quality of workers between WDW and Uni. Great trip and plan to do another one during the same time next year. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Beautiful resort, but too much like my home state of Colorado.

Good post. I just had to add a comment on the bolded statement above. On a past trip, my wife and I toured some of the other resorts while at WDW. Upon visiting the Wilderness Lodge, the first thing that my wife and I agreed on is that we will never stay there as it is too much like home. I know CO and MN are not identical, but the place felt like a trip to the northern woods of MN. Upon further thought, Wilderness Lodge is probably more like northern MN due to the lack of mountains. :)

MickeyMind

I hate how people constantly put down the uni employees, in my experiences they are even friendlier than disney's.. they dont seem as fake, the only thing I dont like about the uni employees is the ones that stand and try to sell you the dining plans after you exit the parking garage, they are a little more in your face, but besides that, all ride operators, and in-park employees were just as nice if not even friendlier than disney's, and they all waved to you as you leave the loading stations on the rides

Dukeblue1227

What was the wait time for TSMM? was there still the dash for FP in the morning?

I actually took a video of the fastpass line one morning...

Park opened at 9:00, I got there at 9:10 and the line was about 300 people deep... backed up all the way to where the Little Mermaid building is...

and at 9:10 the Fastpasses were being distributed for like 12:30-1:30... and like I said, still 300 people or so in line waiting to get them...

Everyday the wait time was at least 90 minutes except ONCE we saw 60 minutes... so we jumped in line because we'd never done it.

Wait was about 1:10 by the time we got on...

The area was a total Cluster-you know what though... barely could walk through that stretch of area in front of it

Mickey_777

This reminds me of of how I feel during American Adventure and Hall of Presidents. Not so much the shows but the queue's mostly. I get this strange and uncomfortable feeling of home. Like I'm not in WDW. Not cool. I work here and drive by the monuments every day etc. Anybody else get this with other attractions?

joe80x86

I was there 11/27-12/4 and I felt that the place was mobbed; HOWEVER, I felt like everyone there was just there for the decorations because wait-times for the rides were nothing.

We literally walked on everything except TSM... but I just felt everywhere I went I was fighting through mobs of crowds...

I felt the resorts and the restaurants were especially crowded... I was absolutely shocked.

Like I said though, it was very strange though because the ride wait-times were nothing...

I have to agree we were there 12/2 to 12/5 (went to Seaworld on 12/4. But it definitely seemed like the place was pretty crowded compared to what it normally is this weekend, though again the ride times didn't seem that bad.

LSU_Tigger

I believe that the Pop Warner football thing is going on and if so. All the Value and Moderate resorts along with WDW transportation will be packed.

maroman

I was there from 11/28 - 12/5 and have to say that the crowd levels were much higher than in years past. On Saturday the 4th Magic Kingdom was insanely busy and it has to be due to the fact that Disney threw in free dining over the holidays. We've been there the week after Thanksgiving in the past and it's been much more enjoyable than this last trip.

accord99cutie

Premium Member
This reminds me of of how I feel during American Adventure and Hall of Presidents. Not so much the shows but the queue's mostly. I get this strange and uncomfortable feeling of home. Like I'm not in WDW. Not cool. I work here and drive by the monuments every day etc. Anybody else get this with other attractions?
This was how I felt about staying at Riverside resort... I live in New Hampshire, but the themeing was wayyyy too similar to home for me... I feel like I may get the same feeling from Wilderness Lodge so my first Deluxe experience will be either Poly or Animal Kingdom Lodge since I feel these two reosrts are the least like my home... And for Moderates, CSR is my fav, although if I had to pick a different one again it would be CBR hands down over either PO resort!

R W B

Ive heard in the past UNI is not really busy during the holidays. Ive never been to UNI or WDW during the holidays so I have no first hand experience. I didnt think you could do both uni parks before 2:30 though. I look forward to hopefully going to both parks next year.

ColoradoDWFan

Original Poster
We braved the TSMM line on 12/1 during the day and waited about 35 minutes. We again hoped in the line 5 minutes before the park closed and waited about the same amount of time. We made a point of not starting any day until 10:30 since we were traveling without a child for the first time. Hence why we missed the rush for the TSMM Fast Passes. The Wilderness Lodge was beautiful. The boat ride to MK was a great way to start every day. Never waited more than 5 minutes. Definately want to try a monorail resort next time, though.

leighann

I agree, i notice a difference in the Uni & IOA workers, but than again I dont think anyone-anywhere is like cast members at Disney. Their job is to be part of the show. I just went to Uni & IOA 2 months ago and I wasnt really blown away at all. Most of the rides felt old and just werent fun. We also got through both parks before evening. WWOHP was the only land that was jam packed crowded, and except for the butter beer, the overall look and feel and the The Forbidden Journey of Harry Potter Ride, the place seemed thrown together, and way too small. I know alot of people were amazed by it, and I definetly was - because it looked like the movie and that one ride was amazing. But otherwise, I wont be returning anytime soon.

Oh, and I love Wilderness Lodge! Its my favorite by far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom