Trip Report Just returned from the World! POP Century 7/15-7/19/20-Completed!

Hello everyone! Long time reader and some time comment leaver here. I live in Southwest Florida, about 3 hours from the World, single female and 54 years young. I wanted to give a quick verbal update (I didn't really take many photos) to let you know my experiences in Walt Disney World last week. I stayed at POP for 4 nights with 4 days of park passes. I came solo for 3 days and my niece joined me for the last park day. This trip was originally booked for February, but rebooked 4 times until I gave in and went. I'm so glad I did, but the current experience may not be what everyone is looking for.

My first park was Animal Kingdom on 7/15 and I felt like I had the park to myself! I took the bus from POP (only person on the bus that was pulling up as I was walking up) and got there an hour after opening. I left almost an hour before closing, doing all experiences once, and several of them multiple times. If you have ever waited on the bridge from FoTLK to FoP, I was the only person on that bridge several times. Just me and some wonderful CM's that made the walk very entertaining. If you are someone who goes to Disney World for the extra entertainment, you should probably wait to return. I love coming to the parks solo as I am able to wander around and just look. The music is always playing in the background, but you will definitely miss the "extras" of the live entertainment. There are also less carts open so if you are looking for snacks, you may have a hard time locating them. Most of the food is mobile ordering, including at POP. That got a little irritating if you are getting back from a park and want to eat right away, as there were wait times of about 20 minutes after park closing. Absolutely 100% enforcement of mask wearing, and I did not see anyone trying to get away with not wearing one. It was actually quite refreshing to be out in public where everyone wants to play by the rules! The characters would float by randomly with music playing and them dancing. Watched several fun interactions between the characters and kids, including a few myself! I walked out with a great big smile on my face, thankful for the quiet walk around Animal Kingdom and still able to feel all the the Disney magic.

MissViv

Enjoyed your report. I have a solo reservation for 3 nights at Pop (1st time) the last week in October. Closely watching the Florida Covid-19 reports as I will also be flying in from Tennessee.

Hoping for some follow up reports for those who have visited Disney in a couple of weeks to see if anyone got sick after they arrived home. I'm leaving my 72 yr. old husband at home and that is a BIG concern for me.

cgersic

Original Poster
When I left off, we were on Main Street shopping and watching the mini parades go by. Earlier in the day, we had made the only dining reservation we could find at the time for Be Our Guest at 6:10. I figured that would give us time to eat and one last ride on SDMT before park closing. My niece has never been inside and I was more than excited to show her! When we got to the check in, we were told that it was a table dining service with 3 courses and a price of $60 per person :oops: My niece was going to be paying for dinner and there was no way I was going to let her spend that kind of money for what I think is generally mid grade food, so I asked them if we could cancel and they did it for us. No charge since we were unaware of the dining option though. I asked a manager type if there was any way we could peek our heads in and she called over a CM who gave us a full tour, including helping us find several hidden Mickeys! The Beast came out right when we were standing by his door, so my niece got a photo of him and was absolutely thrilled with our pixie dust!

By this time we were starving and all of the snack places were closing except for the Main Street locations. We walked through the castle from the back side and got to see a fabulous interaction between the Step Sisters and two little girls who were also sisters. It was one of them's birthday and they all kept the crowd laughing for a good 10 minutes. Those little girls were absolutely thrilled! We got my niece something to tide her over until we got back to the resort to eat, and went to the train station to wave goodbye to all our our friends. This was soooo much fun! Every one was so glad to be back, you could feel the energy and the happy feelings all over. Pluto (my favorite) and I had a really good time "talking" and he made my day when he caught my air kiss and sent one back. 😍 We left with really big smiles on our faces and one of our best adventures together in the books.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! I’m trying to learn all I can about the possibilities, and hearing your details is very helpful.

I’ve stayed at POP and done the skyliner before and really liked it, but that was in February. You really didn’t feel hot in the gondola? Even at 2 pm or 4 pm?

Also, if you did any outdoor dining, I’d be curious to hear about that, too. Thanks!

fractal

When I left off, we were on Main Street shopping and watching the mini parades go by. Earlier in the day, we had made the only dining reservation we could find at the time for Be Our Guest at 6:10. I figured that would give us time to eat and one last ride on SDMT before park closing. My niece has never been inside and I was more than excited to show her! When we got to the check in, we were told that it was a table dining service with 3 courses and a price of $60 per person :oops: My niece was going to be paying for dinner and there was no way I was going to let her spend that kind of money for what I think is generally mid grade food, so I asked them if we could cancel and they did it for us. No charge since we were unaware of the dining option though. I asked a manager type if there was any way we could peek our heads in and she called over a CM who gave us a full tour, including helping us find several hidden Mickeys! The Beast came out right when we were standing by his door, so my niece got a photo of him and was absolutely thrilled with our pixie dust!

By this time we were starving and all of the snack places were closing except for the Main Street locations. We walked through the castle from the back side and got to see a fabulous interaction between the Step Sisters and two little girls who were also sisters. It was one of them's birthday and they all kept the crowd laughing for a good 10 minutes. Those little girls were absolutely thrilled! We got my niece something to tide her over until we got back to the resort to eat, and went to the train station to wave goodbye to all our our friends. This was soooo much fun! Every one was so glad to be back, you could feel the energy and the happy feelings all over. Pluto (my favorite) and I had a really good time "talking" and he made my day when he caught my air kiss and sent one back. 😍 We left with really big smiles on our faces and one of our best adventures together in the books.

Awesome! We caught a little of the Step Sister's show - it was funny!

We had lunch at Be Our Guest and I didn't realize/remember that there is no longer a lunch menu. Only option was the $62 three course meal. That lunch for four cost me more than a dinner for 5 at The Brown Derby! Food was good but I won't be doing that again.

cgersic

Original Poster
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! I’m trying to learn all I can about the possibilities, and hearing your details is very helpful.

I’ve stayed at POP and done the skyliner before and really liked it, but that was in February. You really didn’t feel hot in the gondola? Even at 2 pm or 4 pm?

Also, if you did any outdoor dining, I’d be curious to hear about that, too. Thanks!
You are welcome! Please feel free to ask anything and I'll answer! The gondola was not hot whatsoever. There was always some type of breeze and it's basically open air and shaded, so it was no problem at all. I was on the it every afternoon and never had an issue. I'm not a big eater most of the time, so I generally pack snacks and eat at the resort. But I did have the mac and cheese with pork from Flame Tree on AK day, kiosks at Epcot and beer and spiced almonds at Baseline at HS. I am definitely more of a continuous snacker than sit down meal eater, so sorry I don't have a lot to input there.

cgersic

Original Poster
Awesome! We caught a little of the Step Sister's show - it was funny!

We had lunch at Be Our Guest and I didn't realize/remember that there is no longer a lunch menu. Only option was the $62 three course meal. That lunch for four cost me more than a dinner for 5 at The Brown Derby! Food was good but I won't be doing that again.
I sure hope people take the time to look up when they are back there! The little pop ups are so much fun!

I did not realize that BOG had the same thing for lunch?! As much as I'm a fan of the atmosphere, I've never been a fan of the food. I told her I would probably compare it to Perkins (we always get turkey sandwiches there) and she was very glad that I saved her the money!

You are welcome! Please feel free to ask anything and I'll answer! The gondola was not hot whatsoever. There was always some type of breeze and it's basically open air and shaded, so it was no problem at all. I was on the it every afternoon and never had an issue.

Thanks! This is great to hear. :cool:

cgersic

Original Poster
I'm going to finish this up today! Sunday was check out day, but since the pools don't open until 11, we took the Skyliner over to the Riviera for lunch. We walked around to check out the resort inside and out, and then did mobile order for Primo Piatto. We both had sandwiches and loved the herbed fries that come with them! It was a nice change of scenery and my niece loved the Skyliner as much as I did! After lunch, we headed back to POP. We both live less than 3 hours from Disney World, so I wasn't rushing to get home, but my niece was ready. I had packed a pool bag for easy access when I packed the car, so I walked her out and got my bag. I was initially going to go to the Hippy Dippy Pool, but there was a lot of people, noisy, and I really liked the laid back attitude at the Bowling Pool, so I went back there. I had a nice relaxing dip and sunning and after about an hour, I was ready for the drive home.

cgersic

Original Poster
Final thoughts: I'll start with the things that I really enjoyed. The lack of people and lines was truly my favorite part. The past few times I have visited, I found myself getting irritated by the end of the day due to people that were rude and pushy, and the long lines for attractions. They can keep social distancing around forever as far as I'm concerned, as I do not like people behind me getting in my personal space :joyfull: CMs that I was around were attentive and let anyone that had let their mask down know to put it back. I loved the mini parades and character interactions! With fewer people, eye contact is easier to make and they make you feel really special. Having the special pop ups like the Step Sisters was so entertaining! Cast members were so excited to chat!! Most had been moved around from other areas, but took the time to really listen and make the experience better. I said it before and I'll say it again: SKYLINER! It made life so much more enjoyable to not have to walk to the front and wait for a bus, there were always really friendly CM's and I loved looking at the wraps on the cars - so cute! But my favorite thing overall was the ability to stroll at my own pace, stop in the middle of a walkway to look up without being bumped into, and truly take in the details of the queues and surroundings. It's such a special place and most people don't get the advantage of taking their time to see it all.

Now the things I didn't enjoy so much. No fireworks - I'm a lover of them and I missed that special end of the day entertainment. Live entertainment - I usually come solo, so I will sit and listen to the music, comedy and entertainment whenever I come upon it. Definitely missed in Epcot. Food at will - I generally drink more than I eat on these trips, so when it comes time for something to eat, it's normally spur of the moment for me. Not being able to grab whatever I wanted whenever I wanted was a bit of a bummer. Park hopping - I almost always do 2 parks per day, just to avoid crowds and boredom. However, I did not miss having to get transportation to another park and it gave me time to enjoy the pool on the days I took a break. But my least favorite thing overall was not being able to see people's smiles. It's such a huge part of Disney magic for me. I am also a very social person, so being a solo visitor, I would talk to families in lines and I missed that too.

So, with all of that being said, I am sooooo glad that I went. This trip was replanned several times and I ended up not being with the best friend that I had originally made the plans with, but I needed the get away so badly that I went anyway. I do not regret it for one second safety-wise as I felt much safer than I normally do since everyone has to wear a mask. Hand sanitizer and many hand washings were enough that I feel that I came home healthy. I continue to take my temperature daily with no issues, and will still wear a mask around my family for another week. I'm not sure when I will make it back up to the World, so I'll live through all of you and your reports until I get back. Thank you so much for following along! I was able to get a couple of pictures to download, so I've added them. Please feel free to reach out with any questions and thanks again for being with me on my first report!
IMG_3262.jpg
IMG_3258.JPG
IMG_3235.JPG

cgersic

Original Poster
Really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for posting. Glad you had a great time!
Thank you and you're welcome! I truly did and was a little hesitant for a minute when infection numbers started going up here. But once I was there and saw how "clean" everything was, I relaxed and completely immersed myself in the days and nights.

lindawdw

Thank you so much for sharing your TR!!! I'm missing WDW so much but really love living vicariously through all of you who have the chance to go!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom