Just returned - feedback (esp on Pop)

I just returned from a week at WDW (waaaahhhhh!!!) and thought I would jot some random thoughts:

Pop Century: A bit disappointed. There is nothing wrong with the resort itself, I guess I am just more of a POFQ person. Overall, very large resort and the food court could be very crowded and very noisy. The dinner choices were plentiful and tasty, breakfast was a mob scene and usually our food was cold by the time we finished waiting in all of the lines. We were in the 80's section, there were 2 adults, 1 pre-teen and an infant in the room. The rooms were clean and I did not experience any of the noise problems that had I had been warned about (of course, after a full day of trekking through the parks, I was pretty tired and went right to sleep!). The cast members were all very nice and there were no issues with other guests. We did notice several large groups of grad night students at the end of our trip and one night security had to come to the pool to herd them out, but even with that, they weren't very noisy and the kids were not out of control in the food court or the walkways (at least that we saw). The pools were large (and nice and warm!) and my 23 month old daughter just adored the Goofy Popping Fountains. That in and of itself is a really nice touch if you have little kids. One warning - the arcade has the dreaded "ticket" games (win a certain number of tickets as you play each game). We found our solution by having the kids pool all of their tickets and trade them in the day we left, that way they got a somewhat more substantial "prize".

The transportation was without a doubt the biggest issue. We waited an average of 40/45 minutes for any bus on any given day (both to and from the parks). We waited almost an hour for a bus after Wishes and the same after Illuminations. Even when my son and I left a park mid-day to return to the resort for a few hours, we waited 45 minutes. That was disappointing. Overall, if I was in a situation where it was "stay at Pop or not go to Disney at all", I would do it, but given a choice, I would book at POFQ or POR in a heartbeat.

Parks: The crowd level was not bad at all. There were some long waits for certain rides, but we just used Fast Pass and it was not an issue. Soarin' was up and down and up and down while we were there. Some of the people we traveled with did get on and all thought it was a very neat ride and that the scenery that was shown was beautiful. Rest assurred it is a gentle ride. My sister rode it and she gets dizzy on the carousel! Downtown was at it's usual busy level, but we were able to get dinner at Fultons and HOB without reservations or a wait (and we arrived at 5:00 for both). We even were able to have dinner at Alfredo's (Italy Pavilion in Epcot) without at wait or reservation. Since we usually attend during the Food and Wine Festival, this was a big change for us and we were happy that we were able to do it. Festival of the Lion King was wonderful as always but we did not get to see Lucky. LAMC was not open for us to see (or preview) but we did get to see the new Playhouse Disney with JoJo's Circus in it. Unfortunately, my daughter was so freaked out by seeing JoJo that close up, she wouldn't open her eyes!

Flower and Garden: Epcot is really beautiful with all of the displays. We did not go to any of the presentations, but just walking and looking at the topiaries was pretty enough. Several folks expressed disappointment with the Butterfly garden, I enjoyed it. It was small, but it felt very cool to have so many butterflies all around you!

The weather was great the entire time - very low 80's and sunny during the day, upper 60's at night. We only had some rain on one day and it was typical Florida rain, it poured like crazy for about 10 minutes, then stopped. We were in Epcot that day, so it was very easy to duck into a country and wait for the rain to end before moving on.

Overall, good trip. After all, it is Disney!!

Dwarful

Glad you had a good time. We arrive at Pop in 11 days. The kids are thrilled. you mention long bus waits, did you wait 45 minutes at pop trying to get to the parks? or is this the return time from the parks? glad to know that the temp was nice! thanks for the update.

GaryT977

AndreainNY said:
The transportation was without a doubt the biggest issue. We waited an average of 40/45 minutes for any bus on any given day (both to and from the parks). We waited almost an hour for a bus after Wishes and the same after Illuminations. Even when my son and I left a park mid-day to return to the resort for a few hours, we waited 45 minutes.

IMHO, unless they decide to run more buses (why should the wait be 20 minutes? why not every 10 minutes?), and/or build some 'WDW Buses Only' lanes throughout the resort, the bus transportation simply won't work. If you're staying on property and you have a car, I highly recommend driving to and from the resorts and using the buses for places like Downtown Disney. As a resort guest, you get free parking at the parks.

Dwarful

Wow thats a bit disappointing. We stayed there in June & Dec and never had much of a wait time getting to the parks. Now coming back at park closing that was a different story but there were mobs of people. I hope that things have improved back to normal standards in the upcoming weeks.

MKCP 1985

It has been pretty well determined that if you are staying at certain resorts and have a car, you can get into the gate more quickly by driving. The Studios park is good for driving, because it is a short walk from your car to the gate. Driving to the Magic Kingdom usually takes longer than taking the bus.

For bus transportation, it is very difficult if not impossible to beat Coronado Springs.

AndreainNY, I am not a fan of the value resorts either. The cast members are cool, but the mob scenes at the food courts and the usual long waits for buses are not magical at all.

socalkdg

Thanks for the report. I was there April 9-19, staying at BWV and VWL. Had a great time. My daughter(3) tried to grab a butterfly, thankfully I stopped her before she could.

The longest wait I had for a bus was 10 minutes. About half the time the wait was less than 2 minutes. I rode the bus about 10 times. Do they just run less buses to POP, or was the crowd such that you had to wait for the next bus? You should never wait longer than 30 minutes for a bus ever. I'd voice a complaint about that situation.

indianajdp

Thx for the report, and I'm sorry to read about the transportation issues. We were there 4/2-4/8 and originally booked All-Star Sports, but after hearing some horror stories about the paper-thin walls I upgraded to POFQ 45 days out. I never even considered the bus delays on both ends, but I saw those long lines and was thankful I had made the switch.

Dwarful

You know the walls have never been an issue for us and we have been to all 3 all stars and pop at various times of the year including the Christmas holiday and June. we haven't ever had bus problems either, but we usually spend time in the shops on main street while waiting for the mob of people to leave. then we have a short walk to our bus stop and a seat on the bus. But if you want to be the first one out of the park, then yeah, you will probably waste 20-30 mins in line for a bus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom