Just got to wdw..what's up with all the scooter's

Status
Not open for further replies.

G00fyDad

Isn't charging any rental price "financially discriminating"?

No. You can charge a price for reasonable services rendered. The scooters fall under that. To price someone out to restrict the use to "those that need it" would have to encompass those that need the service as well or you are setting up two prices. One for the disabled and one for those that are not. Financial discrimination. Not to mention the fact that you would have to ask for proof to give the lower "disabled" price. This just cannot be done legally.

Larry Mondello

They see me rollin'; They hatin'
100_0054.JPG

Animaniac93-98

No. You can charge a price for reasonable services rendered. The scooters fall under that. To price someone out to restrict the use to "those that need it" would have to encompass those that need the service as well or you are setting up two prices. One for the disabled and one for those that are not. Financial discrimination. Not to mention the fact that you would have to ask for proof to give the lower "disabled" price. This just cannot be done legally.

I never said that. I suggested raising the current rental price, and having seasonal pricing a la park tickets. Not charging different rates for different people.

Mickey5150

At the end of scooter thread I'm never sure which side I'm on. The side of the high and mighty who look down on anyone in a scooter who they "know" is not legitimately handicapped, or the side of the high and mighty who ALWAYS use scooters responsibly and only think of everyone else when they may be on their scooter. OK, the thread may die now.

216bruce

Consider over 70% of American adults are overweight and 35% are obese. I seriously doubt many of these people can make it all day walking around WDW without passing out or having a stroke, hence all the scooters. It's really sad that so many people in this country don't have the discipline to eat healthier and exercise more.

BTW i've been to all the Disney Parks around the world and I can't remember seeing any scooters at any of the parks except the American parks. There's really nothing you or I can do about other people's habits so I guess the only thing I can do is feel sorry for them that they ride around in a scooter and have to deal with getting stared at and criticized.
Oh there ya go...bringing in facts and observations. That just won't fly here.:rolleyes:

Ginzuishou

I noticed a lot of scooters and strollers on my last trip as well. I think both are being over used by guests. The stroller parking areas were laughable. A blob of strollers in front of every ride......so pretty, just so amazing. From my personal experience, Disney is best enjoyed when older. Sometimes I wonder why people even bother bringing a two-year old to the park or better yet, A BABY.

anchorman314

The ECVs are not the problem. It's the people that don't know how to operate them that are. If you need to use an ECV to enjoy your time at the park, that's fine by me. I don't care about your reason for using it. Your personal situation really isn't any of my business. Just be mindful of other guests, and we'll all be fine.

Also, note that you can substitute the words "wheelchair", "stroller", "feet", or "tour group flag" for the above instances of "ECV" and my point would still be valid.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I just got to wdw...it's been a long 10 year wait... one thing is bugging me after only 2 days...

First, I am all for truly handicapped people getting a break...but to be politically incorrect....being fat is a lifestyle choice 99 percent of the time...not a handicap.

Loading you scooter with your families food and drinks in a cooler plopped on you lap or in a basket and scooting onto the bus is disgracefull to the real handicapped and simply downright rude. These people consume 4 seats on the bus between the scooter and the seat they sometimes jump into. They slow the loading and unloading by 5 minutes...and they get to cut line.

What does it cost to rent a scooter? I assume wdw is making big bucks because otherwise it makes no sense. Can anyone get one of these...maybe we all should! Aaaaaahhhh!

To make matters worse my room request was no where near where I wanted to be at OKW.....i have a hell of a walk everywhere I go...does anyone know if these ' diet challenged ' folks get precedence for having rooms near the main area?

Don't get me wrong...elderly or truly handicapped have all my sympathies but uncle Joe with 4 drinks and a cooler scooting onto the bus delaying my trip and taking other folks seats...while wearing a Fitbit no less .....well it's just disgracefull.

I won't even mention the way they drive and honk their little horns in the park..I guess the deserve to scoot around everyone and move at a quicker pace....what is going on the world!!! Is it me.....

I am just saying it's sad people take advantage thats all...we are having a great time...the parks are emaculate...cast members friendly...transportation....eh...not as good as I recall a CB or Po or CS.but perhaps that's the nature of the sprwaling OKW....

And yes I am pretty sure of the 5 scooter loads I saw..none were legitimacy handicapped.....I'll keep my opinions to myself and only post happy thoughts going forward!!! Now I have to figure out how find my family in the DS Disney store...wish there were an app for that!

The problem is... you have no idea if someone is faking or not. If you want to talk about those abusing the system, thats fine. But in regards to your comments about "knowing" what someone does & doesn't need... please get off your soapbox and stop assuming you can tell who is and isn't faking. You cannot look at someone and know what is wrong with them.

My father lived a very active life before being hit by a tractor trailer. He suffered a broken back and has had multiple surgeries since then. He became sedentary due to the chronic pain and gained a considerable amount of weight.
He recently developed cyst on his spine and had another surgery in which they were able to redo and correct his previous surgeries. He can walk more now than ever before but still only for 5 minutes before the pain becomes too unbearable. Looking at him in a seated scooter or walking briefly, you would think he is perfectly fine.

My mother in law has issues with her knees. Some days she can run circles around me and other days she can barely get out of bed. You just never know what someone is going through.
Not to mention, riding in WDW in a scooter is not a pleasant experience. You have to navigate in crowded areas and people often cut you off.

SorcererMC

My mother in law has issues with her knees. Some days she can run circles around me and other days she can barely get out of bed. You just never know what someone is going through.
Not to mention, riding in WDW in a scooter is not a pleasant experience. You have to navigate in crowded areas and people often cut you off.
Your entire post is thoughtful but I'm going to focus on this, b/c what someone may be able to do in their day-to-day life can become entirely questionable when spending time in a theme park all day (eg someone with back, hip, or knee problems; sometimes that comes with age and not illness). ECVs are one way to make the parks manageable when they otherwise would not be. I dare say that benches or more readily available seating areas (even in queue) could help ameliorate this problem.

tem325

I was waiting for a bus back to Pop Century one night and a boy around the age of 10 asked his dad why these 2 particular people were on scooters (and they were staring at the scooter people while they loaded on the bus) and the dad said something along the lines of "Well, people should be using them if they're handicapped but more and more lazy fat people use them" and my jaw dropped!!!

My friend's mother used one in WDW because she was just recovering from 6 months of chemo for lung cancer. She didn't look sick, she is slightly overweight, and it breaks my heart that someone would teach their kid that just "lazy and fat" people use scooters. My friend's mom just doesn't have the lung capacity to walk around Disney all day anymore with her 10 and 6 year old grandkids and son/daughter in law.

Reserve judgment. You have no idea what people are battling.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Your entire post is thoughtful but I'm going to focus on this, b/c what someone may be able to do in their day-to-day life can become entirely questionable when spending time in a theme park all day (eg someone with back, hip, or knee problems; sometimes that comes with age and not illness). ECVs are one way to make the parks manageable when they otherwise would not be. I dare say that benches or more readily available seating areas (even in queue) could help ameliorate this problem.

Yeah, like people can go relax and rest on the benches in the hub area at the Magic Kingdom...Oh wait Disney got rid of all those:( I'm a little bitter about the removal of benches, but that is for a different thread I suppose.:cool:

BAChicagoGal

I'm recovering from a foot injury, and it's just a week until my WDW trip. People that know me have asked if I am going to rent a scooter for my 10 day Florida vacation. I am planning 7 days at Pop Century, and 3 days at Cabana Bay. First of all, even if I wanted to, I can't afford the rental fee. Not even the weekly one, where I could have the scooter 24/7. This isn't my first WDW trip. I have been there many many times. My most recent trip was this past February. I am amazed at how many strollers, scooters, and wheelchairs are in the parks. Disney obviously bends over backwards to accommodate all of it's guests. The parks are more crowded than ever, with both people, and their means of getting from one place to another. It is definitely very difficult to navigate the parks, whether you are walking, operating a scooter, pushing a stroller/wheelchair, or even rolling around in a wheelchair solo. Most people are cordial, and considerate. However, some are not. I plan on taking it slower than usual. I plan on keeping myself aware of my surroundings at all time. The theme parks are a whole lot of fun for me. However, the more I go, the more I have noticed that the "road conditions" are a bit more treacherous than they were before. Be careful out there folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom