Just got back ... a few thoughts.

disneymom08

We just got back from our 7 day 6 night stay at Disney, my parents, my brother, his girlfriend, my husband and I and our 3 1/2 y/o daughter. We did the MYW package with the dining plan and park hopper tickets and stayed at the Grand Floridian. I have to start out by saying this was the best vacation I have ever taken and my husband who basically said he 'just didn't get it' when we were planning the trip was ready to schedule us for the bounceback deal that was offered before we checked out. We didn't take the offer as tempting as it was because basically who can afford to do Disney every 6 months? Anyway like everything life even the best things are not perfect so I thought I would share some experiences.

1) As much as I loved staying at the GF and the hotel itself with all the restaurants and shops, the rooms are not all that great. We booked adjoining rooms which by Disney standards means next to one another not what I thought which meant with a door connecting them. No those are connecting rooms. They were able to switch our rooms and retain the lagoon view upgrade but the view was not as good but worth the sacrifice. However the room they switched us to had a broken toilet. Every time you flushed it water came out of the bottom. It took 3 calls to the front desck to get someone out and then he said oh I can't fix this we need to call a plumber. No kidding! Two days later it was fixed for 1 day but then broke again but it wasn't worth the hassle so we just threw extra towels on the floor.

2) Can't say enough good things about the DDP. I felt like we really ate great and got our money's worth. My parents kept saying this is the best food we've ever eaten at Disney. I'm sure it was a better deal with the tip included but we still made out.

3) Pal Mickey - cute but I wouldn't shell out the $65 again. We thought we would get 'inside' tips - character sightings and short wait times - not so much. We would pass right by characters and he wouldn't say a thing.

4) Refillable mugs - way worth it. We got our mugs the first say $12 each. Coffee in the morning with a fill up of soda on the way to the park. A refill after nap time and one on the way in from the evening. Averaging 3-4 drinks a day for six days - a good deal.

5) The last night we were there was the Pirate and Princess party which we were not interested in going to so I didn't pay much attention to it. I had no idea this meant that the park closes early to everyone who didn't pay extra. I was so mad that Disney would close a park early and jip everyone who paid for the full day out of 2 hours. Which may not seem like a lot but my little girl got in the habit of taking 3 hour naps while we were there and we couldn't make it back in time to do anything after her nap with it closing at 7:00. So because it was our last day like complete suckers we shelled out the $250 for five out of the seven of us to go becasue my daughter had to ride rides one last time before we left. It was fun but I am a bit sore that we shelled out that much.

And my last and final note...

6) No Mickey! We never saw Mickey; not once even at the P&P party. A whole week and no Mickey. What gives?

Anyhow 7 days 6 nights, good food, no Mickey, a leaky toilet, $65 for a plain old talking doll and $250 extra for our last night of riding it's a Small World - It was still the BEST VACATION EVER. Disney see ya next year!

WildLodgeFan

The GF is a very polarizing resort. You either love the look or you hate it. If you don't like the look now you won't ever. Quite honestly it is my least favorite resort on property from a decor standpoint. I would look into the Poly, Wilderness lodge or Animal Kingdom lodge as an alternative.

Obviously WL is my favorite so far - hence the name WildLodgeFan :ROFLOL:.

We were thinking about the Poly instead. I agree, I imagine you either love it or hate it. I was afraid my allergies would flair up with so many flowers :lol: and I can't imagine my macho husband in there.

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

The P&PP, while maybe annoying for you, was not exactly a spur of the moment thing. A visit to the official WDW website would have prepared you for the park hours and events that day.

I think Mickey is in the Animation Courtyard area at DHS, which would not be right where the big hat is but close. They have a new area set up to meet him there. Gotta have the Mickey fix!

That's too bad about the GF. I can't believe it took that long to not really fix the toilet. Geez. For what you pay for that room the toilet should be gold plated! I have heard about the rooms being not all that great. I think I would like the GF for an all-girls stay and a little pampering but I don't think it would be a good fit for our family.

Sounds like your hubby is hooked, you'll be back. :D

Upvote 0

devoy1701

man....I look at the park hours even when i'm NOT going to DisneyWorld....kinda like a well, if I leave for WDW now, I can still have x amount of hours in the parks! (Remember I live in Tampa).

But there really is no reason to get mad about it, it's posted on signs at the TTC and infront of Magic Kingdom...it's on the website, and they mention it on all modes of transportation the day of the event. There's really no way to not know about it unless you really aren't paying attention...but then again the distraction of a 3y.o. could probably do that. This is just a lesson to plan better next time.

As for the broken toilet....I woulda been all over the general manager of the GF about having to call 3 times...and them taking more than a day to fix it without moving your room...even if it meant having to give you a complimentary upgrade to conceirge. Attendance isn't all that high right now as you would expect so there is no excuse for them not moving your room or discounting your stay or something along those lines....

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Broken toilet...so not cool. Towels on the floor of a very expensive resort...ew!!

As far as not seeing Mickey...you had the dining plans and they have many great character meals with him...Chef Mickey's and 'OHana's being two of my favorite. Sorry you didn't get to see him. I have to see him the first day we are there!!:)

Upvote 0

elabron

And my last and final note...

6) No Mickey! We never saw Mickey; not once even at the P&P party. A whole week and no Mickey. What gives?

Anyhow 7 days 6 nights, good food, no Mickey, a leaky toilet, $65 for a plain old talking doll and $250 extra for our last night of riding it's a Small World - It was still the BEST VACATION EVER. Disney see ya next year!

I definently don't want to come across as a jerk. But, on the Pirate and Princess maps, it gives you all of the character locations. We did P&P on the 9th and 16th while at WDW, and both nights Mickey, Goofy, Doanld and Pluto could be found in Tomorrowland next to the Carousel of Progress.
It pays to check the maps.

I can sympathize with your dissapointment in the Floridian. We were there from the 1Oth-17th, and it sure didn't seem like a hotel I would/should be paying nearly $5OO per night for.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

The GF is a very polarizing resort. You either love the look or you hate it. If you don't like the look now you won't ever. Quite honestly it is my least favorite resort on property from a decor standpoint. I would look into the Poly, Wilderness lodge or Animal Kingdom lodge as an alternative.

Why not consider Port Orleans Riverside, the absolute nicest resort on Disney property? Truthfully, I'd rather stay there than at ANY of the deluxe resorts. the decor is great, the amenities are plentiful, and the theming is far more to our taste than any of the deluxes.

I like the GF, however I had a funny/bad experience there once. Since it's the most expensive resort, you don't see many minorities staying there. Me being a minority, I was standing by the front desk when a caucasian woman asked me to take her bags for her. i guess the clothes i was wearing that day made me look like a cast member or something.......or was it my color? :shrug:

:eek: I'm appalled!!! :eek: What on earth did you say to her? I hope she had the grace to apologize!!!

Upvote 0

disneymom08

Original Poster
But there really is no reason to get mad about it, it's posted on signs at the TTC and infront of Magic Kingdom...it's on the website, and they mention it on all modes of transportation the day of the event. There's really no way to not know about it unless you really aren't paying attention...but then again the distraction of a 3y.o. could probably do that. This is just a lesson to plan better next time.

I guess you can look at it like that however we never went through the TTC because we stayed at the GF and took the monorail in and the ferry back and buses everywhere else. And yes they did announce it on the bus ride back from DHS that we took back to the hotel after lunch which was how we found out that it would be closing early that very night but at that point it was too late. I would have never gone to DHS that morning had I know MK would close early. And I visited the Magic Hour website several times while planning my trip which just lists the early openings and late closures not the early closures. I think once you know you know but if you're not a Disney regular, this was my first visit since high school and I'm no spring chicken. I never would have thought that Disney would cut in to the regular visiting hours so I wouldn't have thought to check but that was why I posted so other people like myself would know.

Upvote 0

disneymom08

Original Poster
I definently don't want to come across as a jerk. But, on the Pirate and Princess maps, it gives you all of the character locations. We did P&P on the 9th and 16th while at WDW, and both nights Mickey, Goofy, Doanld and Pluto could be found in Tomorrowland next to the Carousel of Progress.
It pays to check the maps.

Oh I know it was like trying to hit a moving target on that night for us though; it was on the map he just wasn't there at the time we were. Trying to get in all the last minute rides you hadn't gone on or needed to go on just one last time before that plane ride home. I guess I just remembered as a child Mickey was on Main Street 'Hey welcome to WDW' not tucked off in a corner in a Judge's tent - or maybe those aren't even real memories and I have just seen too many commercials. It wasn't that big of a deal for me just a passing disappointment; although I think my Mom is still a bit sore about it. We saw just about everone else. Tigger and Pooh were all over the place, we saw Chip and Dale on three seperate occasions and Princesses a plenty throughout the entire trip!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why not consider Port Orleans Riverside, the absolute nicest resort on Disney property? Truthfully, I'd rather stay there than at ANY of the deluxe resorts. the decor is great, the amenities are plentiful, and the theming is far more to our taste than any of the deluxes.
PORS is very nice (we have stayed there more than and other resort) and IMHO the most bang for the buck resort on property but it is hard to beat AKL, WL or the Poly for a complete separation from reality. The crash back to reality (ie the bill) is considerably harsher though.

Upvote 0

firedog31

Sorry you had some of the problems your family had on the vacation but as you said nothings perfect. In the end as you said it was a great vacation and I bet the excitement on your daughters face at points through out the week made up for some of the problems that were faced. Anyways glad you had a great vacation!:animwink:

Upvote 0

sissa216

I agree! I love POR, more than any deluxe, as well.

Upvote 0

PanfanAL

I understand what you mean about Mickey. When I was a child Mickey roamed the parks. Then as I got older I didn't think about looking for Mickey. Now I have a child, I realized just how hard it is to see Mickey now. Last October I promised my then 2yr old he could see Mickey. He loves Mickey. Anyway, after several hours in the park I said alright everyone, no more rides until my boy has seen Mickey Mouse. After a exhausting 2 hour wait in the judges tent, we finally got to see Mickey Mouse. And I don't care what rides I missed that day, because the look in my sons eyes when he saw Mickey is something more wonderful than any ride. So my point is you have to just stop and say i'm going to see Mickey, and don't give up until you do.

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

Mickey is a star! He doesn't come to you, you go to him.:ROFLOL:

You could have seen him in Toontown, in the tent behind Mickey's house, or at DHS inside the Animation attraction, or at the Character Corner at Epcot. Sorry you missed him.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

I think once you know you know but if you're not a Disney regular, this was my first visit since high school and I'm no spring chicken. I never would have thought that Disney would cut in to the regular visiting hours so I wouldn't have thought to check but that was why I posted so other people like myself would know.

There really is no such thing as "regular visiting hours" at the MK.
There are days throughout the year where they close at 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, or even later (and I am not talking about EMH nights) but the cost of the park admission is the same regardless of what time they close.

And, park hours are always subject to change, even at the last minute.

But, now you know for your next trip. Check the park hours on the Disney website well before your trip. That way you can plan which parks you would like to be at on certain days. And then double check the park hours once you get there.

And also for next time...the best way to gaurentee you see Mickey is to book a character meal that he attends. Chef Mickeys and the Garden Grill are great. Or be at one of the entrances to Toontown a few minutes before it opens (it opens at 10:00) and head straight for Mickey's house.

I have helped alot of friends plan Disney trips, and they are always shocked at the amount of planning that must be done! There are soooo many things you can plan out ahead of time that can make your trip better. Also, reading a good guide book such as The Passporter or The Unofficialy Guide to Disney World is essential.

Upvote 0

Yankeeplex

PORS is very nice (we have stayed there more than and other resort) and IMHO the most bang for the buck resort on property but it is hard to beat AKL, WL or the Poly for a complete separation from reality. The crash back to reality (ie the bill) is considerably harsher though.

What is never mentioned is how small PORS is and how convenient just about everything is there. We stayed there 3 times and always appreciated how close the food court was from where we were staying.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What is never mentioned is how small PORS is and how convenient just about everything is there. We stayed there 3 times and always appreciated how close the food court was from where we were staying.
That is very true. It is in stark contrast to the other 2 moderates that are about a spread out as is humanly possible. About the worst thing about PORS is how easy it is to get turned around and end up walking in circles in Alligator Bayou. The first couple of times I stayed there I think I walked more going from my room to the lobby than I did at the parks.:lol:

Upvote 0

KingStefan

I guess you can look at it like that however we never went through the TTC because we stayed at the GF and took the monorail in and the ferry back and buses everywhere else. And yes they did announce it on the bus ride back from DHS that we took back to the hotel after lunch which was how we found out that it would be closing early that very night but at that point it was too late. I would have never gone to DHS that morning had I know MK would close early. And I visited the Magic Hour website several times while planning my trip which just lists the early openings and late closures not the early closures. I think once you know you know but if you're not a Disney regular, this was my first visit since high school and I'm no spring chicken. I never would have thought that Disney would cut in to the regular visiting hours so I wouldn't have thought to check but that was why I posted so other people like myself would know.

Don't let anyone bully you about this. There are plenty of people that think the hard-ticket nights are a bit sleezy for a variety of reasons, including me.

Don't get me wrong - I understand why they have them. And I've been to P&P, and enjoyed it, and thought it was worth the extra money (that was before the price increase). They're obviously viewed by the public as being worth the price judging by the attendance, although I'm sure there are some who go just to get the extra park time, and feel at least mildly that it was extortion.

And they are a good money maker for WDW, which eventually helps us all as fans, as we want the parks to be successful so that they can continue to invest back into them.

But they don't do a good job about announcing the details to the ordinary visitor, like yourself. I presume that they don't want to make a big deal about advertising that the general public is getting fewer park hours for the same price. On those nights of the hard-ticket event, MK used to be open until at least 8, sometimes 9 or maybe even later. I think that WDW wants to strike a balance between getting the word out to increase attendance at the event, but not advertising the negative aspect of it too much to the ordinary guest. The result: people are going to continue to be uninformed and disappointed. It's not quite dishonesty and desception, but it approaches that fine line.

Peole who say "if you just did your planning properly, it wouldn't have been a problem" are being Disney snobs. Whether or not you think the hard-ticket events are a rip off, there is a problem here of publicity, and it needs to be fixed at the risk of WDW's reputation.

By the way, there's a whole thread discussing this at http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=305380.

Upvote 0

lebeau

I just don't see how it's possible to miss Mickey. Every trip I've ever taken, I've seen him several times without even trying. The last trip was only three days and I saw him at least 4 times that I can think of. Possibly more than that!

I don't think I'd describe him as a "moving target". He's pretty stationary. You just need to know where he's going to be.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Peole who say "if you just did your planning properly, it wouldn't have been a problem" are being Disney snobs.

I understand and agree with alot of your points, but I have to disagree with this one.

Checking park hours ahead of time is just part of a visit to ANY theme park:shrug:. Even when I make a day trip to go to Sea World in San Antonio, I check the park hours before I go.

I think calling people "disney snobs" because they think the OP should have been aware of park hours is going just a bit to far.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom