just got back a few opinions...

disneyisbest

I don't really see anything happening to SE anytime soon. I don't see disney getting rid of the icon that is EPCOT. However, I would not throw out the idea that disney would change the ride within. I don't think they would change it anytime soon, but it is always possibly that they would change the ride in the futre. As far as changing the sphere itself. I just don't see it happening.

gjpjtj

Originally posted by YankeeFan
The "EPCOT" sign on top of Spaceship Earth makes it look absolutely stupid. If people are so stupid that they don't know they're in Epcot by the mere site of SE alone, at least put the sign out by the entrance turnstiles. Why did they have to ruin the premiere Epcot attraction?

I agree!!

BalooChicago

Ok, I liked the sign when it was the Millennium Sign... It was in someway at least about the future... The Epcot just does not look right in my opinion. Even the font seems more at place in tomorrowland than the future.

One thing I have always wondered, this thing no doubt throws one hell of a moment (Overturning force) into the ground, looking back at SE construction Photos it looks as if the construction crane may have been in the same area, Does anyone know if they reused the caissons? (Foundation) If so that's pretty ingenious.

I still think the geosphere speaks to the future, unfortunately the buildings surrounding it are stuck in 1982.

Atlaslaw

What was bad was when they were painting the castle pink, before they finished the cake. Now that was UGLY! After they finished though, the 25th Birthday cake was cool. Most people seem to have not liked it, but I for one thought it was an amazing accomplishment that they could transform the castle into a birthday cake and then back to normal.

89 days until Disney!:sohappy:

spagmoid

Account Suspended
Originally posted by stingrock23
I'm ok with the stich on the building, i think it looks cool.

But I HATE the Epcot sign. I think it just takes away from the essence of SE. I mean, you don't need that sign to know that it signifies Epcot. That sign should get thrown out with Eisner when he goes. It just looks stupid, and it looked more futuristic before. Maybe i'll knock it down when i go in a few weeks.:slurp:

Then why do you have the sign in your avatar? :)

I personally love being able to see scaffolding from anywhere in the park!

spagmoid

Account Suspended
Originally posted by RobFL
A thought...

Do you realize how many people really don't know what the names of the various parks are?

How many times people have wnadered deep into Epcot and asked where the castle is?

How many people don't realize it's called "The Magic Kingdom" and not just DisneyWorld?

-Rob

Of course, the best way to inform these poor souls is to plaster a gaudy 50 foot sign on every park entrance.

Katherine

I can bare the epcot sign(I don't like it but I can bare it). I would HATE for them to turn the castle back into a cake though! It looked so cheesy and less magical. Aren't little kids suppose to believe that Cindy actually lives there? It doesn't look like much when it's covered with pink paint!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Is it the sign thats unliked or change? I like the sign it does nothing to detract from the park or the attraction. Lets face it we are talking about a theme park icon not a major piece of art thats historically important.

As for the grave yard comment.... I paid good money for one of those tiles!!

Sketch105

I really don't mind the stone monoliths in front of Epcot. I think they're cool (except for the fact that when I was there, Each thing had only 15 tiles on it. One monolith had one tile only!)

Anyway, I liked Spaceship Earth the way it was, without the sign. The sign is fine, really. It doesn't bother me at all, nor does it really detract from the geosphere.

I think in a couple of years, after all these various celebrations are done, they'll take it down. Unless it becomes like Mickey's Birthdayland and sticks around longer than it should, so they keep adjusting or retheming it every few years. Heck, we should've gotten a full extension of Toontown.

dmspilot00

I seriously doubt that Disney wants an entire (half) theme park to look out of date with a Retro-80s look. I did exagerate a bit so I could get my point across.

As far as the Castle... for those of use who can only visit Disney once or twice per decade, and it happens to be when there are cranes and scaffolding surrounding a half-pink castle... it's kind of upsetting.

Anway, I'll have to scan the pictures. They were in September 1996, the transformation was about 3/4 done I think.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by happy snapper
Is it the sign thats unliked or change? I like the sign it does nothing to detract from the park or the attraction. Lets face it we are talking about a theme park icon not a major piece of art thats historically important.

Actually, I eould consider Spaceship Earth to be a major piecoe of art, and even a historical landmark. There are people that recognize it, even when they havent been to Epcot, or even know what the heck it is for.

The sign doesnt bother me. I did like it before without the sign, because, from an architect's point of view, it stood for more than just a "theme park icon", it stood for Earth, represented as a big geosphere.

Here is a question, does anyone know what the architect intended in SE's design? Like, what does it stand for, why isn't it rounded off, and instead have a bunch of triangle thinies coming out of it? That would be interesting to know.

Epcot was architectually designed to be symetrical. At the beginning, there were 3 pavillions on both sides, the CommuniCores were both designed the exact same, the gardens out front were symetrical, and of course, SE was the giant geosphere, a symetrical shape.

The Leave A Legacy still carries out symmetry, but the sign throws it off, as it takes up the whole left side of Spaceship Earth.

Not that anyone will think that is a big deal, but from an architect's view point, and with Disney having the history of trying to perfect every bit in their theme parks, that might be a reason not to have the sign.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Originally, the symettery was thought to be futiristic and utopian, but now views have changed and a-symetrical patterns are viewed to be more futuristic.. just look at SPACE's fascade.

-Rob

mickeyfanatics

I usually enter the back of EPCOT now because the graveyard is so depressing and ugly. At least the walk around the world at MK is not looking you in the face.

I have also asked to be buried in the graveyard at the front of EPCOT. I got a few laughs from CM's.

Sketch105

Originally posted by doombuggie
I think Stitch HAS to go because that street scene is supposed o show how forcred perspective can be done. It is supposed to ook like NYC is right there but that stupid stich pic is ruining it!!

-B

Has Stitch invaded the NYC backdrop? Anybody got a picture? I have to see this for myself...

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by happy snapper

Dude! SE is historically important...as a nice geosphere though, not as something with a tacky sign on it's head! :lol:

As for your good $ on the tile - maybe you should consider it "the price of an education" ! :) The graveyard needs to go! IMHO, that is.

Piglet

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

Here is a question, does anyone know what the architect intended in SE's design? Like, what does it stand for, why isn't it rounded off, and instead have a bunch of triangle thinies coming out of it? That would be interesting to know.

I believe that SE was designed like that, so that it collects all of the rainwater that falls upon it and this is then in turn channelled down through these triangles and recycled elsewhere. I don't know where it eventually goes to unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom