Just Go For It!

AngieTink27

Original Poster
Getting tired of thses northern IN winters, and with DH's recent job situation, we have been throwing around the idea of just packing up and moving down to Florida to either work for or simply be closer to the magic. Life is short, so why not? Y.O.L.O. as the popular saying goes. Has anyone else ever thought of just throwing your hands up and saying what the heck, lets start a new life near the magic? DH and I are going down for a week in May and may kick the tires as far as searching for apts or rental homes in the area. Sometimes it is best to just follow your dream. Anyone here ever make the jump to start over and live near WDW?

Allym146

I'm in wny so I totally get the winter hate, especially this year. That being said, Florida is one of the last places I'd want to live. I'll stick with trips there! But that's just me. If you're really feeling it and can swing it, go for it!

LostPrincessKarleigh

The DBF and I have been toying with the idea lately but no concrete plans have been made. I've gone so far to look at the various roles, aside from entertainment (being a parade performer is the dream!), and I am quite partial to attractions at the moment.
Anyway, have a great trip!

Tribritt

Getting tired of thses northern IN winters, and with DH's recent job situation, we have been throwing around the idea of just packing up and moving down to Florida to either work for or simply be closer to the magic. Life is short, so why not? Y.O.L.O. as the popular saying goes. Has anyone else ever thought of just throwing your hands up and saying what the heck, lets start a new life near the magic? DH and I are going down for a week in May and may kick the tires as far as searching for apts or rental homes in the area. Sometimes it is best to just follow your dream. Anyone here ever make the jump to start over and live near WDW?
Working at the World would be a great dream!

Susan Savia

As much as this snow and ice is getting a little much, by now.....no we would not move there. We like the seasons (our spring and summers are beautifu). It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. The heat and humidity and hurricanes would send me running home.

copcarguyp71

If you have alternate income or are living without debt it might be OK but I just hired a guy who moved his family up to PA for the work. He and his wife (with two kids) have lived in Florida (north, central and south) their whole lives and despite his good job skills they agreed that it was just too difficult anymore to get by. Do your homework carefully as the grass is always greener. Whatever happens good luck to ya!

As a quick addendum...at the risk of sounding racist I will say that Latin American labor legal and...well, otherwise has driven down payscales in FL. That is the feedback that I got from our new employee who came from Port St Lucie which is around Ft Lauderdale. He has been with us for 9 months making roughly 37% more than he was down there at our standard pay rate for his abilities and he is well worth it. He has worked in the vehicle wiring industry for 17 years with many certifications and still could not get ahead despite working his butt off. He has been here 9 months and has been home every night on time for supper with his family...something he could not say in FL as he worked long hours just to make ends meet. Every industry is different of course but I wanted to pass along all that I could.

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

I grew up in Central Florida. No, I will never live there again. Just no. Some places are nice to visit. I have a ton of family in NW Florida and would love to be near them. The hubby just can't take that kind of pay cut and jobs are much harder to come by there.

BTW, I've lived where it doesn't snow my whole life. Hurricanes are fun!

HouCuseChickie

Definitely do your research before taking that big leap. I lived in Florida for a while after I completed my undergrad, but left for Texas for better opportunities. If you do pursue careers in FL, I'd also look to all of the major cities. FL is still hurting from the economic downturn (my parents and brother live in south FL and I get an earful on it from my mom at least once a week), but there are areas/job sectors that are rebounding which could be good considerations for a career path. Good luck :)

VitaminjTX

We have thought the same thing recently. We live in South Eastern Texas so, the weather wouldn't be that different. Our only concern is if we could live on the ridiculously low pay that CMs get paid. It may take several jobs to live in the Orlando area.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Like the weather but its too flat. Maybe one day we will split our time between the UK and SoCal. But only when we retire and thanks to the greedy bankers that wont be for a few years yet.

MattC

Well, you have to do what works for you, but central Florida isn't for everyone. The wife and I live in northern Florida, Jacksonville, and that's as "Florida" as I can't get. We love to visit our friends and family in Orlando and Miami. Don't plan on ever living there though.

R W B

The DBF and I have been toying with the idea lately but no concrete plans have been made. I've gone so far to look at the various roles, aside from entertainment (being a parade performer is the dream!), and I am quite partial to attractions at the moment.
Anyway, have a great trip!

Do what you all want but please do your homework first. Disney doesn't pay regular employees even close to decent wages, due to all the college programs kids they get they don't have to pay good.

Poofiesdream

Did you know you can apply for a job at Disney on line? Set up an interview while your here. We moved from CT to the Palm Bch area about 3 hours south of Disney 29 yrs ago. We love it here! Central Florida being inland does get hotter in the summer, no sea breezes, and colder in the winter but nothing like up north! Good Luck!!

Goofyernmost

Back when I lived in Vermont, I used to dream about living in the south generally, or Florida specifically. At age 53, I abandoned my previous career and took lessons in bus driving. I knew that bus driving was transferable to almost anyplace I went, but, specifically to be a Disney Bus Driver. At the time the uniform included Purple Pants, which wouldn't have been my first choice, but, the good with the bad, I always say.

The whole change was targeting the idea that I wanted to retire and spend my winters in a warmer area, but, I never thought that Florida in the summer was a good idea. Live in Vermont in the summer and go to Florida in the winter and earn some money driving. That was the plan.

As things turned out, both my daughters and their families moved, independently to the Raleigh area and I decided that they weren't going to get rid of me that easy. After 1 & 2 years respectively, I cut all my ties to the north and moved permanently to North Carolina. Now that I am here I realize that the idea of working even part time for Disney was going to take away what I considered my escape from life and make it part of my life. It also turned out that NC offered more job opportunities for me as well as the rest of my family, had seasons, just not as severe.
Well maybe summers could be considered severely hot, but nothing like Florida.
I can drive to WDW in 10 hours. (easy day trip)

Moral of the story, the grass isn't always greener in the direction you are looking. Sometimes compromise is the best thing even though it didn't appear that way at the time.

EOD K9

The other thing to realize, it may not be as magical if you are so close. It may get stale fairly quick....like a soda bottle left without the top for a few hours.

Magenta Panther

Did you know you can apply for a job at Disney on line? Set up an interview while your here. We moved from CT to the Palm Bch area about 3 hours south of Disney 29 yrs ago. We love it here! Central Florida being inland does get hotter in the summer, no sea breezes, and colder in the winter but nothing like up north! Good Luck!!

Can you tell us whereabouts you live in Orlando - what area? I too have thought about moving, but I've been considering Davenport or Winter Garden...

mf1972

I couldn't live down there. mostly it'll be the heat. as some people said, pay doesn't seem well in the area. we're in the medical field. not sure what hospitals pay down there. nice place to visit, that's enough for me.

donaldtoo

During the economic downturn I was layed off from my architectural firm and I turned to retail. The main retail job I had for 4+ years was at our local Disney Store. With what I was paid, though, I had to work at least one other retail job, but, most of the time I had two other retail jobs. Disney payed the least, even when I was a lead mgr. for one+ year. Fortunately, I'm now back with my old firm and you can guess the extreme economic difference.
Mine and DWs plan has always been to retire as CMs at WDW. "Retired" meaning that we would never have to depend on the low wages they pay to exist. We would already have enough to live on for the rest of our lives, and would just work at WDW for the fun of it.
Otherwise, forget it. Sorry, but, as a front line CM, or even in a lower management position, you're not gonna' make a "living" working there.

AngieTink27

Original Poster
The other thing to realize, it may not be as magical if you are so close. It may get stale fairly quick....like a soda bottle left without the top for a few hours.
I just cannot imagine that happening. Some things are hard to get sick of, and Disney is one of them for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom