Just Engaged: An August 2010 Trip Report!

As the title suggests, this was an especially exciting trip for us and I can’t wait to share all of the fun details. Seeing as how I am lucky enough to write one of these every few months or so, I’m going to forego the normal introductions. Instead, why don’t I share five non-Disney things you might not already know about the two of us? Let’s see... non-Disney stuff?! This might be hard!

1 – We love live music! Seriously, aside from Disney, this is what we spend money on. Some of our favorite artists we’ve seen live include David Gray, Ben Folds, Brandi Carlile, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, KT Tunstall, She & Him, Jack Johnson, A Fine Frenzy, Counting Crows, Nickel Creek, and Jimmy Buffett to name a few.

2 – We name inanimate objects and refer to them as such... this is especially true for electronics, and oddly enough they really do take on personalities. No,seriously! For example, our laptops are Petunia (mine) and Frances (his); our Garmin’s are Neville and Navi; and my camera is more affectionately known as Ginger. Weird? Maybe just a little bit. :ROFLOL:

3 – As much as I hate to admit it, we are complete and utter TV junkies. We LOVE our TV. And if I had to pick the one show we are jointly most excited to see this fall season it would have to be Dexter. Bring on the creepy.

4 – We are totally one of those couples who met at a bar. It just so happened that we both worked there while in college. Ahhh... everyone loves a good cliché, right?! :lookaroun

5 – We have a standing tradition of buying one another a book to celebrate each holiday. And when I say holiday, I mean every holiday you can think of from St. Patrick’s Day to Christmas. Usually the only time we stray outside the lines is on birthdays. We’ve built quite an impressive collection so far ranging from popular fiction to non-fiction, children’s books to biographies and we throw in some Disney “coffee table” books and “Art of’s” for good measure every now and then. Amazon is our friend! As are the myriad of used book stores we come across in the different places we visit. We already have enough to fill our own library when we buy a house!

Of course, no introduction is complete without the requisite photo, but for the heck of it, let’s go “old school.” Here we are with the elusive Rescue Rangers in 2004:

Nov04040.jpg

We started planning this trip sometime after the Princess Half Marathon and eventually booked when the AP rates came out earlier in the summer. To be more precise, while I was in the midst of a quick weekend trip with my mom, Brett called and made the resort reservations, solidifying our stay at Caribbean Beach from August 13-August 17. And then, as per usual, we decided we would drive down after work on Thursday, so we booked a hotel through priceline for the night of the 12th.

Just the other day I realized that we haven’t repeated a resort since I began writing trip reports... so here’s a look back:
The Contemporary – September 2008
Old Key West – December 2008
Port Orleans Riverside – January 2009
Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom Lodge – July 2009
The Beach Club – December 2009
Pop Century – March 2010
Coronado Springs – June 2010

We were both incredibly excited for this trip because we felt like it was our first truly “us” trip in a long while that spanned a decent amount of time and didn’t include some kind of endurance event to focus on. :eek: Okay, so I’m not gonna lie... I went into this trip “hoping” there’d be a little something special, but not really expecting it. There was one small detail that tipped me off ahead of time. I ALWAYS maintain the reservations and type up a minimal list of our dining plans/confirmation #s and before I could do it for this trip, Brett told me he typed it up at work one day when he had some free time. Hmmmm... interesting. I started wondering if he’d made some changes to the dining. And then I started thinking, why would he have any reason to mess with our dining?! I tried to dismiss this thought though, mostly because I didn’t want to be disappointed if it turned out he wasn’t planning on proposing. Thankfully, he did! So let’s get to it…

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Next we crossed back over to the other side of the park for one last tour to Endor. Now, I’ve never really been a fan of this ride, to be honest it makes me a little queasy... but anything for that new fiancé of mine. Actually, seeing that it was going down for a major refurb, like so many others, I felt the need to ride it again.

IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

Once on the ride, the CM came in to give his “may the Force be with you” spiel and singled Brett and I out, saying that we would really need the Force as we were embarking on our new adventure, especially because he was sensing a bit of the Dark Side coming from our direction. Everyone clapped for us and then we were on our way.

IMG_6275.jpg

“Brakes... BRAKES... Where are the BRAKES?!” We always quote different phrases from rides/pre-shows and after riding Star Tours we got stuck on this one.

IMG_6274.jpg

Some gratuitous shots of Gertie as we walked back towards Pixar Place:

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

IMG_6252.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
In Pixar Place, the Drill Sergeant had a pose line going, which was a lot of fun:

IMG_6282.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6285.jpg

We were excited to see the addition of Bonnie’s toys when we rode TSMM. I think it’s great that they can make these little changes so easily due to the digital screens; however, I fear that it’s going to become too easy to leave animatronics out of future rides/shows for the very same reason. Darn, double-edged sword.

Some of you may know this guy, he’s classically trained (don’t let the blur keep you from seeing just how adorable he really is):

IMG_6295.jpg

We were hot and hungry and in need of some nice cold adult beverages, so we started making our way out of the Studios for the morning. If you look really, really closely you might be able to make out Officer Duncan Donut in the brush. Don’t get too upset with yourself if you can’t spot him though. After all he has disguised himself so well! :ROFLOL:

IMG_6302duncan_donut.jpg

I love the Citizens of Hollywood. This next skit is one I’d never seen before. Every time some oblivious person (myself for instance) walked down the road between these two, Director Otto Von Bahn Bon would yell “CUT” and the actress would whine incessantly about how the director should’ve brought barricades to keep all the nobodies from interrupting her shot. Classic.

IMG_6303.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Over at DTD, we were debating between the Earl and Rainforest for lunch. Rainforest won out because we really wanted to sit down and enjoy a drink while waiting for our food, instead of having to hunt for a table at this time of day.

I love Brett’s eyes rolling at the ridiculousness that is me taking food pictures. He says it’s as if I’ve never seen a drink before!

IMG_6313.jpg

IMG_6315.jpg

We shared the Flying Dragon and slurped down our drinks before heading out the door. According to our ranking system, the Rainforest gets 2 Noms… while the pizza was good, it’s just pizza. However, the drinks were worth all the noms in the world that day. We dropped in a couple shops to burn some time because we still hadn’t received the text that our room was ready. And as you can see we were running out of things to do with ourselves:

IMG_6322.jpg

Next up: we finally get checked into our room! :sohappy:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Ring pictures are a MUST! :sohappy:

You snuck this post in there, I amost missed it! I promise to include ring pictures in the next update!

CONGRATS (again)! You guys are so adorable, which we all know from previous TRs and 'lotso lovin', but I'm so happy for you both =)

And good on him for droppin' down right there. If you both 'knew', may as well celebrate!

Waiting for more, maybe tomorrow you can help me through the Psychology of Women ;)

.. and for God sake's let's see a picture of the carefully chosen rock.

Thanks, Kenzie! Yeah, the secret was out as soon as he pulled up to the Poly guardshack and told the gentleman we were checking in. :eek: There was really no way of hiding it after that. But he still managed to totally shock me because the last thing I expected was for it to happen IMMEDIATELY.

Ehh, the Psychology of Women, I vaguely recall some such class. Have fun with that! And I promise, the next update will include some ring shots.

KnK

I've been waiting all day for this Holly......so glad he didn't make you wait.....I'm not sure many of us could have waited any longer for the big moment as well.

Permanent smiles for both of you, can't wait to see the scrapebook pages you come up with!

DiPSU224

Yay! Another HollyBelle TR! I enjoy your TR's so much....

Congrats on the engagement! Can't wait to see pics of the ring!

And thanks for the links to your old reports...they're making a long night at work a little better...can't wait for the rest! :)

ohhector

Loving the trip report so far! The proposal story got me very teary eyed!

Few notes:

- That "a book a holiday" thing is brilliant

- Those meatball sliders look delicious!

-"At 5:30 am the alarm went off and I happily hopped out of bed! Seriously, Disney is the only thing that can put pep in my step at that time of day."
So true! I have no problem waking up early, and going to bed early, to full enjoy the WDW experience....first in line, baby!

"We exchanged a knowing look as we were pulling up to the entrance. He knew, I knew." hahaha that's really cute.

Can't wait to read the rest

Brett

I set my Garmin on the "British male" voice so I could pretend it was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I wind up calling it Daniel. My mother, however, calls it "Talkin' Joe". :ROFLOL:

That is pretty awesome. If I get a new Garmin one day, I might steal this idea and name it either Zaphod Beeblebrox or Ford Prefect.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I've been waiting all day for this Holly......so glad he didn't make you wait.....I'm not sure many of us could have waited any longer for the big moment as well.

Permanent smiles for both of you, can't wait to see the scrapebook pages you come up with!

You and me both, Kris. :lol: It was so nice to spend the whole trip enjoying the Polynesian and not wondering when it was going to happen. And he still managed to completely surprise me even though I knew it was coming.

Yay! Another HollyBelle TR! I enjoy your TR's so much....

Congrats on the engagement! Can't wait to see pics of the ring!

And thanks for the links to your old reports...they're making a long night at work a little better...can't wait for the rest! :)

Ahh... glad I could help you pass the time at work!! I'm guilty of the same thing on non-busy days (and even on some busy ones :lookaroun). Thanks for the well wishes.

Congratulations to you and Brett! Hopefully there is a Disney honeymoon in your future?? :D

--Shannon

Thanks, Shannon... there's definitely going to be some Disney incorporated into the wedding/honeymoon plans! I hope the training for the Princess is coming along!

Loving the trip report so far! The proposal story got me very teary eyed!

Few notes:

- That "a book a holiday" thing is brilliant

- Those meatball sliders look delicious!

-"At 5:30 am the alarm went off and I happily hopped out of bed! Seriously, Disney is the only thing that can put pep in my step at that time of day."
So true! I have no problem waking up early, and going to bed early, to full enjoy the WDW experience....first in line, baby!

"We exchanged a knowing look as we were pulling up to the entrance. He knew, I knew." hahaha that's really cute.

Can't wait to read the rest

Thanks, ohhector! The book giving really is fun, and rather inexpensive. Plus, it still has the element of surprise.

You are so right about getting there early. I noticed you have a turnstile picture in your trip report. I took one of those this trip, as we were the first ones there. :lol:

Speaking of your report, you have a great eye for composition... I'm a big fan of your detail shots, especially.

Oh yes, and the meatball sliders WERE delicious!

I forgot how good those meatballs were. We gotta go back for lunch next trip. NOM NOM NOM!

And next time you can get all chicken meatballs!!! :D

OMG Congrats to you both, I sat here and read all trip stuff with excitment. I was having a pretty blah day here at work and now I am all excited and happy.
You guys are so cute and I am so very happy for the both of you.
I am sure you had the bestest time ever ever at the Poly. I hope one day my hubby and I spend maybe a couple days there. Looking forward to rest of your trip report Holly.

Enjoy your engagement ok. :wave::sohappy:YIPPIE!!!!!:sohappy::sohappy:

Ariel484

Thanks, Shannon... there's definitely going to be some Disney incorporated into the wedding/honeymoon plans! I hope the training for the Princess is coming along!

Oh good, I wouldn't expect anything less from 2 fellow Disney freaks! :D

Training? What is this training you speak of? :lookaroun
I kid...it's coming along, slowly but surely. Hopefully the motivation to run will still be there when it starts snowing though...

lisak09

Congratulations:). The proposal was so romantic i was getting a bit weepy! Will it be a WDW wedding? My SIL has been talking about getting married lately so i've been pushing for a disney wedding but i don't think shes interested:eek:. I would love to go to a wedding in WDW that would be amazing!

Brett

Next we crossed back over to the other side of the park for one last tour to Endor. Now, I’ve never really been a fan of this ride, to be honest it makes me a little queasy... but anything for that new fiancé of mine.

This is the definition of our love. Nice. :lol:

Brett

What about Marvin? Can you just imagine Marvin the Garmin?? :ROFLOL:

hahaha, nice. I'd definitely go with Marvin, but I fear that the simple task of creating driving directions would drive Marvin further into depression... leading me to drive off a cliff.

KnK

That is pretty awesome. If I get a new Garmin one day, I might steal this idea and name it either Zaphod Beeblebrox or Ford Prefect.

Brett, congrats! Glad you're making an honest woman of her......finally.

Thanks for not keeping us in suspense!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom